Thailand's 'iron Lady' Pressured To Resign

george

Thailand's 'Iron Lady' Pressured to Resign

BANGKOK: -- - The biggest problem for Jaruvan Maintaka is that she knows too much - about corrupt politicians, shady tycoons and multimillion-dollar rip-offs. And that may well cost Thailand's ``Iron Lady'' her job as the country's first auditor-general.

Jaruvan has been locked out of her office and had her salary frozen, but she refuses to resign unless King Bhumibol Adulyadej endorses the government's pick to replace her. In a move with few precedents, the revered constitutional monarch hasn't signed off on the nomination.

The case has heightened political tensions, generated debate about possible rifts between the government and Royal Palace and focused the spotlight on massive corruption in and around the regime of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

``Jaruvan's tenacity in going after big-time crooks has become the stuff of legend,'' The Nation newspaper wrote recently. ``With only half of her term gone she has amassed a menagerie of adversaries - from vested interests to corrupt politicians - and in the process became a target for elimination.''

The 58-year-old civil servant was appointed in 2001 to head the new auditor-general's office, an independent body created to track state financial transactions and spot signs of corruption.

Initially viewed as a ``paper tiger,'' she set about her job with aggressiveness and a razor-sharp intellect. Soon the MBA graduate from Michigan State University had gained a reputation for outspokenness and what she jokingly describes as male-like behavior that comes from being the eldest sibling and thus treated like a boy by her father.

A devout Roman Catholic in this predominantly Buddhist country, Jaruvan, a mother of three children, says she also gains strength and protection from her faith and God.

In her new job, Jaruvan dug into unscrupulous deals and exposed corrupt tactics that boggle the mind by their subtle deviousness and scale. She estimates that corruption in state-related projects costs the country more than $9.7 billion every year.

Her probes, which resulted in the removal of top ministry officials, uncovered corruption or irregularities in highway construction projects, Bangkok's new international airport, procurement of medicines at government hospitals, long-distance telephone service in rural areas and a government plan to compensate farmers whose chickens were infected with avian flu.

``I have been a fighter all my life, and if I am right I will continue to fight,'' Jaruvan said in an interview with the Bangkok Post earlier this year. ``If I had just turned a blind eye or looked the other way, none of this would have happened.''

Jaruvan's troubles began in July last year when the Constitution Court ruled that the process leading to her appointment was unconstitutional. But critics and opposition politicians say that minor legal points were brought up simply to bring her down and that the move was a trademark of Thaksin's regime - eroding independent, democratic institutions for the benefit of the ruling elite and its cronies.

When a new candidate, Visut Montriwat, a former senior official in the Finance Ministry, was submitted for royal endorsement June 10, the king did not assent - for the first time since Thaksin took power in 2001 - and Jaruvan in turn said she would only resign by royal command. The deadlock continues.

``What the king is doing is to make things right and he has the right to do so according to the Constitution,'' says Sulak Sivaraksa, a social critic who has written books on the Thai monarchy. ``If Thaksin understands this, he has to immediately revise the decision. He should not push (the issue) further.''

--AP 2005-09-19

Lets hope someday a women with this much honesty and integirty be in power and lead Thailand to eventual prosperity. I would love to just write to her and let her know how much I support her :D. Any suggestion(s)? :o Anything for the GREAT KING :D Edited by OZONE

Thailand's 'Iron Lady' Pressured to Resign

BANGKOK: -- - The biggest problem for Jaruvan Maintaka is that she knows too much - about corrupt politicians, shady tycoons and multimillion-dollar rip-offs. And that may well cost Thailand's ``Iron Lady'' her job as the country's first auditor-general.

Jaruvan has been locked out of her office and had her salary frozen, but she refuses to resign unless King Bhumibol Adulyadej endorses the government's pick to replace her. In a move with few precedents, the revered constitutional monarch hasn't signed off on the nomination.

The case has heightened political tensions, generated debate about possible rifts between the government and Royal Palace and focused the spotlight on massive corruption in and around the regime of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

``Jaruvan's tenacity in going after big-time crooks has become the stuff of legend,'' The Nation newspaper wrote recently. ``With only half of her term gone she has amassed a menagerie of adversaries - from vested interests to corrupt politicians - and in the process became a target for elimination.''

The 58-year-old civil servant was appointed in 2001 to head the new auditor-general's office, an independent body created to track state financial transactions and spot signs of corruption.

(Now that's what I call a job with lifetime tenure... :D

Initially viewed as a ``paper tiger,'' she set about her job with aggressiveness and a razor-sharp intellect. Soon the MBA graduate from Michigan State University had gained a reputation for outspokenness and what she jokingly describes as male-like behavior that comes from being the eldest sibling and thus treated like a boy by her father.

A devout Roman Catholic in this predominantly Buddhist country, Jaruvan, a mother of three children, says she also gains strength and protection from her faith and God.

In her new job, Jaruvan dug into unscrupulous deals and exposed corrupt tactics that boggle the mind by their subtle deviousness and scale. She estimates that corruption in state-related projects costs the country more than $9.7 billion every year.

Her probes, which resulted in the removal of top ministry officials, uncovered corruption or irregularities in highway construction projects, Bangkok's new international airport, procurement of medicines at government hospitals, long-distance telephone service in rural areas and a government plan to compensate farmers whose chickens were infected with avian flu.

``I have been a fighter all my life, and if I am right I will continue to fight,'' Jaruvan said in an interview with the Bangkok Post earlier this year. ``If I had just turned a blind eye or looked the other way, none of this would have happened.''

Jaruvan's troubles began in July last year when the Constitution Court ruled that the process leading to her appointment was unconstitutional. But critics and opposition politicians say that minor legal points were brought up simply to bring her down and that the move was a trademark of Thaksin's regime - eroding independent, democratic institutions for the benefit of the ruling elite and its cronies.

When a new candidate, Visut Montriwat, a former senior official in the Finance Ministry, was submitted for royal endorsement June 10, the king did not assent - for the first time since Thaksin took power in 2001 - and Jaruvan in turn said she would only resign by royal command. The deadlock continues.

``What the king is doing is to make things right and he has the right to do so according to the Constitution,'' says Sulak Sivaraksa, a social critic who has written books on the Thai monarchy. ``If Thaksin understands this, he has to immediately revise the decision. He should not push (the issue) further.''

--AP 2005-09-19

Maybe she should take a look at the Labor Court before she finally checks out from heartbreak hotel.

:D:D:D

Judges ‘buying posts’

Published on Sep 19 , 2005

As many as half of the 200 associate judges attached to the Central Labour Court might have paid for their appointments, and many of them lack basic qualifications for the job, an adviser to the Senate committee on interior administration said yesterday.

Many of the court’s judges have admitted to the committee - verbally or in writing - that they bought their posts, said Somchai Iamsaen-udom. Similar corruption was likely in the next selection of associate judges later this year, he said.

Of the 200 associate judges assisting presiding judges in Labour Court trials, half represent employers and the other half employees.

Somchai said the practice would adversely affect the fairness of Labour Court trials, as the illegally appointed judges, most of whom have connections to influential business owners, tended to side with employers in legal disputes with employees. :o

Committee chairman Senator Intharat Yodbangtoey said that in one case an associate judge was found to have been a former drug convict with a record of other serious criminal offences. His background only came to light after he was shot dead by business rivals. :D

Intharat said his panel began investigating the issue following complaints by existing and former associate judges that officials demanded Bt100,000 to Bt1 million from candidate judges. He accused officials of the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare of demanding the bribes.

As an example of evidence of possible graft in the selection process, the chairman said his panel discovered that 12 associate judges were related to each other, with eight of them sharing the same surname. He also accused leaders and influential members of certain labour unions of being behind the wrongdoing and benefiting from the vote-buying.

Senator Charoon Youngprapa-korn, a panel member, said about 10 labour leaders were involved in the vote-buying scheme, which he said began in 2002. These people reaped up to Bt10 million by saving associate judge seats for paying candidates in each round of judge selections, which are held every two years, he said. :D:D:D

Of course Hercules had his stables, we have the courts... :D

Edited by kidtongue

I think (hope) there are many Thai people working in government who feel the same way she does and want to make changes, but are afraid or unwilling to confront the power structure. Evidently she is not afraid.

I believe you have got the the core of the issue here. If Jaruvan comes out of this as the winner, it may have ripple effects throughout the government. On the other hand, if she is eventually squeezed out, it will send a clear signal to any other potential wistle-blower that even with a royal backing, you still cannot win against the (corrupt) establishment.

One brave lady, though!

I think (hope) there are many Thai people working in government who feel the same way she does and want to make changes, but are afraid or unwilling to confront the power structure. Evidently she is not afraid.

I believe you have got the the core of the issue here. If Jaruvan comes out of this as the winner, it may have ripple effects throughout the government. On the other hand, if she is eventually squeezed out, it will send a clear signal to any other potential wistle-blower that even with a royal backing, you still cannot win against the (corrupt) establishment.

One brave lady, though!

She has already won a very big victory, bless her.

She has shown the girls that they can get to where they can use their abilities to help their country, despite the male chauvinists conceit, and/or corruption.

And she has put the baddies into a 'lose more-lose more' situation.

So there, in the pipeline, is more victory of good over evil.

Don't be too sure that Thaksin isn't applauding her, deep within himself. He can only oust the corrupt by showing them that he is under greater pressure to oust them than they can apply on him to keep them. He may be, very privately, welcoming the pressure that this lady has brought to bear on him. He may be chuckling (behind a poker face) at the great gift that this lady is presenting him with.

The same now happens in UK. The days are long gone when a Prime Minister could call in one of his Ministers and tell him that he was being sacked, and when the Minister asked why, say "Because you're not up to it". Ministers now make sure that they have a power base, and Prime Ministers have to assemble, or be presented with, the greater firepower to win any skirmish.

Where Thailand scores over the UK is that, first, it has a monarchy that is respected and uses its power wisely. And second it has elected a 'businessman' (rather than a 'non-practising barrister') to lead the Government. And sensible businessman always want corruption reduced, to zero if possible. It limits their possibilities of being really, really sucessful businessmen, because it is a 'wild card' that they can't allow for in their planning.

A lot of Singapore's success at surviving against all the odds is due to Lee Kuan Yew's demonstration that he wouldn't tolerate corruption. He knew that that would make Singapore the most attractive Asian country to sucessful businessmen who wanted to expand their 'empires'.

I think the combination of this lady, his Majesty, and that businessman, may play out very well.

PS ("Because you're not up to it" was Attlee, bless him, over fifty years ago.)

Don't be too sure that Thaksin isn't applauding her, deep within himself. ...

And sensible businessman always want corruption reduced, to zero if possible. It limits their possibilities of being really, really sucessful businessmen, because it is a 'wild card' that they can't allow for in their planning.

Sorry but I think this is wildly unrealistic and inaccurate in the case of Thailand, and Thaksin in particular. You've only got to look at how his extraordinarily rapid rise to billionaire status came about to realize which corner he's in.

On the contrary to being a "wild card", I'd say that for many successful "businessmen" in Thailand, corruption has in fact been seen as something that provides relative certainty in planning. Look at that bloke investing a huge amount of money in the huge brothel opposite the school in Rachada, would he really have invested all that cash without feeling the certainty that he could buy the relevant people off?

Of course the fact that the original (corrupt) police decision to grant him a license has been reversed is reason for optimism for the future. And it has quite clearly been a huge shock to the "businessman" concerned.

:o

Edited by charles

She is already given a tittle "Khunying". The thing is this government is abusing the King powers. The King doesn't talk, he acts. First when she was appointed as Audit General, the King gave her a royal medal. Pretty much like a gift from him. After she's sacked, the King gave her another medal! Think about it. Why the King did that? The King doesn't talk, he acts.

Toxin and his MPs and senators must revise their decision. Otherwise all of them will have no country to live.

Golf :o

There should be something like a noble prize for courage or honesty or similar, maybe "Moral Integrity" ? It should be given only when exceptional worthy individuals show up. This lady certainly would get my vote.

We can only hope that the moral power model of HR Majesty prevails.

She is already given a tittle "Khunying".  The thing is this government is abusing the King powers.  The King doesn't talk, he acts.  First when she was appointed as Audit General, the King gave her a royal medal.  Pretty much like a gift from him.  After she's sacked, the King gave her another medal!  Think about it.  Why the King did that?  The King doesn't talk, he acts.

Toxin and his MPs and senators must revise their decision.  Otherwise all of them will have no country to live.

Golf  :o

fully agree with you Golf! Every patriotic Thai should be supporting her, as she is trying to make the country better.

Politics is about policies (i.e. deciding the directions in which we will develop our group's objectives, as time goes on).

Some politics is about money, to a greater or lesser degree.

(For instance, office politics is to some extent about the money that will come from promotions, but often it is more about power and prestige. There are those who don't seek promotion because they wouldn't enjoy the extra money enough to compensate them for the loss of the pleasure they get out of bullying a greater number of people.)

This lady whose actions we are discussing doesn't seem to be in the political arena for the satisfaction of money.

The whacking great salary that her position will carry with it seems to be a smaller part of her motivations.

Pride (and an easy conscience) seem more to be about what she wants from her political appointment.

And she can be very proud of the lead she is giving to younger Thai women and girls.

I think she is not only serving her country well, but also making a lot more good friends (and a really, really impressive list of enemies).

Don't be too sure that Thaksin isn't applauding her, deep within himself. ...

And sensible businessman always want corruption reduced, to zero if possible. It limits their possibilities of being really, really sucessful businessmen, because it is a 'wild card' that they can't allow for in their planning.

Sorry but I think this is wildly unrealistic and inaccurate in the case of Thailand, and Thaksin in particular. You've only got to look at how his extraordinarily rapid rise to billionaire status came about to realize which corner he's in.

Spot on! Martin - you should read the book by Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit "Thaksin - the Business of politics in Thailand". That will make you think twice about writing what you did above.

Getting away with corruption and making cash is "geng" and carries with it a certain type of respect. It reflects power and influence, not to be tangled with if you know what's good for you and your extended family. It' s an essential element of 'Thainess.' It incorporates fear of violence which anyone who knows anything about this country knows is never ever far below the surface.

A lot of Singapore's success at surviving against all the odds is due to Lee Kuan Yew's demonstration that he wouldn't tolerate corruption. He knew that that would make Singapore the most attractive Asian country to sucessful businessmen who wanted to expand their 'empires'.

Ask any senior Singaporean business man in private and they’ll tell you Harry Lee is one of the most corrupt despots in SE Asia. The fact is that Singapore is his family’s own private business empire, all the strategic enterprises in the country are controlled either by his family or close associates through the national holding company and various other guises which make it look legitimate.

Harry Lee is the role model for Dear Leader Thaksin, hoping to make Thailand into his own little play land like Singapore.

The old adage, that you need a dictator if you want the trains to run on time applies quite well to Singapore.

On another related note, why oh why can’t we have stories like this on Thailand today….it fits the criteria…all about a Thai woman getting screwed. :o

Good on her, we need more people like her. She is saving the country and this is an example of true patriotism.
Absolutely agreed :o His Majesty's stance must also be admired.

I, too, greatly respect His Majesty for having his principles and standing up for them.

Who remembers how a former Prime Minister, during the last decade, I believe, was made to prostrate himself on his belly before the king in a centuries-old and in this age rarely-used act of reverence and obeisance, because the Prime Minister had done something extremely horrible against the people?

I cannot remember who that Prime Minister and his misdeed were.

That picture went around the world in print and on television. Knowing Thailand as well as I do (and having read The Falcon of Siam) I understood it well, but some of my colleagues in Switzerland who have never been to Thailand found it strange.

She is already given a tittle "Khunying".  The thing is this government is abusing the King powers.  The King doesn't talk, he acts.  First when she was appointed as Audit General, the King gave her a royal medal.  Pretty much like a gift from him.  After she's sacked, the King gave her another medal!  Think about it.  Why the King did that?  The King doesn't talk, he acts.

Toxin and his MPs and senators must revise their decision.  Otherwise all of them will have no country to live.

Golf  :o

What powers does the King have? Can't he just tell these people to leave her alone?

And the other chap with him on the carpet that day was Gen Chamlong (considered the good guy)ex Guv of Bangers.

We flew in just before the "who-ha" got going on Thai Air since BA had cancelled all flights to LOS and on arrival thought we were getting an escort to the Honey.There were soldiers and wee tanks everywhere and that evening all the residents of Soi C.Boy were hasseling us for news of what was going on down at the Royal Hotel (Thai TV on Black out)..

Interesting time to be in town but the outcome was unfortunately rather sad:(

No matter what anyone thinks it got better.....and lets all hope it continues to.

re:Kunying Jaruvan Maintaka...agree... Lady of the Year. :o

And the other chap with him on the carpet that day was Gen Chamlong (considered the good guy)ex Guv of Bangers.

We flew in just before the "who-ha" got going on Thai Air since BA had cancelled all flights to LOS and on arrival thought we were getting an escort to the Honey.There were soldiers and wee tanks everywhere and that evening all the residents of Soi C.Boy were hasseling us for news of what was going on down at the Royal Hotel (Thai TV on Black out)..

Interesting time to be in town but the outcome was unfortunately rather sad:(

No matter what anyone thinks it got better.....and lets all hope it continues to.

re:Kunying Jaruvan Maintaka...agree... Lady of the Year. :o

And guess who sponsored Thaksin's entry into Thai politics? ......Thats right Chamlong.

Needless to say, Thaksin doesn't talk to Chamlong anymore!

Unfortunately people like this brave and outspoken Lady tend to come to an unfortunate end in Thailand.

I hope the King makes her a Khunying the same as the Forensic Girl, at least that sems to give some kind of protection.

As other said, she is already Khunying.

I think I read somewhere that Khunying is the most important decoration a woman can receive here, anybody has more info on this ? (what does it represent exactly ?).

The wife tells me it means "Madam"", which I think translate to a "Dame" or "Lady"in the UK.

But the title also gives her some kind of Royal Approval which puts the gangsters off from having her done away with.

I am sure there are many, many far more learned people on this forum, but every tuppence worth helps.