Maybe A New Forum

malct

I have been reading the forum and joining in and adding posts for a couple of years now.

One thing that i am interested in now is Moving over to Thailand and maybe a forum for the Folk that are in the thinking about it stage would be ideal for this site.

I have been dating my GF now for 4 years come this October and the stress and long hours at work is no good for a bloke who will be hitting his 50th Birthday this Year.

This year i have decided to go inland for Holidays and to see the different areas, i spent 4 days in ubon Ratchatani and it seemed a nice place but not sure if their is enough to do.

On our next visit to thailand, We are heading off to Khon Kaen and what i have read about Khon Kaen, it might offer me a better life.

So, I guess for someone who is thinking about moving to Thailand, What are those Questions.

1. Would you say that buying is better than renting, Lets face it, I wont be about in the next 40 years and neither will my GF, unless they come up with a way to keeping us living till where at 150 years old. (i have been told to rent for a year before buying to see if you can settle into the village, Town or City.

2. Looking at buying a House, i think i would be looking at 50K which i think will be around the 2.5 million Baht, So what would i get 2.5 million Baht in Khon Kaen.

3. We all know what the bills are like in the UK, The Council Tax, the Mortgage, Gas , Electric, Phone, water, Insurances for house and car and that before going to buy food and Drink. I guess my Next question would be Dependant on each different person life style, But what would the average cost of living would be per month excluding Mortgage.

4. I understand that buying a house, The house would have to be in the Wifes name unless i start a business and put the house in the business name and then their is lease hold and never free hold situation.

5. Regarding my Life in the UK, I guess i will still have to have some way of communicating with life in the UK, Pensions, Bank accounts, Heath care, So i guess i would still need some kind of address in the UK!!

These are only a few questions and i guess people would like to ask more.

Not sure yet on the Marriage front, But the GF likes to be known to other women has my wife!!!!! Maybe common law wife.

I am looking at 24 months before i make the move, So time is on my side.

Malc

You have many questions regarding your consideration to live in Thailand, far too many and too complicated to answer on a forum post.

I have 30 years plus experience of living in Thailand and can answer all your questions and believe able to guide you.

I am in Chiang Mai and if you do ever visit my neck of the woods, pm me and we can arrange to meet for a chat and give you the benefit of my experience, or if you have Skype, pm me your details and i will contact you.

Thank you for your Reply.

I am in no rush to Move yet since i am still in full time work and the pay is Ok which gives me chance to save for that rainy day.

I know that i have lots of Questions and other people who are also thinking about moving to thailand will have lots of other questions, Thats why i thought that a new forum on the site would be useful.

what i am keen to know is the average household bills without the food and Life Style.

Malc

The best advice I can offer is. If you own I property in the UK, hold on to it. Come over here for at least 6 months and rent. Visit the girlfriends family. Are they poor. If you have any money don't let on to them that you have, as In their eyes you are already, rich farang. That should give you some insight on what they are hoping to get from you. Pick up as much information as you can. Listen to advice, but be very careful of what advice you act on. Remember the best advice is free? Enjoy what ever you decide on. Also for what it is worth, having lived in the wilds of Korat for my first two years here. I would not live more than 3 or 4 hrs drive from Bangkok. Which is where I am living at the moment. I feel the need to be close to the sea. So intend to move to somewhere on the coast sometime this year or maybe next? These are just my thoughts. :wai:

jb1

I have lived in several different country planning on moving to Thailand ever soon.I would never buy without being there for some time.I lived in Belize for a few years and when I 1st got there I really liked one area was ready to buy,and thank God I did not,ended up not liking that one area.Best advice go slow and take your time. CASH IS KING Just my two cents

As the OP has indicated a forum dedicated to this would be helpful to those of us looking to move over be it full or part time.

For myself I'll hopefully be working two on two off (months) beginning fairly soon and some advice in several areas would be helpful.

To be able to ask questions in the same forum would make things easier I reckon.

:jap:

Thank you for your Reply.

I am in no rush to Move yet since i am still in full time work and the pay is Ok which gives me chance to save for that rainy day.

I know that i have lots of Questions and other people who are also thinking about moving to thailand will have lots of other questions, Thats why i thought that a new forum on the site would be useful.

what i am keen to know is the average household bills without the food and Life Style.

Malc

Rent a house, 12 000 B

Rent a room, 8000 B