Anyone Recommend Some Decent Tailors In Bangkok

phuketnick

i have no direct experience but i know of a couple of people who use Pinky down at the end of Mahutan Plaza (Ploenchit station ,its just past la monita). According to them he is,bar none, the best in Bangkok. There are no touts or tuk tuks outside his shop but whenever i pass (at least once a day) its always busy in there, often with 3 or 4 customers waiting.

Edited by wordchild

Good point about touts. Always avoid any tailor (or any other establishment) that has to pay people to wait outside their shop and try and get customers to come inside. Also anywhere that tries to give you a hard sell when you go in and look around should be avoided.

Try JACKIES been running for 35 years family business, refreshingly honest, great personal service, fluent English, no hard sell, corner soi 9 sukhumvit. They PERSONALLY deliver to Europe and Asia. never had unpleasent deal with them for 10 yrs. ask for Niky or Aman tell them the doctor sent cha

My recommendation is off the beaten track (i.e. Sukhumwit), and with good reason. Go to Saphin Taksin and head up past Robinsons and be swamped by dozens of tailors. But only one there really is a tailor (I think).

The OP wants a tailor, not a 'tailor'. He wants somone who will chalk up the suit, that on the first fitting still will not have arms. He wants to see the tailor cutting the cloth in the shop. A real tailor.

Victor Tailor is here:

post-60541-0-49104300-1306421142_thumb.j

Mr Victor is not a salesman by nature. His style is an anti-salesman. He appears to forget that he wants to sell you a suit. You might have to persuade him you want to buy one.

I had him on recommendation and my demands were high. I wanted a 1930s style suit with the fishtail back, and inner buttons for braces. I wanted a very certain type of fit. I provided 4 pages of drawings for just one suit to show him want I wanted. When I saw the jacket, waistcoat, trousers on first fitting I had a rush of exhilaration it was just so good.

A picture of a fishtail back (unrelated to my recommendation but you might want one too):

post-60541-0-62323500-1306421672_thumb.j

The price? It was not negotiable. The complex cashmere suit came in around 9,000 baht and the wacky suit came in at 1,900 baht.

For amusement only please see the picture of wacky suit (the second suit I requested):

post-60541-0-26891500-1306421494_thumb.j

Suitably Mr Victor has no internet homepage and does not use e-mail. This is old school. All credit to him.

Try this one Facebook: S TWENTY-6...They do both fashion and standard styles. The shop is in the Sam Sen...which isn't far from Khao san but it's not one of those "hey bro, where you from..you want a cheap suit bla bla blah" types -- annoying. Good cutting and very reasonable prices (given that the location isn't Sukhumvit or Silom so I guess no high prices added). I got one blazer there and have recommended a few of my friends to go there....and they seem quite happy with their job.

• 2 weeks later...

depending on the fabric,

you will not get shirts in pure cotton for 500,

(unless you buy off the rack from a cheap outlet place)

That's why I said 500-1000. If you want pure cotton you pay the upper end of the range. If you want poly-cotton you pay the lower end. No need to go to a cheap outlet place though. Plenty of Suk tailors will make you a poly-cotton shirt for 500 baht. The point was, 5000 baht for 5 is definitely not some special deal, regardless of the material. Sorry to spoil your free advert.

I agree with you on that, 5000thb would be way too much. (way too much!) Although I think that 500-1000thb is more in the polyester blend range. For 1000thb you might get a cheaper quality, low thread count, cotton shirt (though I don't know too many places that would do that!) For a nice quality 100% cotton shirt I think you are looking at 1400-2500thb.

• 2 weeks later...

The price? It was not negotiable. The complex cashmere suit came in around 9,000 baht

I'd suggest it would be impossible to get a pure cashmere suit in LoS for less than 100 000.

It would probably be more in the 120 - 140 000 baht range.

Just wondering how it really is? For that money you can get top quality suits in the "west".

Was thinking about buying some shirts but they also seem to be cheaper in farangland. I don't need them to be tailored as I'm very standard in body shape.

For a nice quality 100% cotton shirt I think you are looking at 1400-2500thb.

Just wondering how it really is? For that money you can get top quality suits in the "west".

Was thinking about buying some shirts but they also seem to be cheaper in farangland. I don't need them to be tailored as I'm very standard in body shape.

For a nice quality 100% cotton shirt I think you are looking at 1400-2500thb.

The beauty of getting a tailored shirt is that it fits you perfectly (in your case it doesn't need to be tailored) also you get a huge range of choice. Basically the tailors can customize every aspect of the shirt from contrast stitching, to buttons, to collar types and so on. There is also a much larger fabric selection that you wouldn't get in a shop. There is a certain satisfaction to having something made personally for you and at Bangkok prices it is certainly affordable.

The other thing to factor in is the level of quality. If you paid for an equivalent level of quality (i.e great fabric, mother of pearl buttons etc) you would have to go for a branded shirt and they are not cheaper than a tailored shirt in Bangkok! Obviously some people just want a plain blue shirt and have no problem with the fit then maybe its not such an attractive thing to do!

Edited by Menty

Hi,

All the shirts and suits are made in the big Bangkok sweatshops, so it makes sense to go to a tailorshop that knows how to measure and has quality fabric.

I've tried many over the last ten years, but keep going back to a place on sukhumvit soi 11/1. It's called Designers Collections. Recommended.

GFL.

Everyone has a different recommendation for a tailor in Bangkok. I guess the big factors to consider are:

1. Price-what are the prices for a shirt/suit etc?

2. Quality-What exactly do you get for your money?

3. Service-What is the service like? Do they understand exactly what you want, are they pushy, is it a pleasant experience?

4. Location-where are they located? Can you get to them easily?

Based on this what are your recommendations?