Taking Money Into And Out Of Thailand

Can I bring in any amount of U.S.Dollars (30,000.) to open a bank account need to convert part for the 800,000. retirement thing and if I leave is there a problem taking U.S.Dollars out of the country? Can I just walk thru customs etc. do I need to declare it.I will be coming from Israel thru Jordan cheaper air line ticket. Thanks for any advice

Leaving the security issues around carrying that amount of cash aside yes you can bring it into the country. You will need to declare it at customs. It is likely that should you lodge it to your account in one amount the Bank will be required to fill out forms which will at some point, maybe, matched to the customs forms.

Should you be wishing to take the money out at some time in the future, you will need to produce evidence that you brought it into the country. Make sure you receive a

Exchange Transaction form from the Bank for this purpose. They will be issued for amounts over 20k.

The rate you will receive is not the most attractive of those available. For example note buying on Bangkok Banks website is currently 29.86 versus the TT buy rate of 30.11, a difference of 7500 baht (USD250) which would more than cover bank fees and provide better security for you should you decide to send the money through the Banking system.

There will no doubt be further comments as to where you can get better rates should you wish to use other Exchange dealers to convert your cash.