Earthquake In Burma/Thailand

webfact

Bangkok is built on a bed of mud, that is why they pile down 30m to clay bed

to build an substantial structure.

It shakes with any substantial earthquake in region.

I can remember the light in my living room shaking one night in 1988/9.

The next day I read of a quake in China recorded at exactly the right time.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports from Chiang Mai say all is good, but people are a bit rattled.

Have just talked to aq friend in Chiang mai-the road is cracked, and a house missing a corner-alot of windows are broken and so.

Have family and friends in Mae Sai-and they say-one dead.Same here in Chiang Rai.

I'm in C.M. Me, Wife and 2 other couples were having dinner outside at the home of one couple when it hit. Some very strong ground movements from side to side. Got home just before 11:00 and felt another, lesser one.

Yep, I'm just now back in my room after the last shaking session..

Reports from Chiang Mai say all is good, but people are a bit rattled.

Have just talked to aq friend in Chiang mai-the road is cracked, and a house missing a corner-alot of windows are broken and so.

Have family and friends in Mae Sai-and they say-one dead.Same here in Chiang Rai.

Still shaking in Mae Chan. The second was more severe than the first (at least here....)

I can see it already,

Hub of Quakes.....

:cheesy::cheesy::guitar: it's the end of the world as we know it. it's the end.....

during the floods, Thanong, Nation financial Editor wrote a rambling rant about the god of destructoion, mara? , wreaking havoc on the sinful world. Can Someone prove him wrong? ha ha

felt it clearly in Chiang Mai, but no damage

living in CM too.. felt it ('<deleted>?'), then pass, then come back clearly moving the earth, m'lady out of her bedroom for tight, scared hugs (me holding tightest probably, not a common occurance for a Brit!).. as you say no damage reported here (as yet anyway).. hope others elsewhere are ok... surprised, and relieved of course, we didn't get it worse though considering it travelled as far south as Bangkok!!....:unsure: .................................. :wai:

Edited by leebeeUK

Felt it, 10th floor in Ratchada Bangkok, i just now found out what it was tough, originally i tought i was passing out, got dizzy as hell, didnt know it was due to a quake tough.

Nothing in Banglamung:.

There has been no affects (shaking, rolling, swaying) where I live (Ta Phraya - Sa Kaew province)! That's ground floor in a small town near the Cambodian border! If anyone has lost their house, and have no accomodation, they are welcome to come and stay!

What is scary (or real) is that you can have an earthquake 224km, underneath you (not away), but underneath?

I can see it already,

Hub of Quakes.....

:cheesy::cheesy::guitar: it's the end of the world as we know it. it's the end.....

during the floods, Thanong, Nation financial Editor wrote a rambling rant about the god of destructoion, mara? , wreaking havoc on the sinful world. Can Someone prove him wrong? ha ha

.. its all very amusing innit, while you don't actually believe it could really happen to YOU?!! Maybe not quite so, if the ground opens up and takes you a wee bit more than 6 feet under, closing up again like you'd never even existed!!! (Just a thought!)... :wai:

2 strong quakes hit Burma

The quakes struck seconds apart at 8:25 a.m. local time Friday near the Southeast Asian country's borders with Thailand and Laos, about 110 kilometres from the northern Thai city of Chiang Rai.

They were initially measured at 7.0 magnitude, but that was quickly lowered to 6.8.

The U.S. Geological Survey says one quake was shallow, centred 10 kilometres below the surface of the earth, and the other struck at a depth of 230 kilometres, which is exceptionally deep.

The effects could be felt as far away as the Thai capital of Bangkok, where buildings swayed.

Witnesses also said people were evacuated from Hanoi after tremors hit the Vietnam capital.

Your news

Did you feel the earthquake? Share your photos, videos and stories.

Full story:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ke-myanmar.html

That timing seems a bit off

Bangkok Post right (for once)<br><br>I certainley felt it for 5 or 6 seconds with mild movement as back was aginst wall plus water movement in fish tank.<br><br>A friend on the 14th floor of condo in Chang Clan road says was very scary and every one outside as building moving<br>

Hmm....I just moved out of the 12th floor at that same building (there is only one Condo bldg on Chang Klan road that high) His floor says "14th floor," but it's really the 13th floor, so I was only one floor down. (Now most new buildings in Thailand have 12-13-14th floors, but back a while, builders did what some Western cultures that believe the number 13 is bad luck, simply called the 13th floor the 14th floor.

I know a bit too much about concrete and the exterior stairways of that building, made of concrete, to me look like they were poured "wet." The stiffer the concrete mix is when poured the higher quality it will be (compressive strength) but often contractors water it down because a stiff mix is hard to work with, and a soupy mix is very easy. This results in inferior strength concrete (sometimes changing 2800psi concrete to 1200psi), and when this is done, often it shows up as cracks. Of course the cracks don't go anyplace because of the iron rebar inside it, but the I suspect that many buildings in Chiang Mai (which are the only ones I have seen) use concrete that would not achieve the compressive tests that they are supposed to, and compressive strength does count quite a lot during an earthquake. I wonder what those exterior walkways look like now.

From the top of the same building you can look out over the "Old City" within the moat, and see the tallest object visible in the old city. It is a ruin of a Wat that was damaged beyond repair in an earthquake back in the late 1800's.

I was talking to my gf on video chat when a second temblor occurred, she had heard that the first one was a 6.7, and was clearly a bit shaken--but I think she was all the more shaken because tomorrow she finds out if she passed an Engish exam she took yesterday.

Bangkok Post right (for once)<br><br>I certainley felt it for 5 or 6 seconds with mild movement as back was aginst wall plus water movement in fish tank.<br><br>A friend on the 14th floor of condo in Chang Clan road says was very scary and every one outside as building moving<br>

... see the tallest object visible in the old city. It is a ruin of a Wat that was damaged beyond repair in an earthquake back in the late 1800's.

Wat Chedi Luang's chedi was top-sliced a lot earlier than the 1800's mate ... suggest a little reading to firm up your data, unless you want to be a TAT-licensed tour guide?

Tentative theories (best guesses) suggest Chedi Luang may have been the same earthquake that changed the course of the Mae Nam Ping and destroyed Wieng Kum Kam as both events happened in the same half of the same century, but, although the Chedi Luang date was recorded with precision in chronicles, the Wieng Kum Kam event was not.

Yes another, hope it's an aftershock and not a warning of something bigger to come.

Anyone who's experienced earthquakes knows the aftershock(s) are almost inevitable and 99% of the time but a fraction of the initial shift. Only the superstitious and paranoid would think otherwise.

Was sitting in the lobby of the Shangri-La Hotel in Chiang Mai when the first one arrived & having lived thru numerous quakes in Southern California over a good number of years (including the Northridge quake in the early 90's) thought, "Oh gee, I think I feel an itty-bitty earthquake..." & continued with what I was doing, talking on the phone with a friend. The intensity was next to nil and while surprised of a quake in CM, I didn't jump from my seat as the intensity was anything but intense. I can however understand how the uninitiated might get rattled, but no more than that of the fear one might get from a severe thunder storm if that's not what you're used to. We used to regularly get 2-3 quakes in So.Cal's Imperial Valley just like that & more so on a yearly basis. We lived with it. I suppose those not exposed to this natural occurrence might freak out, but really... this was nothing to get excited about. One's life is a thousand fold more in danger simply driving around town than that quake ever was. I'm more rattled by the lunatic pinheads who run red lights and drive into oncoming traffic with no headlights than any quake ever does.