Tourism Picking Up As High Season Approaches

george

Tourism picking up as high season approaches

PHUKET: -- A Singapore-based budget airline is to launch a four-times-a-week service to Phuket from October 25, and will be offering special low one-way fares (excluding taxes) of S$22 (520 baht) until December 15.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) hopes the flights by Jetstar Asia, an affiliate of Australia’s Qantas Airways, will attract many Singaporeans to Phuket during the high season.

Suwalai Pinpradab, Director of the Phuket TAT Office, told the Gazette she expects tourism to Phuket to return to normal from October: “Korean Air and Asiana plan to fly here from October 16, and we have 40,000 bookings already from Korea.”

Phuket Vice-Governor Supachai Yuwaboon said he expected events such as the Vegetarian Festival to boost tourism and help the hotel industry.

“Phuket tourism is growing fast, from what we have seen at TAT road shows to many countries in Asia and Europe. Tourists from those countries will come to Phuket again,” V/Gov Supachai said.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-09-20

Just once, I'd like to read optimistic reports regarding Phuket that WEREN'T orchestrated by TAT. :D

Their disingenuous nature lack any substantiation and really, in the end, are lies.

:o

Latest figures reported from the CIVILIAN tourism organizations point out a 50% DROP in tourists in Phuket.

Edited by sriracha john

Just once, I'd like to read optimistic reports regarding Phuket that WEREN'T orchestrated by TAT.  :D 

Their disingenuous nature lack any substantiation and really, in the end, are lies.

If the TAT shills didn't report that everything was rosy and almost back to normal in Phuket, then they might be accused of not doing their job and subsequently transferred to some inactive tourism post. :D

I thought you needed a return ticket to enter the kingdom ??

You simply need any valid Thai visa to enter the kindom on a one-way ticket.

So, to get a visa on arrival you need a return ticket ?

If you have no valid Thai visa in your passport and you plan to use the thirty-day visa-free entry available to many foreigners, you are supposed to be able to show an onwards ticket with a departure from Thailand within that thirty day entry period. Notice I said onwards and not necessarily return. In practice, I've never heard of Thai immigrations asking to see your onwards ticket. Many airlines however, will ask to see proof of onwards travel if you are traveling to Thailand on a one-way ticket with no valid visa.

You mean, like officially, as in that is when the prices go up? Or when they start to get busy? Ours starts december, business doesn't really pick up until the middle of the month.

I meant officially, which is all the TAT shills care about. :o

I don't have any idea when business actually picks up in Phuket (traditionally), but here in Chiang Mai it seems like the influx of tourists does start in November, especially for Loy Krathong. The end of April seems like a stretch to me. End of February for Chiang Mai is probably more accurate, with a big final spike during Songkran.

If you have no valid Thai visa in your passport and you plan to use the thirty-day visa-free entry available to many foreigners, you are supposed to be able to show an onwards ticket with a departure from Thailand within that thirty day entry period.  Notice I said onwards and not necessarily return.  In practice, I've never heard of Thai immigrations asking to see your onwards ticket.  Many airlines however, will ask to see proof of onwards travel if you are traveling to Thailand on a one-way ticket with no valid visa.

30 times into Thailand, never had any visa, just what they stamp in at the airport.

Nobody has ever asked me to show my ticket, neither airlines nor authorities.

Maybe the airlines did not ask because they were holding and looking at my return ticket when checking in?

Funny, I thought high season didn't start until december?

I'm pretty sure that high season in Phuket runs 01 November through 30 April.

Compared to the dire economic slump that Phuket has suffered since the tsunami in the beginning of last high season, tourism is picking up every day here.

From my research, hotels bookings look very optimistic for the peak high-season of December- February. Traditionally, high season begins in November and runs through to April (correct Ovenman).

Tourists are returning to Phuket. The demographics are assorted depending on where promotions have been targeted. We can thank backpackers (who were the initial tourists on Phuket many years ago) and the Aussies, Americans, and Europeans who have come here to help out with their tourist dollars while the mass markets of recent years have stayed away.

Hopefully, by December the locals will be back in business and recovering from this tragic recession.

Edited by khall64au

Just once, I'd like to read optimistic reports regarding Phuket that WEREN'T orchestrated by TAT.  :D 

Latest figures reported from the CIVILIAN tourism organizations point out a 50% DROP in tourists in Phuket.

I read tourists to Phuket were 70% down.

If the airlines are coming back and have the bookings, why not?

Unless it's a TAT's propaganda.

Air industry press will not let them go away with that.

If you have no valid Thai visa in your passport and you plan to use the thirty-day visa-free entry available to many foreigners, you are supposed to be able to show an onwards ticket with a departure from Thailand within that thirty day entry period.  Notice I said onwards and not necessarily return.  In practice, I've never heard of Thai immigrations asking to see your onwards ticket.  Many airlines however, will ask to see proof of onwards travel if you are traveling to Thailand on a one-way ticket with no valid visa.

30 times into Thailand, never had any visa, just what they stamp in at the airport.

Nobody has ever asked me to show my ticket, neither airlines nor authorities.

Maybe the airlines did not ask because they were holding and looking at my return ticket when checking in?

From what I have read posted here over time, the diligence of checking this requirement seems to vary from airline to airline. If you have a return ticket for within thirty days, the airlines don't need to look/ask. I always fly to Thailand on a one-way ticket (budget airlines) or the return portion of a ticket which in essence is a one-way ticket. I get asked to show a visa rather infrequently but it does happen on occasion. I'm sure it would be a hassle if I couldn't produce a visa to show the airline check-in staff.

You mean, like officially, as in that is when the prices go up? Or when they start to get busy? Ours starts december, business doesn't really pick up until the middle of the month.

SBK, I take it when you say "our" high season your referring to Koh Phangan ?

The place that has 12 high seasons per year ?.... Which only last for 2 or 3 days (max) ?

Koh Phangan will NEVER have a high season, the only thing you survive from is your neighbour Ko Samui combined with a pathetic, unrealistic backpacker movie..... which in actual fact was filmed in Pi-Pi !!! :o

As for Sriracha John, my guess is your from Sriracha (hey, aren’t I clever), which is poor mans Pattaya so I guess we wont be seeing you in Phuket !!! :D

And think_too_mut, yes your right, Tourists to Phuket are down by 70%.... for Japs !!!

And think_too_mut, yes your right, Tourists to Phuket are down by 70%.... for Japs !!!

I don't like to see Japanese being called "Japs".

Yes, like people who live in Phuket dont like seeing the place being put down, just because one particular country has stopped coming !! :o

Get your facts right before you consider posting false statements !! :D

Yes, like people who live in Phuket dont like seeing the place being put down, just because one particular country has stopped coming !! :o

Get your facts right before you consider posting false statements !! :D

Japanese not coming. Call them "Japs" but no their money spent there.

If they are not coming to Phuket, that's their choice, they have many.

A big loss to the biz.

I'd like to see interviews with people who went to Phuket. The stories will emerge in a month or two, more to come afterwards.

I read tourists to Phuket were 70% down.

If the airlines are coming back and have the bookings, why not?

Unless it's a TAT's propaganda.

Air industry press will not let them go away with that.

TAT, the airlines, and the Phuket Hotel Association often seem to have VERY conflicting numbers... who to believe...?? :D

I, for one, put TAT at the bottom of the heap for credibility.

I don't like to see Tourists in Phuket called "Pukes"

Still........if the cap fits :o

:D:D

seems like some of the residents could also qualify for the the same name, but with the traditional pronunciation of the letters "ph".... :D