Interview To Apply To 2Nd Thai Ed Visa

I'm actually learning thai language with an ed visa.

I would like to make one mode year but I heard there is an interview with someone from education ministry?

Does anyone have already passed it?

What are the kind of questions?

Regards

Who gave you that information? I don't think any member has ever posted here that he had to go for an interview at the Ministry of Education before he could apply for extensions of stay for a second year of Thai language study.

No interviews required ( at least not in Phuket )

But the school has to be officially regonized by the Thai goverment for you to be able to get a ED extension. ( together with all the paperwork )

Dear

I am also learning Thai Language and now I am on my 2nd Extension.

School also said same to me That " If you want to apply for 2nd year ED visa there will be interview at Embassy"

I only know about Interview Next week I will ask my school about this.

that's my school who told me that.

But maybe i misunderstood about ministry, but anyway isn't at school, and is kind of thai level test.

with some question in thai as:

"What's your name, where do you come from..."

I do believe that a student (at least here in Bangkok) hasta go out to the Ministry of Education when wanting to continue receiving extensions of stay on their ED visa in country when their first year's worth of extensions run out when attending a private Thai Language school.

I know of one private Thai Language school which, due to its high number of students actually had a special class running last year which 'taught' their students how to get thru the 'interview/testing' at the Ministry of Education. They also accompanied groups of their students out there and helped em get thru the process too.

I freely admit I could possibly be reporting in error on this 'interview/testing' dealy at the Ministry of Education, as my information is from late last year, but I don't think so :whistling: .

FWIW: I just tried to call several students I know personally who're on their second year's worth of ED visa extensions, but they're all in class now :( . Once I reach one I'll report back. :)

Then again the O/P could click on any of the Thai Language School ads by Forum Sponsors and ask their customer service people. :D

Edited by tod-daniels

I forgot to add, this 'testing' only came about in the late first or early second quarter of last year.

Before that private Thai Language Schools (in Bangkok) would have you do an in-house test which they then submitted for you to the Ministry of Education so you could continue your in-country 90 day extensions after the first year.

I saw the in-house tests from several different schools and (may even have a scan saved somewhere in my p/c). The test was stuff like: write your first name in thai, write the thai number for the date, there was a word matching section; thai words to the engrish definitions, a section about putting the words of simple sentences into correct order, and then a brief conversation in thai.

Then for some reason, it changed I dunno why really. Now you (as a student of the Thai Language) had to start going and take the test out there at the Ministry of Education.

Now remember, this is after youve attended a YEAR of Thai Language school at just the Ministry of Educations minimum classroom requirements of 4 hours a week. If you were even half awake in class during the year, youll be fine.

They arent gonna ask you to write a short story, nor when they chat with you are they gonna talk about sequencing the human genome! They mostly want to see if you demonstrate some minimal level of basic thai. After all, if you could speak like a thai in perfect thai why would you be studying the thai language anyway? :ermm:

Like I said, I knew of a coupla schools which actually sent a chaperone with their students when re-upping for their second year.

If anyone knows about this, Id imagine the poster known as macwalen and his chain of The Walen School of Thai would be dialed into what's actually going on currently with it.

Maybe hell contribute to this post! :)

Even If its only to tell me Im totally wrong :o , at least wed know, :D lol. . ..

Edited by tod-daniels

If this is the formof the testit could pose problems for those who study at schools which do not teach thai Reading and Writing. In 180 hours it is reasonable for a person not to learn to write but onl to speak.

I fully suport however any attempt to crack down on those who abuse the visa.

I forgot to add, this 'testing' only came about in the late first or early second quarter of last year.

Before that private Thai Language Schools (in Bangkok) would have you do an ‘in-house’ test which they then submitted for you to the Ministry of Education so you could continue your in-country 90 day extensions after the first year.

I saw the in-house tests from several different schools and (may even have a scan saved somewhere in my p/c). The test was stuff like: write your first name in thai, write the thai number for the date, there was a word matching section; thai words to the engrish definitions, a section about putting the words of simple sentences into correct order, and then a brief conversation in thai.

Then for some reason, it changed I dunno why really. Now you (as a student of the Thai Language) had to start going and take the test out there at the Ministry of Education.

Now remember, this is after you’ve attended a YEAR of Thai Language school at just the Ministry of Education’s minimum classroom requirements of 4 hours a week. If you were even half awake in class during the year, you’ll be fine.

They aren’t gonna ask you to write a short story, nor when they chat with you are they gonna talk about sequencing the human genome! They mostly want to see if you demonstrate some minimal level of basic thai. After all, if you could speak like a thai in perfect thai why would you be studying the thai language anyway? :ermm:

Like I said, I knew of a coupla schools which actually sent a chaperone with their students when re-upping for their second year.

If anyone knows about this, I’d imagine the poster known as “macwalen” and his chain of “The Walen School of Thai” would be dialed into what's actually going on currently with it.

Maybe he’ll contribute to this post! :)

Even If it’s only to tell me I’m totally wrong :o , at least we’d know, :D lol. . ..

after asking to my school again.

They confirm me i'll get an interview at ministry.

With some easy question as:

What's your name

What's your age

Where do you come from...

nothing read or write, only speak.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Yes, this is still current and correct. I am now on my 2nd extention (3rd year) and just the same as last year (2nd year) we had to go to the ministry of education for a test. As long as you can speak basic Thai then you will be fine as the lady that I saw last year was actualy very nice and we just joked about the weather and travelling, etc. No written test as they really dont have time to do that for people as the office is a busy one as you can expect.

I'll be going for the "test" again tomorow and dont expect anything has changed.

Falcon