Renting Farm Land In Isaan

jay-uk

Well, one thing comes to mind. As a foreigner you are not really allowed to do any business in agriculture, however this being said, there are foreigner's that are doing this so I guess for now it's being over looked or the right pockets are getting taken care of. So if you are planning a commercial operation best to put in your wifes name. For rental costs it all depends on the land and where it is. i have leased land for as low 500b per year per rai, but this was just sand and not good for growing anything. Then we have leased land that cost us 3000B per year per rai, but this was nice rich soil, easy location and had water available. So it all depends. location will be the big factor, after that soil condition and water availability.

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

going price for renting land over in our village in the north of Sukhothai is 500 baht a per rai per year

hope this gives you an idea of prices over here in the west

Edited by fezzy

Not Isaan, but Mae Sot, Tak province on Burma border..

Nicest field I know for rent this year is 60 rai offered for B100,000.

That comes to B1,700 / rai

This ground is a mix of gently sloped rolling ground with a band of paddy down the drainage path generally down the middle.

At the toe is all season river water which can be pumped efficiently.

Electricity is around 2km away.

For now Diesel, LPG, or NGV engines are the possible pump power

Fields with less advantages are renting for around B1,000 / rai.

The owner of this ground does not understand its full potential as fully irrigated.

He just happens to be correct in his greed by accident.

Dry Ground during Dry season, which the renter then devises his own method of irrigation,

rents for B500 / rai.

All this ground mentioned is good clay soil, low in Phosphorous, with good Potassium content.

Typically it has been burned so that his has very little organic material in the soil.

Edited by WatersEdge

• 3 weeks later...

For rice it can be made a deal by percentage of the harvest and the deal is for one rice season from sow to harvest. Can also be done with casava. But be careful, always ask what was planted before because not everything grows if some certain plants had been grown there before. The above mentioned prices fit with Isaan as well. Good luck.

fatfather

• 2 weeks later...

Now that im reading this I cant understand why Ive never thought of renting land before. Just emailed the Mrs and she is delighted with the idea and mentioned to me we could get good land at around 800-1000 baht/rai for 1 year.

I may even suggest to her to try for a 5 year lease and knock the price down a bit.

How easy is it to get a lease for 5 years and is it legal or binding ?