80% Of Thais Oppose Nuclear Power Plants

Lite Beer

80% of people oppose nuclear power plants

By The Nation on Sunday.

30151871-01.jpg

Over 80 per cent of Thai people disagreed with the plan to build nuclear power plants in Thailand, a recent Abac Poll by Assumption University revealed yesterday.

Abac Poll director Noppadon Kannika said the poll about people's views on nuclear plants was conducted on 3,807 peopled aged 18 to 60 in Bangkok and 16 other provinces from March 1-25.

The poll found 83 per cent of respondents disagreed with the plan to build nuclear plants in Thailand and only 16.6 per cent backed the move.

When asked about construction of a nuclear plant in their respective provinces, 89.5 per cent of respondents objected it while only 10.5 agreed.

Bangkok had the largest number of nay-sayers to the plan at 95 per cent followed by those living in Southern Thailand at 91.5 per cent, those living in Central region at 91 per cent, those living in the North at 90 per cent and those living in the Northeast at 85.8 per cent. More details about the poll can be seen at:

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-27

These figures cannot be argued with, as they will be true of all that were asked. The 70% of rural people would not have been asked so they wouldn't have been included.

It did say N/E BKK South, Cities ??? shows what polls can do, distort national opinion, when required. As I say depends who you ask. But If a real opinion was given across the board the poll would still have been near enough.

And to add, 80% of Thais should therefore read ==who were questioned

Yet another astoundinlgy insightful poll by one of the leading news reporting agencies in the Kingdom!:whistling: The timing of which could not have been better, just after a potential nuclear meltdown in Japan! I would like to see the results if it was suggested that the price of electricity would be decreased by 50% ? therefore giving a CASH incentive to the locals....... Normally I would also point out the jobs it would create and wealth to the local region such a venture would generate BUT we know how many feel towards a bit of graft...........

These figures cannot be argued with, as they will be true of all that were asked. The 70% of rural people would not have been asked so they wouldn't have been included.

It did say N/E BKK South, Cities ??? shows what polls can do, distort national opinion, when required. As I say depends who you ask. But If a real opinion was given across the board the poll would still have been near enough.

Do you think the rural people would support nuclear power?

All that shows is a complete lack of knowledge on the subject along with scaremongering by the media (who would make things appear worse than they are for ratings and because of lack of knowledge on the subject). Ask those polled to do some proper reading about nuclear power and today's systems ( :lol: ) - or to have it described to them by those in the know - and take the poll again.

As I said, look at the timing of this poll! I would also like to se the wording of the question, as I suspect it was something like..

Do YOU want a potential nuclear atomic bomb/disaster in your rice fields next to your kids school - which may also throw out a bit of electricity???

Do you think the rural people would support nuclear power?

A good majority wouldn't understand--and wouldn't even care. But really the point of my reply is these polls never say, venders - market people- farm workers- 7-11 employees--gardeners-fishermen etc. Polls in general only ask the 20% of educated Hi SO--style people.

A good majority wouldn't understand--and wouldn't even care. But really the point of my reply is these polls never say, venders - market people- farm workers- 7-11 employees--gardeners-fishermen etc. Polls in general only ask the 20% of educated Hi SO--style people.

A good majority wouldn't understand, but they would care.

Do you think the pollsters track down the hi-sos in the 18 or 20 or 30 provinces that they conduct the polls?

I would suggest that the polls are taken from random (not the TV poster :D). That doesn't mean that they get a true cross-section of people, but not as limited as "the 20% of educated Hi-So - style people".

That doesn't mean that the questions are not designed in a way to get predictable responses or that the interpretation or reporting isn't slanted in way to put the "right" message across.

A good majority wouldn't understand, but they would care.

Do you think the pollsters track down the hi-sos in the 18 or 20 or 30 provinces that they conduct the polls?

I would suggest that the polls are taken from random (not the TV poster :D). That doesn't mean that they get a true cross-section of people, but not as limited as "the 20% of educated Hi-So - style people".

That doesn't mean that the questions are not designed in a way to get predictable responses or that the interpretation or reporting isn't slanted in way to put the "right" message across.

How can you really care if you don't understand ??? NO I don't think that they track down the HI SOs--it was a figure of speech, only. So wouldn't have been limited to HI SOs---but style also meant not the vendors etc I mentioned. Your last paragraph was good-so no need to nit-pick-when you must have known what I meant.B)

well done, good timing, high percentage !! I guess it would be same high percentage if asking 'do you plan this Songkhan holiday in Sendai ?'

emotional poll, no insight, waste of money, bad example of polling :-)

How can you really care if you don't understand ??? NO I don't think that they track down the HI SOs--it was a figure of speech, only. So wouldn't have been limited to HI SOs---but style also meant not the vendors etc I mentioned. Your last paragraph was good-so no need to nit-pick-when you must have known what I meant.B)

Sorry about the "nit-picking" but I didn't agree with the reference to "Hi-So's".

You can "care" about something that you don't understand. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't stop you from worrying about it, whether it is justified or not.

Haha! 80% of Thais can't count to 10! What would you expect from such a backward society! They have a better chance of getting cancer from cell phones than from nuclear radiation, but ask them whether they will give up their cell phones! Despite all the problems in Japan the world powers are not going to be giving up nuclear power.

Sorry about the "nit-picking" but I didn't agree with the reference to "Hi-So's".

You can "care" about something that you don't understand. Just because you don't understand it, doesn't stop you from worrying about it, whether it is justified or not.

I'm not anti well off people, it was a term picked out of the blue. I would therefore think the non understanding types may well '' worry ''about the unknown, for sure I do at times. So ''worry''be the term -rather than care --Yes ???

Yet another astoundinlgy insightful poll by one of the leading news reporting agencies in the Kingdom!:whistling: The timing of which could not have been better, just after a potential nuclear meltdown in Japan! I would like to see the results if it was suggested that the price of electricity would be decreased by 50% ? therefore giving a CASH incentive to the locals....... Normally I would also point out the jobs it would create and wealth to the local region such a venture would generate BUT we know how many feel towards a bit of graft...........

Highly unlikely that nuclear power would result in a discount over today's energy prices. It's hard to beat natural gas and coal for cost competitiveness today. The correct way to have phrased the question would be: "Are you willing to pay more than 3 times as much for your future electricity, or do without electricity altogether, in order to eliminate nuclear power in Thailand?"

That would be a much more interesting poll. As it is, most people have no clue, and this poll reflects that. They listen to the rhetoric and believe that we can all live happily ever after in peace and harmony on solar cells and rainbows. The concept of EROEI and the physics of concentrated vs. diffuse energy sources is completely lost on them.

Most Thais , 80% wouldnt even know what plant they are talking about and if they did they would want to know if they can eat it . :D

And just organize a "Thai" referendum... like elections :lol: , just need to buy them for 200 baht each to get nuclear plants on the way :lol:

The idea of Thais running nuclear facilities just sends a chill down my spine. The country doesn't have the engineers, organizational skills, and proper scientific knowledge base to do this. They could pay outside contractors to build and run the plant but that's probably far more costly than any anticipated savings. One meltdown would devastate Thailand though. Imagine BKK being irradiated because someone couldn't be bothered to flip the cooling containment switch or something.

Just remember that the MRT even had a couple high profile crashes and that was considered "foolproof" by many.

Over 80 per cent of Thai people disagreed with the plan to build nuclear power plants in Thailand, a recent Abac Poll by Assumption University revealed yesterday.

Please Assumption give us a break. Wasn't it your institution that made a research that girls won't have sex on Valentine's?

Did you ask the Thai staff working for you, or some homeless?

Fact is that more than 80% of Thais don't know what a nuclear power plant really is. Try to explain how a microwave oven works and you'll know what they don't know.

But you come up with weird studies about things you don't really know much about, right?

Please can't you come up with a serious research instead of BS which nobody likes to read who's staying here for longer?:jap:

Edited by sirchai

Good. The day Thais [god love them] build a nuclear reactor in Thailand, then it is time for me to re-think my living here.

If you make an Assumption that something is true or will happen, you accept that it is true or will happen, often without any real proof.:jap:

Haha! 80% of Thais can't count to 10!;; What would you expect from such a backward society! They have a better chance of getting cancer from cell phones than from nuclear radiation, but ask them whether they will give up their cell phones! Despite all the problems in Japan the world powers are not going to be giving up nuclear power.

Wow that's one of the most short sighted posts I have ever read. Cancer from cell phones has never been confirmed by any research. And then there is nuclear radiation. Dude, you gotta update your facts juuuust a little bit. ;)

Sunlight is abundant in Thailand so the people are right when they reject nuclear power. Solar, wind and, possibly more abundant, tidal energy are all enough to power this country and even allow to export energy as well. It is really unbelievable that this worlds keeps using unsustainable energy sources that also (appear to) harm the environment. But every private person can start by putting solar panels to cover their usage. It takes about 10 years to earn them back, probably shorter with rising energy costs, and the decades after your electricity is FREE. And a little trick: stay connected to the grid so you can deliver excessive power during the day that you might consume again at night time, essentially using the grid as a very efficient battery. And yes, that analog meter WILL rotate backward during the day!

Edited by AgentSmith

Please Assumption give us a break. Wasn't it your institution that made a research that girls won't have sex on Valentine's?

Was it not you that disproved this while visiting Lolita bar on same Valentines Day? Good research work.

Did you ask the Thai staff working for you, or some homeless?

Fact is that more than 80% of Thais don't know what a nuclear power plant really is. Try to explain how a microwave oven works and you'll know what they don't know.

But you come up with weird studies about things you don't really know much about, right?

Please can't you come up with a serious research instead of BS which nobody likes to read who's staying here for longer?:jap:

Precisely, abac should conduct research at venues many expats conduct theirs

Sunlight is abundant in Thailand so the people are right when they reject nuclear power. Solar, wind and, possibly more abundant, tidal energy are all enough to power this country and even allow to export energy as well.

Sunlight is a lot less abundant than you think because of cloud cover and seasonal monsoons. The high tech solar panel cells required to produce that much electricity are still very expensive as well. A project like this might not see returns for decades if ever. Plus it requires all sorts of maintenance.

The best "alternative" is nuclear and that's extremely risky in a country like Thailand. It's like letting children play with the stove.