I know we only sing when we're winning, but 12-10 against a South Seas Islands team of any colour is a great result

http://www.irbsevens.com//destination/edition=5/fixturesresults.html

for Scotland, anyway, and a tremendous result for the Canadians over Argentina and Russia over Kenya

Some real upsets already

I'm imagining I am there, and later I intend to flush my wallet down the toilet and wake up naked in a public park.

Sevens weekend in HK, eh?

SC

eh? what, officer?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been live on satellite all weekend, and users with a PSI Dmove, Dynasat move dish can watch it free to air with these details

HK Sevens Rugby live wild feed

Satellite: Asiasat 5

FREQ: 3714

POL: V

SR: 6111

VDO: FTA

Feed name: REACH PVU PLUS 1

Live all weekend so far and free to view

It has been live on satellite all weekend, and users with a PSI Dmove, Dynasat move dish can watch it free to air with these details

HK Sevens Rugby live wild feed

Satellite: Asiasat 5

FREQ: 3714

POL: V

SR: 6111

VDO: FTA

Feed name: REACH PVU PLUS 1

Live all weekend so far and free to view

Unfortunately that is beyond my current technical capabilities...

But thanks very much - I'll see what I can find on my Astrobox

SC

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

FROM WELLINGTON

Live text commentary feed:

MATCH 7: New Zealand v Scotland

15:19 - The crowd is silenced as Scotland end the first half 7-0 up against the hosts. They have never beaten New Zealand in Sevens...

and sure enough

15:30 - And they are back on their feet as captain DJ Forbes scores a hat-trick to secure a 29-7 victory against Scotland. The hosts' title defence has begun following Match 7.

In other pools, Tonga draw with Wales and beat Fiji

more anon.

SC

Edit: http://www.irbsevens.com/destination/edition=3/news/newsid=2061092.html#wellington+sevens+live

Edited by StreetCowboy

Hehe no surprise although I wish I'd been there half time. A sweet moment...

55-0! top score for Saturday, and probably the weekend. But sadly, not enough to turn around 29-7 to NZ or 21-14 to Samoa.

It reminds me of the last time I was in HK for the Sevens. I sit in the dry stands, so we had popped down to the bar for a few while a dull game was on.

Wohoa! the cheer went up; well, it's nice that Japan score against NZ... WOHOA! and suddenly we were all supping up and rushing back up to the stands.

Japan were still leading when the final whistle blew, but the All-Blacks had the ball, and went on to score and win; I've nver seen the stadium so excited for a group game, nor so united behind one team, nor such a sigh of inevitable disappointment.... But that is what HK and the Sevens is all about

SC

• 1 month later...

Well as I've said often enough, my wallet and my liver voted against going to HK this year, and I didn't want to go without them, so I'm following the scores on the IRB web site - finals are on Star or ESPN tomorrow afternoon (I forget which channel...)

There have been some cracking group games, thanks to the unusual structure of this year's competition

China scraping a win over Uruguay early this morning, Portugal coming back from 22-0 down at half time to beat Japan, Zimbabwe holding off Canada to win 24-21, and in their next game scoring a minute after the final whistle to beat the Philippines 21-17, and Scotland scoring in the ninth minute to beat France 14-12. Unfortunately, that won't be enough to see us through to the Cup Quarterfinals, thanks to big losses to Fiji and Australia.

SC

AND ANOTHER THING!

Has anyone else noticed that the IRB Scotland Sevens has been moved to Scotstoun (capacity 5,000) - OFFS!

Where are the spectators going to sit? That'll be scarcely enough for the teams' friends and family!

Its nice to have the Scotstoun Stadium, where they take rugby seriously, and its a great venue for the League internationals, and probably a good venue for Glasgow Warriors, if they can't stay at Firhill, but for the IRB World Series? 5,000 capacity? Or will they be putting up temporary stands, like Dubai?

I doubt there's anyone from the SRFU follows this thread, but you never know - even dinosaurs need a holiday from time to time...

SC

• 3 months later...

Now then!

Anyone else fancy a trip to Singapore 2 - 3 November for the Sevens World Cup Qualifiers?

I don;t think I'll be going to the Cup in Moscow, next year, but the qualifying cometition was fun four years ago in HK

http://www.rwcsevens.com/home/news/newsid=2063173.html#direct+qualifiers+start+rwc+sevens+2013

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 4 weeks later...

Qualification for the World Cup got underway this weekend in the Algarve.

Portugal overcame Spain to win the Algarve Sevens, France beat Georgia for third place, and following a Quarter-Final defeat by France, Scotland beat Germany and Italy to lift the Plate, and become the fifth team to qualify for World Cup in Moscow next year. They join Wales (holders), Russia (hosts) and England to make up eight from Europe.

Oceania and North America qualifying tournaments in a month, African tournament in September, an Asian Qualifirs 2 - 3 November in Singapore. Anyone else going down for that?

SC

• 1 month later...

In the first of three ranking tournaments - the Kota Kinabalu Sevens, Japan snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, scoring fourteen points after Hong Kong were reduced to six men with 90 seconds on the clock.

Thailand went out of the bowl semi-finals to Sri Lanka.

Shanghai (22-23 Sep) will be followed by Mumbai (13-14 October), climaxing with the World Cup Qualifiers in Singapore 2-3 November.

SC

• 1 month later...

A last minute try sees hosts Australia clinch top place in their pool in the Gold Coast Sevens, by one point over Fiji. Last year's champions, New Zealand, were pushed back to second place when they lost to South Africa. Argentina, France, Samoa and Kenya make up the remainder of the Cup quarter-finalists. British hopes lie in the Bowl, with Scotland meeting the Auld Enemie first up, and Wales face the USA in their first match tomorrow.

Meanwhile, closer to home, in Mumbai Hong Kong and Japan duke it out for a top-16 place with the big boys at the HK Sevens, and qualification for the world cup in Moscow next year. Thailand finished second behind Hong Kong in Pool D, and come up against their own "Auld Enemie" Malaysia tomorrow morning.

Relative strangers to International rugby, Iran and Afghhanistan, will be looking to score their first points of the tournament against UAE and Khazakhstan respectively.

SC

My apologies for not following up after the Finals last Sunday;

Iran and Afghanistan did manage to get points on the board, but didn't manage to win a game; maybe next season...

Scotland lost in their bowl quarterfinal to England, but beat Portugal and the USA convincingly to lift the Shield, while England lost in the Bowl final to Spain.

Argentina beat Australia and France on the way to the Plate, while South Africa beat Kenya to lift third place.

Fiji beat New Zealand in a final that was no closer than the 32-14 score line might suggest

SC

• 2 weeks later...

I guess most of you guys are down in Singapore for the World Cup Qualifiers, but for those few amongst us stuck at home through work commitments or incarceration at the pleasure of the crown, a brief update on the status going into the Finals tomorrow...

Thailand face Khazakstan in the Bowl Final

Malaysia face Sri Lanka in the Plate Semi-Finals, with the winner meeting either China or Singapore

Hong Kong and Japan remain on course to meet in the Cup Final, though they have to overcome South Korea and Philippines respectively in the semi-finals.

Guam and Indonesia battle it out for the Wooden Spoon

SC

A very brief update prior to the Finals this afternoon, counting from the bottom...

Guam v Indonesia for 11th place

Thailand v Khazakhstan for the Bowl

Malaysia v Singapore for 7th place

Sri Lanka v China for the Plate

South Korea v Philppines for 3rd place and a trip to Moscow for the World Cup next year

Hong Kong v Japan for the Cup; both teams go to Moscow

SC

In the last moments of the Final, after the hooter had gone, trailing by a conversion, Hong Kong are awarded a penalty as the Japanese are reduced to six men; a quick tap penalty, but a misunderstanding between the HK team sees the ball-carrier bundled into touch, and Japan are the Cup Winners. Both teams will be going to Moscow for the world cup, along with the Philippines who edged out South Korea; Philippines' first trip to the World Cup in any code of football (bar Sepak Takraw).

Further down the rankings, Sri Lanka comfortably defeated China to lift the Plate, while Thailand beat Khazakhstan in the Bowl Final.

Malaysia finished two places higher, in a derby match beating Singapore for 7th place, while Guam pushed Indonesia into 12th and last place.

Next stop, Moscow in the springtime... though prior to that, the IRB World Series continues. Anyone else going to Dubai at the start of December?

SC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well after a bit of youthful exuberance after our win over Fiji, I'm glad there's no gloating English Bs on this forum. As in the last couple of tournaments, we find ourselves together in the Bowl quarterfinals in South Aftrica...

SC

Evidence of the competitiveness of the IRB Sevens series - two of the teams currently lying third-equal in the series after two rounds find themselves in the Bowl competition in South Africa. Dubai champions Samoa finished bottom of their pool, while Kenya finished third despite two wins, behind Wales and Argentina. Gold Coast champions Fiji lost to Scotland in their opening round but beat series leaders New Zealand to top their pool.

So today in the bowl...

Australia v Zimbabwe

Kenya v Scotland

Canada v Samoa, Dubai champions

England v Spain (honours even in their two meetings to date this season)

and in the Cup

S. Africa v USA

Wales v N. Zealand (in the battle of the woolly jumpers)

Portugal v France

Fiji v Argentina

SC

• 1 month later...

Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho!

I am chortling with glee and rubbing my hands to boot at the Wellington results so far.

Scotland with wins over pool-toppers Portugal, and favourites Fiji, will go through to the Quarter-Finals, and their match against Australia will decide which half of the draw they go in. You may recall that at the last outing, in Dubai, Scotland put Australia out of the Bowl Quarter-Finals...

England top their pool, but a draw with USA means that the pool is still wide open, and their win over series leaders New Zealand must give them grounds for optimism looking forward to their final match against Spain; though recent results belie that confidence.

France and Argentina will duke it out later this afternoon for a place in the Cup Quarter-finals, and Canada and Wales play Samoa and South Africa respectively to determine who will go through from their pool.

the Finals are on live on Star Sports tomorrow afternoon

SC

Tomorrow's Quarter-Final fixtures in Wellington

(from http://www.irbsevens...resresults.html)

Fixtures

25. 02 Feb 2013 - 13:00 Spain - Portugal QF Bowl

26. 02 Feb 2013 - 13:22 Canada - Tonga QF Bowl

27. 02 Feb 2013 - 13:44 Fiji - United States QF Bowl

28. 02 Feb 2013 - 14:06 France - Wales QF Bowl

29. 02 Feb 2013 - 14:33 England - Scotland QF Cup

30. 02 Feb 2013 - 14:55 Samoa - Argentina QF Cup

31. 02 Feb 2013 - 15:17 Australia - New Zealand QF Cup

32. 02 Feb 2013 - 15:39 Kenya - South Africa QF Cup

New Zealand narrowly avoid their first ever Bowl Quarter-Final (for all I know) winning 17-10 over USA, to finish runners-up to England, who emulated their 15-a-side colleagues with a victory over the All Blacks. The USA face Fiji in their (Fiji's) first ever Bowl game, according to the IRB news page.

I believe that the finals will be on live on Star Sports, as mentioned earlier

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

In the Finals in Wellington,

Wales beat Tonga to lift the Shield,

Fiji lose their first ever Bowl final to Canada, only their second ever defeat to Canada

and Australia leading Scotland 17 - 7 in the Plate Final.

England will meet Kenya in the Cop Final

Four and a half minutes to go in the Plate, Scotland with a scrum in the middle of the park...

Andrew Turnbull, Scotland's toptry scorer comes on, Scotland win a free kick, then a penalty...

One minute thirty

Scotland lose the ball forward

Fortyfive seconds

Scrum goes against the head

Walker steals the ball in the tackle

Fifteen seconds, penalty to Scotland

A feeble pass doesn't go to hand

and Australia break to score the final try...

22-7; that's not as bad a result as yesterday, when Australia beat Scotland 29-5 to top their pool...

Australia win the Plate

Edited by StreetCowboy

New Zealand beat Samoa to claim third spot, and that extends their lead at the top of the World Series.

The Las Vegas pools are drawn and...

Scotland in ranked second in Pool A with the Cup Winners from tonight and .. Oh For Goodness Sake! Fiji and Portugal again, the same as this weekend. Just the same as when we were drawn fourth in our Pool.

But now, the teams are on the pitch for the New Zealand Sevens Cup Final; Kenya in only their second Cup Final

Good penetrative running by England brings them up over half way, and Dan Naughton (That's Norton, Nigel. Whai's yer Rs?) slices through the Kenyan defence to score under the posts.

And England recover the restart and score again...

12-0

And now it's Kenya's time to break, but there are no gaps in the England defence; penalty; and Horace Otieno doesn't need a gap - not held in the tackle he scores under the posts and narrow the gap to five points.

And Kenya's confidence is back; tighter defending sees them turn over the ball, break down the right wing and Tom Powell cannot match Oscar Uma's speed, and Kenya level the scores. And as we approach half time, Willie Ambake's long arms hold off the tacklers and he goes over to take the lead for Kenya - 19 - 12 at half time.

Fierce tackling by Kenya, and an unforced knock-on by Dan Norton, and a chance goes begging.

Kenya closed down by England, there's no way into space, but the support is good and they retain possession,,,some lose ball in the tackle and England win a scrum twentyfive metres out. Now a penalty. Powell tries to break through, back across the pitch, Jeff Williams tries to off-load, and England are penalised for playing on the ground.

Kenya kick the ball upfield but England win the lineout, and Dan Norton breaks, but the cover is good, Kenya recover the ball, but they;re stopped, Colins Sinjera breaks, but Marcus Watson catches him, great support play by both sides but finally Kenya are penalised and England kick upfield for touch. Three minutes thirty remaining, Kenya lead by seven, England with possessiobn over the half way line, ball lost forward and Kenya take the scrummage.

Kenya retaining possession - until I start to write this, and a turn-over, deliberate knock-on, and Kenya are a man down. Desperate defending sees Kenya prevent a certain try, and the ball goes to the other side of the field and back - the six Kenyans tackling like dervishes and he's over the line he's juggling the ball and ... oh... he's lost it!

Kenya keeping it slow in the ruck, "USE IT" shouts the referee, a turn-over, out wide and desperate desperate defending sees Kenya prevent another certain try, another deliberate knock-on and Kenya are down to five men... not unsurprisingly, England score under the posts to equalise!

Extra time, but Kenya are still down to six men

And we're into the first period of extra time, next score wins the game...Kenya with the put in to a scrum, it's untidy and the referee resets the scrum, free kick to Kenya, Sinjera breaks, turn-over, England can't g3t the ball to their wide men, Dan Norton tries to break through the tackles and Sam Edgerley spins over the line to seal the game for England, and heartbreak for Kenya 24 - 19.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Congratulations to England on a thrilling win, which brings them out of the play-off zone to remain in the core teams for next year's season (for the time being, at least!), and into Pool A in Las Vegas with Scotland, Fiji and Portugal.

SC

Helpmaboab! The Sevens world turned upside down again....

Fiji scrape through against Scotland 14-12 to end the group stage with three wins, back in their customary top-seed place in the Quarter-Finals, while Scotland also get into the Quarter-Finals after, for only the third time in 26 attempts, beating England 14-0 to consign them to the Bowl, with a record of three straight losses in the Pool stage.

So their Quarter-Final this evening in the Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, will be against Samoa, while Fiji will face Australia. Or Spain, Or the USA; we won't know until the final match this afternoon - Spain - USA.

SC

• 1 month later...

I'm sat in the office following the latest scores from Hong Kong and imagining I'm there watching.

Fiji are running riot against Hong Kong, and I'm imagining that I'm glad I didn't bother going up into the East Stand to watch, and stayed down near the bar.

The chaps in the office are getting a bit fed up with me talking so loud, slurring my speech and beginning to sway a bit; the perils of a vivid imagination...

SC

no tv coverage for me, i've got it on http://cricfree.tv/sky-sports-3.php

Wales 19 Australia 14 with 30 sec to play

Is it showing the 12-team qualification tournament as well as the main 16 - team competition?

In the qualification tournament first round, wins for Zimbabwe, Georgia and Uraguay; now Russia v Cook Islands...