Obama to address nation on Libyan civil war

News_Editor

Obama to address nation on Libyan civil war

2011-03-26 06:10:26 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- U.S. President Barack Obama will address the nation on Monday evening to update the American people on the civil war in Libya, the White House confirmed on Friday.

A brief statement from the White House said Obama will deliver a speech from the National Defense University in Washington, D.C. to update the American people on the situation in Libya, "including the actions we've taken with allies and partners to protect the Libyan people from the brutality of Muammar Gaddafi."

The White House said Obama will also discuss the transition to NATO command and control and the U.S. policy going forward. The speech is scheduled to take place at 7.30 p.m. Eastern time on Monday.

The announcement of Obama's planned address comes just hours after the President briefed a group of Members of Congress on the situation in Libya. Some Members of Congress had been calling on Obama to give a national address and to declare war with Libya, although that is not expected to happen.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-26

So even this guy Obama calls it a civil war :rolleyes:

Wonder how Abe Lincoln or Jefferson Davis would have felt if another country tried to stop their civil war? Claiming one side was killing civilians

After all both sides surely did.

Edited by flying

I find it very ironic that a guy that got the Nobel peace prize is again bombing the crap out of another Middle eastern country.

All in the name of PEACE no doubt ?

I also so a video saying he has just signed a Presidential decree that allows him to incarcerate a person for the rest of their life even after a court of law have found them innocent of all charges but simply on the say so of this ego maniac. Frightening ! Really frightening !

I find it very ironic that a guy that got the Nobel peace prize is again bombing the crap out of another Middle eastern country.

All in the name of PEACE no doubt ?

I also so a video saying he has just signed a Presidential decree that allows him to incarcerate a person for the rest of their life even after a court of law have found them innocent of all charges but simply on the say so of this ego maniac. Frightening ! Really frightening !

Document please.

Frightening ! Really frightening !

Yeah, he's a frighteningly great president!

Just kidding. He's just OK. Below his absurdly high expectations, but the problems he was served by world events way above expectations. Good enough for government work as they say. Get ready to be "frightened" through 2016.

Edited by Jingthing

It is a civil war and we know nothing about the side that we are supporting. Now THAT is frightening. :unsure:

Fair enough, but a fair bet worse than Ghadafi would be quite a feat. It's a risk but I don't think an unreasonable one though that doesn't mean it will succeed.

If you recall, I wanted Obama to do the no fly zone thing MUCH EARLIER back when the rebels were very close to winning and Ghadafi started threatening mass murders of his people. That would have been an even bigger risk of horrible PR for the USA, but I still think that would have been the smartest move strictly strategically.

I think Bush should have been more like Obama for Iraq (wait for Arab league and Nato cooperation which he would have NEVER got), and Obama should have been more like Bush in Libya. Each situation is different and great leaders pick the best choice for the specific situations, not relying on a rigid dogma.

Edited by Jingthing

It is a civil war and we know nothing about the side that we are supporting. Now THAT is frightening. :unsure:

A very good point. As CallmeScooter pointed out in another thread, the US identified Eastern Libya and Benghazi as a source of a large number of Al-Qaeda volunteers that appeared in Iraq. It would not be good if the fundementalists were able to get a foothold because of this action.

Fair enough, but a fair bet worse than Ghadafi would be quite a feat. It's a risk but I don't think an unreasonable one though that doesn't mean it will succeed.

Gaddafi is a worthless dirt-bag for sure, but he got rid of his nuclear weapons program and stopped supporting terrorism long ago.

I would be far more worried about a government allied with or controlled by Iran/Al-Qaeda/the Muslim brotherhood and that is a distinct possibility. :(

Edited by Ulysses G.

Countries in the Middle East deserve the chance to determine their own governments. These popular revolutions are a sea change and the end result is uncertain, but resisting the wave is not really a realistic option.

BTW, the government of Israel is suggesting a similar military action as in Libya to support the anti-regime movement in Iran. Of course, that would never be approved by Nato or even the US, but it is kind of interesting. I suppose it might be possible someday if different circumstances develop.

Edited by Jingthing

Countries in the Middle East deserve the chance to determine their own governments. These popular revolutions are a sea change and the end result is uncertain, but resisting the wave is not really a realistic option.

If they didn't have all the oil or if we had a good alternative to it I would be far more comfortable :( .

One other thing to remember is that a lot of these countries were 'created' by the western powers in relatively modern times, often by just drawing lines on maps with little consideration for the people and tribes that lived there.

This is very cynical, but if we had left them alone and Gaddafi had crushed the rebellion, there is a very good chance that other protesters in the region would have been too scared to carry on.

As it is, we are involved in something that is none of our business, that is probably going to hurt our own interests and that no one will be grateful for.

It might have made sense if we had done this in Iran during the popular uprising, but why Libya after the monster had been tamed? sad.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

I understand the concern entirely. If there is an uprising in Saudi, that's going to be a real crisis. The west is fine with the repression there, while at same time mouthing freedom and democracy rhetoric for other countries. So if there is a popular uprising in Saudi, how does the west react?

Edited by Jingthing

The same scenario is about to happen in Syria, which is 75% Sunni brotherhood of Islam and 15% ruling Alawite. Should Assad get outside help Iran and Hizbollah are about the only choice leaving them on a collision course with Saudi Arabia.

If there is any consistency Nato should intervene to oust the despotic Assad. Tick tick tick... Armageddon calling.

I understand the concern entirely. If there is an uprising in Saudi, that's going to be a real crisis. The west is fine with the repression there, while at same time mouthing freedom and democracy rhetoric for other countries. So if there is a popular uprising in Saudi, how does the west react?

Indeed JT. We westerners ( or at least our government ) only become morally outraged over human rights when it's politically expedient

This is very cynical, but if we had left them alone and Gaddafi had crushed the rebellion, there is a very good chance that other protesters in the region would have been too scared to carry on.

As it is, we are involved in something that is none of our business, that is probably going to hurt our own interests and that no one will be grateful for.

It might have made sense if we had done this in Iran during the popular uprising, but why Libya after the monster had been tamed? sad.gif

Agreed. When it comes to killing Muslims tend to have a priority list - 1) Jews 2)Other infidels 3) Muslims of different sects 4) Moderates within their own sect. Why jump the queue?

there are 2 nice things for me:

1. Thailand does not have oil. therethrough it will be not bombed

2.Russia has oil as well as nuclear weapon. therethrough it will be not bombed

Edited by StasD

There was a uprising & it was crushed

French military says 7 Libyan aircraft destroyed

Paris - French fighter jets destroyed five Libyan military planes and two helicopters, the Defence Ministry announced late Saturday in Paris.

The aircraft were hit in a French airstrike Saturday near Misurata, where forces loyal to leader Moamer Gaddafi are trying to fight off rebels.

The Gaddafi opponents have advanced in recent days from their strongholds in eastern Libya, after a United Nations-backed no-fly zone offered safety nullified the Tripoli regime's air power in the country.

The aircraft were destroyed to prevent their use against rebel forces, French officials said.

The Libyan aircraft were described as five single-engine Galeb jets, which were training planes and light air-to-ground strike fighters from the former Yugoslavia, and two Soviet-era Mi-35 heavy attack helicopters.

Misurata is Libya's third-largest city. Gaddafi holds Tripoli, while rebels have held second-city Benghazi since early in the uprising against the government.//DPA

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-27

French military says 7 Libyan aircraft destroyed

Paris - French fighter jets destroyed five Libyan military planes and two helicopters, the Defence Ministry announced late Saturday in Paris.

The aircraft were hit in a French airstrike Saturday near Misurata, where forces loyal to leader Moamer Gaddafi are trying to fight off rebels.

The Gaddafi opponents have advanced in recent days from their strongholds in eastern Libya, after a United Nations-backed no-fly zone offered safety nullified the Tripoli regime's air power in the country.

The aircraft were destroyed to prevent their use against rebel forces, French officials said.

The Libyan aircraft were described as five single-engine Galeb jets, which were training planes and light air-to-ground strike fighters from the former Yugoslavia, and two Soviet-era Mi-35 heavy attack helicopters.

Misurata is Libya's third-largest city. Gaddafi holds Tripoli, while rebels have held second-city Benghazi since early in the uprising against the government.//DPA

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-27

Does a no-fly zone include taking out aircraft on the ground?

So even this guy Obama calls it a civil war :rolleyes:

Wonder how Abe Lincoln or Jefferson Davis would have felt if another country tried to stop their civil war? Claiming one side was killing civilians

After all both sides surely did.

So you think other nations didn't pick sides in the USA civil war? Wrong.

Edited by animatic