Thai Tourist Police Nationwide May Be Transferred Out Of The Police Force

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"transferred" does that mean they will be stationed somewhere else are is the program that has supplied (Thanks to their language abilities and familiarity with Thailand, the foreign volunteers provide invaluable assistance in dealing with compatriots who face problems during their stays here, Capt Torpan said.) this invaluable service will be deleted? Is this a too good to be true scenario? The tourist police are so good that we don't believe it and therefore have to delete it. I just don't think the Thai people like competition, and that's why we can't work here. in order to work here we would have to be obviously inferior such as one from Burma or Laos. What a weird article! :blink:

What are you talking about? Hundreds if not thousands of Ferrang work in Thailand, what do you think a work permit is for? A British friend of mine was employed by the Thai police academy (southern region) as an English teacher but there's also foreign police working in Thailand with specialized units not as traffic cops. You should read your own comment before accusing the article of being weired!

"transferred" does that mean they will be stationed somewhere else are is the program that has supplied (Thanks to their language abilities and familiarity with Thailand, the foreign volunteers provide invaluable assistance in dealing with compatriots who face problems during their stays here, Capt Torpan said.) this invaluable service will be deleted? Is this a too good to be true scenario? The tourist police are so good that we don't believe it and therefore have to delete it. I just don't think the Thai people like competition, and that's why we can't work here. in order to work here we would have to be obviously inferior such as one from Burma or Laos. What a weird article! :blink:

What a "weird response." I have been in Thailand for over 15 years and have never used the tourist police or had a reason to. The last person I'd contact for assistance is some "wanna-be Foreigner Thai Tourist cop," for assistance as well. I have yet to see what these folks have accomplished in Phuket other than get new vehicles every year and a new office bigger than the one housing the regular Thai police force in Phuket Town. I suppose that says why there's a study regarding their legitimacy as Thai cops.

Lol you guys are funny. Everytime I am in pattaya the Russians I meet are mostly families from novosebirk area (way east) who think Egypt and Turkey became to expensive. The drunk disorderly whoremingering idiots are usually western European (Brits) and Australians... Sorry did I isolate anyone? The mafia element is definitely there but they are Russian speakers from "stans" of the former USSR. Having more Russian speaking fake police would help since most of Russians speak English poorly and have rather short tempers.

Pew pew pew.

Lol you guys are funny. Everytime I am in pattaya the Russians I meet are mostly families from novosebirk area (way east) who think Egypt and Turkey became to expensive. The drunk disorderly whoremingering idiots are usually western European (Brits) and Australians... Sorry did I isolate anyone? The mafia element is definitely there but they are Russian speakers from "stans" of the former USSR. Having more Russian speaking fake police would help since most of Russians speak English poorly and have rather short tempers.

Pew pew pew.

Yeah well you would meet a lot of that European element in Pattaya as who goes to Pattaya for to lovely beaches and the beautiful architecture. Not exactly a stunning family destination so these Russian families you talk of probably got of at the wrong stop. Don't see that many Russian families in the nicer places Thailand has to offer and don't see that many European nor Australian dick heads either. Mainly just nice well behaved Ferrang on holiday most of whom handle their alcohol quite well without causing trouble.

Pew pew pew.

Yeah well you would meet a lot of that European element in Pattaya as who goes to Pattaya for to lovely beaches and the beautiful architecture. Not exactly a stunning family destination so these Russian families you talk of probably got of at the wrong stop. Don't see that many Russian families in the nicer places Thailand has to offer and don't see that many European nor Australian dick heads either. Mainly just nice well behaved Ferrang on holiday most of whom handle their alcohol quite well without causing trouble.

You know I asked them the SAME THING! Why did you choose Pattaya? It's the WORST place for a family or well just about anyone... The answer is:

#1 They speak Russian there, somewhere else in Thailand there are few Russian Speakers.

#2 It was cheap. They bought a package that included flight, hotel and island tour.

#3 They had no idea what Pattaya is like but after Egypt and Turkey it seems really really nice.

There we go.

Pew pew pew.

You know I asked them the SAME THING! Why did you choose Pattaya? It's the WORST place for a family or well just about anyone... The answer is:

#1 They speak Russian there, somewhere else in Thailand there are few Russian Speakers.

#2 It was cheap. They bought a package that included flight, hotel and island tour.

#3 They had no idea what Pattaya is like but after Egypt and Turkey it seems really really nice.

There we go.

What with all the street hookers, whore houses, larger louts and bar fights. Hardly what I'd call a nice family destination. I meet loads of French people over here who have the same problem with the language barrier as they can't find French speakers and they don't all go to Pattaya.

Pew pew pew.

There we go.

What with all the street hookers, whore houses, larger louts and bar fights. Hardly what I'd call a nice family destination. I meet loads of French people over here who have the same problem with the language barrier as they can't find French speakers and they don't all go to Pattaya.

Yep, Hence having tourist police that spoke Russian would help :)

I generally tell them to go Jomtien or Ko Larn. Those places are a bit more tame and well quieter. :)

The only right thing to do would be to move

ALL THAI POLICE OUT OF THE POLICE FORCE

ARE YOU NUTS???

CHAOS WOULD ENSUE!!!

1. there would be no traffic jams due to police collecting bribes

2. who would make the lights green for the VIP envoy

3. who would make my police report to get some document i need for some bureaucrat

4. WHO WOULD DIRECT TRAFFIC??? WHOOOOO!!! I mean I would hae to wait 250 seconds for the light to change... Oh wait!!!

Sounds like the Local Police need them out of Puket so they can have more opportunity to shake tourist down...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Every tourist policemen I have met have been honest and above board...and not one has ever asked for money. As far

as I am concerned they are the ones underpaid

I'm trying to remember IF I've EVER heard any account of the Thai Tourist Police actually ever helping any farang??? I mean really helping...in a genuine way...

As a former police volunteer who has directly assisted foreign tourists in a range of situations (car/bike accidents, mental illness, totally drunk/unable to remember hotel), drug-taking etc etc), I can assure you that there are numerous instances where the police volunteers assist, but such 'good news' is considered 'no news' as far as the media is concerned.

Simon

Well said Simon. I have never needed your help, as yet, but it is comforting to know that there are persons as yourself available to assist with translating language and cultures. Ko khun krap.

I remember when the tourist police was set up in about 1975. They expressly pointed out that their role was not to help foreigners but to handle crime related to foreigners and that language ability was not needed for them. The foreign volunteers came later. Some volunteers deserve our respect as they spend long hours with few rewards or thanks acting as a cultural buffer. Sadly some other volunteer units seemto be staffed by wantabe people who would ( or possibly have been) rejected when they applied to their home country police forces.

Edited by harrry

I have only had the one occassion to use then and that was about 5 yrs ago to ask for directions. Problem was I don't speak Italian and he did speak english total waste of time so now I just avoid them as they are not worth the hassles.

"I dont' speak Italian and he did speak english..." Sounds like if you wanted to avoid hassles, you would have to stay away from yourself

Granted, I have lived in LOS for four years, but I learned rudimentary Thai, and on many occasions, actively engaged the regular police. Forget the tourist police. You would be amazed how little effort it took and the benefits I gained by taking care of myself. Also, I knew better than to put myself in a dangerous situations. I familiarized myself with the laws, as well as the trigger behaviors that garnered unwanted attention, and never had any serious problems. As an expat, or as a traveler, a person must act to protect his or her self by being informed and self-aware.

When you live in Thaland for 4 years, you are NOT a Tourist, thus, the Tourist Police would not be there for you. The Tourist police is for Tourists and those usually don't speak Thai, nor do they study Thai laws for a two weeks holiday.

hello mate you still in phuket?

Take the gun away from them, and make sure they can not be jetski's best helpers in their scams !

I had heart several times where jetski operators offered Tourist police officers a bid of the ransom !

I had also seen Tourist police look at licenses in bars, when i asked if they got a new job, they tried to bust me for anything they could ! But Som num nar to them !!

Cartoon figures, make a goverment controlled tourist guide system instead, where they help tourists who have problems for free !

No police uniforms and guns !

Tourist police have no right of arrest, they are basically a waste of time , quote .

farang toy police .

join up and have the tourist police card .

when stopped by the bib ,for the 200 bht tea money

flash, the tourist police cared ,

salute , and drive on .

have a nice day officer.

:jap:

Tourist police have no right of arrest, they are basically a waste of time , quote .

farang toy police .

salute , and drive on .

have a nice day officer.

Hum.... if this 's true. it's so sad for Thai people.../////.... havin' a huge cancer in their system ... bein' not just malfunctioning on the other hand bein' destructive...

I thnk some people confuse theTourist Police who are Thai police officers and do have arrest powers with volunteer police helpers who despite the uniforms have no powers of arrest (or at least no mpore than anyone else}

farang toy police .

salute , and drive on .

have a nice day officer.

Hum.... if this 's true. it's so sad for Thai people.../////.... havin' a huge cancer in their system ... bein' not just malfunctioning on the other hand bein' destructive...

Edited by harrry

Exactly that and nothing more

Tourist police have no right of arrest, they are basically a waste of time and only useful to negotiate the price a foreigner has to pay a Thai (if involved in an accident etc),,,thats why if something serious involves a Tourist the Tourist Police must call the Local police to sort it out!!!!!!!

they are just translators

in 5 years my only contact with police in thailand was a farang tourist policeman breaking into my room because he was jealous I was with his lady. admittedly he was fired for it but I could do nothing about him coming back later with fake ID to try and, unsuccessfully fortunately, break into my room and rob me, so I have no time for farang tourist police altho I am sure most have good intentions

Edited by rafval

Just another crazy , mind boggling statement.

Surely Tourist Police , means help for Farangs , so maybe the local police see another opportunity for additional income perhaps.................

What a stupid idea , so who will teach the police how to speak multi lingual ????????????????

Going another step backwards in 2011.............. Amazing Thailand !!!!

While in Phuket, they were greeted by local police officers and members of the local Volunteer Tourist Police led by Patong-based entrepreneur Claude de Crissey.

Had no idea that they've got frogs down there in Phuket. You'll never stop to learn.....:jap:

You obviously have stopped learning already, assuming you ever started.

Tourist police have no right of arrest, they are basically a waste of time and only useful to negotiate the price a foreigner has to pay a Thai (if involved in an accident etc),,,thats why if something serious involves a Tourist the Tourist Police must call the Local police to sort it out!!!!!!!

they are just translators

I was in Pattaya once and noticed all the farang dressed like cops walking around with 'brazos de croissant' (spanish for 'croissant arms' meaning they try to look tough)

ne half of them looked like tattooed beeerbellied old englishmen with faces like they been thowing bottles and glasses at members of the other football team in UK before they came here, and the other half looked like a lot of child molesters or other kind or wierd thing.

I remember in boarding school how all the <deleted> and cowards and people with no friends were prefects

I think the inclination and mentality to want to 'help' an institution such as the Thai Tourist Police is probably derived from various immature attitudes (Dhitti in Thai) which attract your backstage bullies, immature show-offs, and downright judases.

anyway what i wanted to say was that all the foreign 'pseudocops' i have seen look like they have done time at one time or another or look like very shady characters.. i wonder how much the Thais check the past of these 'volunteers' because they dont look very savory

I see them as five year old mentalities in adult bodies who are just looking for childish ego kicks and think they look important in others eyes (when really they look like a bunch of idiots and turncoats). Maybe the British Swiss and German Ploice should start recruiting Thais to police our asian ghettos? loooooool@

i can just see it a Thai in UK helping a British cop investigate his own kind!

Just another crazy , mind boggling statement.

Surely Tourist Police , means help for Farangs , so maybe the local police see another opportunity for additional income perhaps.................

What a stupid idea , so who will teach the police how to speak multi lingual ????????????????

Going another step backwards in 2011.............. Amazing Thailand !!!!

Not sure how "amazing" Thailand is, but it certainly can be thought of as being AMUSING.

Most police in Land of Scams (do little to nothing) ought to be fired. I called the Tourist Police in BKK some years ago re: computer scam. They told me call the taxi company......?????????

Incomprehensible article as to why but then common sense was never a trait of Thailand.

I agree asiawatcher. Another difficult thing to find in Land of Scams (LOS) is consistency (except for corruption that is).

Question: Do the "volunteers" have work permits? It is my understanding - could be wrong - but even foreigners in Lack of Sanctions (LOS) are required to get work permits. ??????