19Th Century Internet Banking

watutsi

I have just registered with Bangkok Banks Online Banking. I had almost got used to the antiquated methods of banking here

but figured they had to enter the 21st century at some point.My main reason for registering was to easily pay my rent to my

landlord who also has an account with BB, an incredibly simple transaction usually, but TIT.

It seems i can only pay money to an already selected list of companies who have an arrangement with BB. W.T.F.!

I've been trying for over an hour now and am despairing can anyone confirm this fact or have i got something wrong ?

Also has anyone transferred money online from a UK bank into BBs London branch and the money eventually end up in Thailand.

Thankyou for any first hand info.

It is more difficult to set up an 3rd party account to pay into due to enhanced security reasons. Before, you could set up 3rd party accounts by just using your 2nd pin number verification but now you have to go into your branch with passport etc to prove who you are. I think this is much safer.

Edited by DMC1

In fairness, it is security related. The bank cannot ensure security so it has adopted a conservative approach. Although a pain, at last the bank is realistic. Also the conservative approach keeps a lid on fraud. Not much help I know, but I'm trying to provide an explanation so that one is not too harsh on the bank.

Bangkok Bank, when you set up 3rd party a/c all you need is a/c number ( not even sure if you need a name? ), enter that and then they will send OTP ( one time password ) to you mobile. You will then have to enter this number to confirm you want to add that a/c - job done.

JH

In fairness, it is security related. The bank cannot ensure security so it has adopted a conservative approach. Although a pain, at last the bank is realistic. Also the conservative approach keeps a lid on fraud. Not much help I know, but I'm trying to provide an explanation so that one is not too harsh on the bank.

I take your point about security,but once you are logged in to your average bank in the west,

it is not necessary to get on your donkey and travel all the way to your bank to ask for permission

to transfer your own money to another account [at the click of a mouse] within that countries

banking system.The system is either secure or not, why is everything so illogical here, even in technology

as universal as online banking ?

Bangkok Bank, when you set up 3rd party a/c all you need is a/c number ( not even sure if you need a name? ), enter that and then they will send OTP ( one time password ) to you mobile. You will then have to enter this number to confirm you want to add that a/c - job done.

JH

Correct was as you say ten days ago :rolleyes:

I use B B From Aus I can transfer money straight from my account to B B no idea about UK but why not the same ?

To pay someone you set up a third party account- easy put in the details They SMS a code - easy .

I have been using BB for a couple of years. I pay most of my bills online to the normal institutions, as well as transfer my rent payment to both my previous and current landlord. I can transfer to my partner's account from my iPhone, or transfer money to anyone's account. I transfer salary back to Australia regularly. Use the "Transfers" option to pay someone who's not on their bill payment list. You need to set them up as a payee first. They send an SMS code to confirm, then once you put the code in, you can immediately transfer funds. There are three options regarding timing and fees... I think for 50baht, I can transfer money to my partner immediately. I can do it from my phone, and about 30 seconds after I confirm the transaction, she gets an SMS saying the money is in her account. International accounts do require a visit to the branch, and an annual update, and there is both a transaction limit and an annual limit based on your salary. My rent, I have a recurring transfer set up, and it automatically completes the transfer on the 1st of each month. The service is sometimes slow, and their mobile platform is a little dated, but IMHO the service is stellar for a Thailand organization! Where they do let me down is their stupid Be1st Smart ATM card... It's so smart that it won't work with any other bank's ATM, here or OS, and I have even struck older BB ATM's it won't work with. So if I want money while traveling OS, I need to take it from my Australian account!