Bangkok Address Changes On Hold

george

Address changes on hold

BANGKOK: -- Plan by BMA to rearrange street addresses in 25 districts spurs complaints from unhappy residents. In the face of growing complaints, Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin yesterday suspended the city administration’s plan to rearrange the street addresses of some one million homes and businesses in 25 districts across the capital.

“We have put the plan on hold after we received complaints from some residents,” Apirak said.

He said he had assigned Deputy Bangkok Governor Panich Vikitsret to meet with and gather information from affected residents. The governor said Panich would study the problems and forward information to him for a review within the next few weeks.

“Then we will decide whether to scrap or go ahead with the plan,” Apirak said.

Somsak Kongmark, who heads the BMA Administration and Registration Department, said the plan was now 20 per cent complete. Some new road and soi signs have already been erected, he said.

While the plan is on hold, Apirak said Somsak and relevant BMA officials would clarify to people the pros and cons of the address-change plan.

Officials say the plan will deliver a more efficient address system in the capital that allows people to locate places more easily. In each district, a key indicator to find a place under the new system is to go down a road or soi. Numerals will accompany a soi’s name. Addresses with odd numbers will be on the left, and even numbers on the right.

“We have done this for the benefit of the public,” Somsak said. He said that this was not the first time the BMA has rearranged addresses. The last round of address changes took place in 1996 in Bang Phlat district.

Apirak insisted that the BMA would cooperate with banks, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority, the Electricity Waterworks Authority and telephone companies to make sure the address changes go as smoothly as possible for affected residents.

Some service-delivery companies were also in contact with the BMA, Somsak said.

However, BMA reassurances that the address changes would be beneficial failed to convince many Bangkok residents.

Gen Preecha Rojanasen, a former deputy supreme commander and three-time senator, urged the BMA to drop the plan.

“Will it be really useful, given the fact that our capital doesn’t have a good zoning system in the first place?” he asked.

Preecha also pointed out that the plan would force both the BMA and residents to shoulder unnecessary expenses.

For example, he said the BMA would spend a huge amount of money to erect new road and soi signs. District offices would also face additional expenses when issuing new home registration forms for affected residents. The process also involved lots of paperwork and photocopying.

Preecha said residents at the same time would have to do a lot of work at the same time.

“If I have four credit cards, I will have to alert four companies. I will have to photocopy and submit documents about my address change. Those companies will have to confirm in writing that they know my new address. So, many of us are going to waste time and money doing such things if the plan goes forward,” he said.

The BMA should be more cautious in spending its budget. “There is other, more urgent work to do – to name a few, flooding and traffic jams,” he said.

Acharee Pansaya, a Pattanakarn resident, said an address change was like a name change.

“Changing your address is like changing your name. It entails so many changes at various locales that we need to visit. The BMA’s main task is to make things easier for citizens, not to create unnecessary difficulties like this,” she said.

In addition to getting her house registration changed, she would still have to go to many agencies to change the address to where water, phone and electricity bills should be sent. She would also have to alert banks and credit-card companies about her address change when she was still living at exactly the same old place.

“Then, what about newspapers I subscribe to? Will old friends and so many other people know where I live after the change?” Acharee asked.

Donrudee Noonron, a post office official, said many postal customers were confused about what address they should write on envelopes and parcels after they were informed of their address change. But she was optimistic. “I think things will get easier as time passes,” she said.

--The Nation 2005-09-21

“We have put the plan on hold after we received complaints from some residents,” Apirak said.

Some residents complained about still not having received a post office circular promising a faster and more efficient service for 1992. :o

“If I have four credit cards, I will have to alert four companies. I will have to photocopy and submit documents about my address change".

Therein lies part of the problem in dealing with the Thai bureaucracy, even as it pertains to working with businesses. Why should this change-of-address process be any more complicated than simply informing the credit card company once, here is my new address? Why does a business require documentation nine-ways-to-the-sun for what should be such a simple change?