Thai Domestic ATM Fees To Be Reduced

webfact

Wonder if they'll reduce the 150 Baht foreign card usage fees also...unsure.gif

I noticed the other day that Siam Commercial don't charge me anything to withdraw from my Hong Kong based Hang Seng bank account.

I've tried 2 Siam Commercial ATMs and both times there was no fee.

I bank here with Kasikorn and out of habit always used their ATMs, even when using my HK ATM card and always got charged the 150 baht, so was pleasantly surprised that Siam Commercial don't charge.

SCB is notorious for Heavy charges for many things and Poor exchange rate. I ain't believe yah...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are not LOSING 100 mill bht, only losing what they got for free in the first place.

You pay for opening an account, virtually get no interest, pay for an atm card, pay to close an account, pay yearly fees for having your account.

What do you get in return--NOWT. All they get is what I mentioned, plus OUR MONEY they keep and use to lend others at a rate of borrowing 10% + They have a nerve.

How long have they been charging at a.t.m.? they should have quite a bit of revenue from it. Now they say they are going to lose money.. A JOKE April 1st early

Where you come from ? you sure in your country the banks are free of charge ? in Italy and in all other countries from my experience banks are a pain. So before speak like many other how shit is this or that in Thailand check your home country and much more if you don't like what they do here why you are here ? why you not go back home and make this place free of people like you ? Too many users here only like to speak bad about Thailand but still always here, live here and spend money here so why speak ? Shut up is better or if you are a man go back home and live in your country.

This comment is for everyone who usually speak bad about this and that but still live here. Is really annoying to read every time always the same shit from people who live here but usually speak bad about this place. There isn't a perfect country where to live so if you are here respect where you are and their rules or go back home.

I agree with you. I read all the time with many people putting Thailand down so why live here? I'm from the USA and love living here in Thailand. It is not a perfect country but it is the country i'm living in and enjoy it here very much. Just don't understand why people are bashing Thailand so much.

They are not LOSING 100 mill bht, only losing what they got for free in the first place.

You pay for opening an account, virtually get no interest, pay for an atm card, pay to close an account, pay yearly fees for having your account.

What do you get in return--NOWT. All they get is what I mentioned, plus OUR MONEY they keep and use to lend others at a rate of borrowing 10% + They have a nerve.

How long have they been charging at a.t.m.? they should have quite a bit of revenue from it. Now they say they are going to lose money.. A JOKE April 1st early

Where you come from ? you sure in your country the banks are free of charge ? in Italy and in all other countries from my experience banks are a pain. So before speak like many other how shit is this or that in Thailand check your home country and much more if you don't like what they do here why you are here ? why you not go back home and make this place free of people like you ? Too many users here only like to speak bad about Thailand but still always here, live here and spend money here so why speak ? Shut up is better or if you are a man go back home and live in your country.

This comment is for everyone who usually speak bad about this and that but still live here. Is really annoying to read every time always the same shit from people who live here but usually speak bad about this place. There isn't a perfect country where to live so if you are here respect where you are and their rules or go back home.

In NZ, there are bank accounts that do NOT charge any basic fees, ATMs etc..

Conditions apply(sic) as is normal.

Stick within the rules and your banking is free.

Main condition, if any, seems to be a minimum balance, which many low earners may have trouble keeping.

If your superanuation is direct credited, no fees apply.

Cross bank transactions, like other bank ATMs can incur 120 Baht fee, NZ$6.00, extortionate.

Use your own bank ATMs, no problem.

Withdraw cash at supermarkets, no charge.

Check everything.

Edited by Zpete

Well they are losing more compared to what they were charging,so, expect a new idea to recoup the alleged loss. Dont mention the 150bts for non thai, that is not a profit it just covers the adminstration and ATM mechanic! Only just though.

Not sure where you got that idea... Thais (not farang) make the vast majority of ATM transactions in Thailand... The costs of running the ATM network are spread across the entire bank network, not allocated only to farang customers.

I think it's pretty certain that the 150 baht per ATM withdrawal fee charged non-Thai bank cards is well above what it actually costs the Thai banks to handle those transactions.

PS - I'd always be willing to be surprised... But I'd say the odds are about one in a million that they're doing to do anything to decrease the 150 baht ATM fee for farang bank cards.

Edited by jfchandler

I noticed the other day that Siam Commercial don't charge me anything to withdraw from my Hong Kong based Hang Seng bank account.

I bank here with Kasikorn and out of habit always used their ATMs, even when using my HK ATM card and always got charged the 150 baht, so was pleasantly surprised that Siam Commercial don't charge.

Just use AEON - no fees for overseas CC ATM withdrawals.

The day BKK bank charge me a fee to withdraw my money from my account is the day I close it.

Well they are losing more compared to what they were charging,so, expect a new idea to recoup the alleged loss. Dont mention the 150bts for non thai, that is not a profit it just covers the adminstration and ATM mechanic! Only just though.

Not sure where you got that idea... Thais (not farang) make the vast majority of ATM transactions in Thailand... The costs of running the ATM network are spread across the entire bank network, not allocated only to farang customers.

I think it's pretty certain that the 150 baht per ATM withdrawal fee charged non-Thai bank cards is well above what it actually costs the Thai banks to handle those transactions.

PS - I'd always be willing to be surprised... But I'd say the odds are about one in a million that they're doing to do anything to decrease the 150 baht ATM fee for farang bank cards.

it sounds like you are workin' in a Thai bank... to me.. dude.

And to cover all the cost of maintianin' these ATMs that 's why giving poor exchange rate is together with 150B charge then.........holy crap...

Where you come from ? you sure in your country the banks are free of charge ? in Italy and in all other countries from my experience banks are a pain.

Hm. in germany i have a free bank account with free ATM card, free VISA card and get 1.65% interest. And the best thing: they gurantee free money withdrawal worldwide - and always refund the 150 THB fee when used in Thailand so far :-)

if anyone is interested: www.dkb.de

Wow that is good.

I also get my account and card free (UK bank) and my interest is just under 4%.

Refunding money, now that is delicious, if only "Ich wurde Deutsche"

Well if you get annoyed reading this & that from others who live here & add to the forum, the answer is SIMPLE just stay of :whistling:

I don't want to protect the banks because after all they as well the insurance companies are the modern highway robbers but comparing the fees in Thailand to the fees in Germany for example is definitely harmless. In Germany they started without any fees many years back but now you pay for every transaction doesn't matter from where to where. Even talking money from the ATM cost you money. That's why they can build all those office palaces, pay their executives big bonuses and loose our money in questionable investments which again are bailed out by the tax payers. :bah:

This is the greatest BS ever! If you are 2 dumb to have your account at the right bank in Germany than you pay. However there are several german banks that do not charge a single penny for worldwide!!! Atm transaction, even if you use your german Visa card with the ATM in Thailand (Bank will refund the 150 baht).

Your last comment tops everything! It is stupid people like you that allow banks to built sumptous offices ONLY because YOU do not compare prices. Germany has a perfectly functioning retail banking system, which is the most efficient and cheapest system of the world. READ again I said retail banking not investment banking.

bank directors in thailand should go to europe to learn bank managing regarding customers.

deutsche bank in belgium gives me a mastercard, debit card, internet access, mail of banking activities and bank account for free.

interest rate is 2.20% on savings free of taxes if less than 1900 euro of interest per year.

rabobank, dhb, record bank, abnamro and others are also free of charge but those ones don't offer all the services like deutsche bank.

All this fuss and bother over ATM charges, and the poor banks are going to lose money.

I've had an idea !!!

Why don't the banks do the following :

a) Provide an efficient service.

B) Treat their customers as customers, not as animals with money to give to the banks

c) Give decent interest rates to depositors, when they charge sky-high lending rates.

d) Ask their staff to WORK during opening hours.

That way the banks might even make a little more than they do now.

All I can say is Thank God for thaivsia otherwise where would u all have to complain.

You guys are amzing. complaining abou less than a $1 to withdraw money. :lol:

We don't complain, we love paying $4 1/2. to draw+ the european charge10$--just for $300

I've been here for two years now, and can prove 65,000bhat income. So i have never had to deal with the money mongers... here. What a joke. I loose what it costes me to make a cash debit. Which is very little. Compared to guys with accounts... It is just highway robbery..

What ginjag wrote is the truth ( i know because i have an account here ) , i fail to see what is bad

about telling it as it is, you should get out more. :D

Thanks chupup, Look at #47 ha ha my god, did I speak something wrong? amazing. two of them must have got a thorn in their foot along the way :lol:

Doubtful, and besides, why should they? 150 Baht = approx 30 Norwegian Kroner. A decent cup of coffee costs Kr. 35 in most Norwegian cities. So, manage the number of cash withdrawals to once and month, and get on with your super cheap cost of living experience. I really struggled in Norway for 18 years, having moved there from Australia. In London at the moment, and can't wait to get back to Thailand, I don't begrudge the 150 Bt withdrawal fee. It's a pretty cheap way of accessing my cash, what there is of it. In my town where I am the only visible farang, there are two ATMs, but nothing can be purchased with cards anywhere. It's only at service stations out on the highway, or Tesco > 30 minutes away.

I mean, what do you want exactly .. everything free? Have you nothing better to do than bitch about actually having to pay for something?

I can't speak for the ATM withdrawal fees for the whole of Europe,

but in the UK most Banks do not charge for Internal withdrawals.

Those that do,are charging £1-50 (75 Baht) , which at today's Exchange Rate,is near half of the 150 Baht charged by most Thai Banks.

Thai Banks are not exactly being generous,are they?

I sometimes wonder if anyone can read on this forum. The article is talking about ATM transfers and inter bank.

Under the recently agreed conditions, customers making same-bank, cross-city money transfer for the first time in each month can do so free of charge. For other transfers in the same month, ATM cardholders will be charged a flat rate of 15 baht for each transfer. Customers making same-bank, cross-city cash withdrawals will be charged a flat rate of 20 baht for each transaction.

Customers will be given free service for cross-bank, same-city cash withdrawals and balance enquiries for the first four times of each month. A 10-baht fee will be charged on the fifth time, both in Bangkok and other provinces.

It has nothing to do with with drawing money from your own bank account, at your own bank. They still will charge you for inter province use of your ATM card to withdraw your money and they will still charge you for inter province transfers. I do still find that annoying, especially when I use internet banking and no one does any work, other than me.

As far as the 150 foreign ATM, there wasn't one until a few years ago. There weren't a lot of fees until a few years ago. Everything was cheaper a few years ago too. The price of "progress?"

Doubtful, and besides, why should they? 150 Baht = approx 30 Norwegian Kroner. A decent cup of coffee costs Kr. 35 in most Norwegian cities. So, manage the number of cash withdrawals to once and month, and get on with your super cheap cost of living experience. I really struggled in Norway for 18 years, having moved there from Australia. In London at the moment, and can't wait to get back to Thailand, I don't begrudge the 150 Bt withdrawal fee. It's a pretty cheap way of accessing my cash, what there is of it. In my town where I am the only visible farang, there are two ATMs, but nothing can be purchased with cards anywhere. It's only at service stations out on the highway, or Tesco > 30 minutes away.

I mean, what do you want exactly .. everything free? Have you nothing better to do than bitch about actually having to pay for something?

The point is we can't stand the Banks rip off. It 's not much but we don't suppose to pay it.

Don't you see how the banks make money out of their clients? " commercial banks might lose at least 100 million baht in income because of the fee adjustment; however, he believed they will be able to find other sources of income to compensate the loss." They have the business logic in the head and at the end of fiscal year they announce heavy profit to attract new shareholders to buy their securities. It's considered little for some of you but for me. When I spend money, there gotta be enough reason though.

Well if you get annoyed reading this & that from others who live here & add to the forum, the answer is SIMPLE just stay of :whistling:

I'll have to agree with you Chupup... This is a forum and batblaster is: offtopic.gif.... What was the topic again? ATM transfer and inter bank ATM fees? I try to avoid them! I guess batblaster likes to give his money away....

All you moaning about 150bht foreign card charges, why don't you just go to Aeon bank where it's free :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever researched the viability of Thai banks, assets ,Government guarantees that your money is safe? I haven't and don't know anyone that has,ignorance is bliss !!!

Hey batblaster who put something on your stawberries today--lighten up I live here and enjoy-my reply was o.k. wasn't anti Thai..it was the banks that were complaining about losing monies. I said they don't do too bad out of the deal. forum is for fair critics, your stance is not good.

All I can say is Thank God for thaivsia otherwise where would u all have to complain.

You guys are amzing. complaining abou less than a $1 to withdraw money. :lol:

150 baht is $5 not $1 do you understand exchange rates?

All you moaning about 150bht foreign card charges, why don't you just go to Aeon bank where it's free :rolleyes:

I use AEON ATMs and have for the past couple years.... But, as my fellow TV members here often remind me, not everyone happens to live or work near an AEON ATM location, since they're fairly more sparsely spread out compared to those of the larger commercial Thai banks.

The most cheating ATM i found is the one at Jomtien at the too expensive supermarket near View Talay 1:

-withdraw 20000 thb with a card got from a Jomtien bank and you pay 25 thb fee without any reason !!! (even if it's the first time of the month that you withdraw from any ATM)

I suggest you call them up and ask for explanation. If you use a Thai bank card, you shouldn't be paying cos it's in the same province.

Which bank is it? can you share with us?

Edited by dunkin2012