Unhappy Phuket

stuandchris

Just been reading some research that has placed Phuket as the unhappiest region to live out of all 77 provinces, this is a poll amongst Thai's, not farangs.

Seems money can't buy happiness after all.

Could you post a link? I used to be happier here too, but low season is coming again soon, maybe things will be good again... All the seasonal workers and tourists can go back to their happy place!

Just been reading some research that has placed Phuket as the unhappiest region to live out of all 77 provinces, this is a poll amongst Thai's, not farangs.

Seems money can't buy happiness after all.

Could you post a link? I used to be happier here too, but low season is coming again soon, maybe things will be good again... All the seasonal workers and tourists can go back to their happy place!

Not likely.

Low season this year there will be a influx of Australians leaving a cold winter back home and a cheaper Phuket.

Well it's possibly the most expensive province in the country to live in.

I wouldn't be too happy if I'd been priced out of my own country so the rich can milk the tourists either...

Ball park 90% of the Thais you meet on Phuket were not born here, they choose to come here for (usually) financial reasons.

Hard to be unhappy with the pricing out when its that same effect which is your motivation for coming.

These last few years one of my jobs has required me to frequently travel to and deal with Thai's in many area's outside Phuket. The difference between the attitudes is very noticeable. The Thai's meet outside Phuket are generally much more friendly, courteous and helpful.

That feeling is generally apparent when you visit.

I know this about 'residents' but I visited for a week, last year, and it was "O.K." but I have no desire to rush back.

I was aware of taxi/tuk-tuk driver attitudes but this seemed to spread to a lot of the service industry.

That feeling is generally apparent when you visit.

I know this about 'residents' but I visited for a week, last year, and it was "O.K." but I have no desire to rush back.

I was aware of taxi/tuk-tuk driver attitudes but this seemed to spread to a lot of the service industry.

<BR>
<BR>
<FONT color=#1c2837><FONT size=2>Just been reading some research that has placed Phuket as the unhappiest region to live out of all 77 provinces, this is a poll amongst Thai's, not farangs.<BR><BR>Seems money can't buy happiness after all. </FONT></FONT>
<BR>Could you post a link? I used to be happier here too, but low season is coming again soon, maybe things will be good again... All the seasonal workers and tourists can go back to their happy place!<BR>
<BR>Not likely.<BR>Low season this year there will be a influx of Australians leaving a cold winter back home and a cheaper Phuket.<BR>
<BR><BR>Plenty of cheap flights, strong exchange rate. Winter in the southern states. Surely Phuket will appeal to plenty of Aussies.<BR> Cant be bad for the upcoming low season Edited by Scabo

Plenty of cheap flights, strong exchange rate. Winter in the southern states. Surely Phuket will appeal to plenty of Aussies. Cant be bad for the upcoming low season

I guess if you think of Phuket as being Patong and Kata, you are probably be right... The Ozzies come every year in the low season...

These last few years one of my jobs has required me to frequently travel to and deal with Thai's in many area's outside Phuket. The difference between the attitudes is very noticeable. The Thai's meet outside Phuket are generally much more friendly, courteous and helpful.

I have seen this in more countries: rural people being more friendly and not so money driven then(big) city folks.

(i am from a city)

I have seen this in more countries: rural people being more friendly and not so money driven then(big) city folks.

(i am from a city)

I wouldn't really say I was going from big city folk to country folk, more like one tourist resort area to another, specifically KhaoLak, Krabi, and Samui. Though I will say the few times I was in Pattaya I felt the feeling from the locals was the same as in Phuket.

I wouldn't really say I was going from big city folk to country folk, more like one tourist resort area to another, specifically KhaoLak, Krabi, and Samui. Though I will say the few times I was in Pattaya I felt the feeling from the locals was the same as in Phuket.

I was in Ao nang a month or so ago with a Thai friend who's lived in Phuket for 15 years. One of the first things she noticed and mentioned after a walk around town was that the Thai people in Ao nang haven't changed and are still nice people. It did seem like a much friendlier and happier place to me.

Interesting poll. Why are you dudes so pissed off down there?

Well, my base of operations is Patong. I have been elsewhere in Thailand. I suppose what drives my annoyance and resentment is that "elsewhere" is much more the Thailand I came to be be fond of, to cherish my time in and to actually like the people, food and parts of the culture. I cant blame anyone for the unpleasantness of Patong since it is my choice (out of necessity). When you spend a lot of time in Patong you feel that your body is being attacked by leeches, mosquitos and centipedes 24/7. Phuket is probably one of the most in your face hubs of corruption in Thailand where everything from the top down has the taint of dishonesty and malfeasance.

Patong isn't Phuket and Phuket isn't Thailand. And that is why the unhappiest people will be closer to Patong than elsewhere. The unhappiness rating has to be put in context. Would one rather live next to a sewage pit or next to a beautiful meadow filled with flowers and critters frolicing in the mist? wink.gif The Thais that come from other parts of Thailand compare Phuket to their homes and that's why Phuket will always come up short. Let's face it, if you came from a friendly village in Surat Thani or Surin, would you be happy in a place like Phuket? Thailand is a beautiful country with some wonderful people, and the real loveable Thailand is outside of Phuket (and Pattaya).