bolx

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Such a kafuffle over a packet of biscuits, honestly! Are these Ginger snaps not flavoured by powdered ginger and nutmeg, and perhaps also little 'ginger' in colour? If yes, then perhaps the name for these tasty snacks is rather apt, wouldn't you say?

I tucked into a delicious packet of Jesus cookies over the Christmas holidays, yet going by this wave of hypersensitivity regarding political correctness, I wouldn’t mind betting that some in society might consider biting into a figurine of the bearded chap is nothing short of blasphemous!

Ginger haired people are often nicknamed affectionately as Ginger. In fact my grandmother was a redhead and was known to all the grandkids and great grandchildren as Nana Ginge until she died at age 88.

Blond haired people are often affectionately nicknamed Blondie and curly haired people as Curly. Maybe I'm missing something here and failed to latch on to the more serious side of this thread?

If having ginger knackers is the biggest problem in a bloke's life, then one can't help but think he's in pretty good shape overall. If our red-headed (can i say that!), friend is still able to achieve that 3 second sweet stab of agony when he needs it most, then perhaps he should be proud of his copper knob, and not ashamed of it!

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

To be serious, and this won't last long. I think there is a different level or perception of racism here, as well as, a difference in what is considered politically correct.

There is the acknowledgment of the difference. You have dark skin, he has light skin, I have slanted eyes...etc. And there is also the gravitation towards the people that they feel comfortable with for what ever reason. This is in effect racism, but to a different degree.

Is it? I don't think that is racism, I think its about gravitating towards people that you are comfortable with. Most people will marry someone from their own ethnic group.

Thailand is not known to have race riots between any races, or hatred in their hearts for someone they do not know because of their skin color.

Not hatred, but clearly light skin is thought as better than dark skin.

Blacks were not shipped here to be bread as slaves. I think we all agree that this is not the best of circumstances, but I believe that this is a far better circumstance than growing up and living in America as a black, latino, asian.

Seems like they do better here than we did back home. Why try to change something that works better than what we have?

Thailand is mostly a homogeneous country, there are some indigenous black Thai's but they are few between so there isn't going to be any race riots, if its massively racist here I would have thought that its better to be black and living in America rather than here especially as racist products are less tolerated in America.

Explore it for yourself. Maybe you'll come to a different conclusion.

It shouldn't take long to come to the SAME conclusion

Well I was aware that Thailand has a lot of racism as other Asian countries do, I'm just not sure how racist they are compared to other Asian countries. I remember watching a boxing match on TV in Philippines between a Filipino and a Thai, the Filipino knocked the Thai out and the Thai's really give the Filipino a good ovation.

For Thai only sign can be construed as racist, charging foreigners more, racist?

Not always. It depends. If it's a Thai national "discount" usually not; if its anyone who doesn't look kind of Asian pays more, well, yes. That's discrimination based on racial appearance and yes that's a kind of racism. It isn't lynching though.

Edited by Jingthing

For Thai only sign can be construed as racist, charging foreigners more, racist?

Not always. It depends. If it's a Thai national "discount" usually not; if its anyone who doesn't look kind of Asian pays more, well, yes. That's discrimination based on racial appearance and yes that's a kind of racism. It isn't lynching though.

Isn't just the perception that foreigners have much more money that your average Thai, so should pay more?

Not as much as you seem to think. Thais see differences that perhaps you do not.

Perhaps. Wiki says there are about 2 million foreigners here.

Hi <Jackers>

Can I just ask how long you have been living in Thailand, or anywhere else in Asia for that matter, and your home country? This would assist me in seeing where you are coming from.

If you have already informed of this, then I apologise.

Many thanks

Not as much as you seem to think. Thais see differences that perhaps you do not.

Perhaps. Wiki says there are about 2 million foreigners here.

Hi <Jackers>

Can I just ask how long you have been living in Thailand, or anywhere else in Asia for that matter, and your home country? This would assist me in seeing where you are coming from.

If you have already informed of this, then I apologise.

Many thanks

This is around my 3rd week in Thailand, I spent 10 months in Philippines, 2 months in Nepal, 5 months in India and a couple of days in Malaysia.

Isn't just the perception that foreigners have much more money that your average Thai, so should pay more?

So the Thai who shows up in the Benz also pays the foreign price?

Oh, only here three weeks. Enjoy the honeymoon.

Edited by Jingthing

Perhaps not but I find it difficult to believe that if that Thai shows in a Benz everywhere that no one would try charging that Thai a higher price for something.

Focusing on minutiae here. Get back to us after you live here awhile, if you do that. Prices are only a symptom, not even close to the whole enchilada.

Like I said before you may come to different conclusions, but any conclusions made on a first holiday will likely lack depth, unless you are unusually perceptive.

Edited by Jingthing

Thailand is mostly a homogeneous country,

I lived in Costa Rica for a while. If you were a small dark girl it would be not uncommon that people might call you "negrita". or if a fat boy "gordito". Nothing racist in it at all. Strictly observational catagorisms with absolutely no ill will intended whatsoever. Maybe Thais are more like that than we tend to appreciate?

Pt 1 - I think we're never going to agree on what is and is not racism. The only thing I can point out is there are certain microcausm in thailand and many other parts of the worl where certain races congregate. Chinatown/K-Town, Little Italy...etc, etc. The same is true here, on a more micro scale. There is of course Chinatown(Wororot), there are the hilltribe villages, the various western pubs, clubs, etc.

- another test, how many thai friends have you made and how many non-thai friends have you made since you've been here. Language is an issue, but there are a vast many thais that have a basic command of english.

Pt2 - You're right, there is a definite preference for lighter skin. I think that comes from two things that don't necessarily concern race. 1 is wealth. A wealthy person and family wold not be dark because they would not have spent the time in the sun toiling for a meager wage. 2 - Pop culture from Korea and Japan. The Northeast asians have fairer skin, and because of its current popularity most kids want to be as light/pretty/rich etc.

Pt3 - There are no indigenous black Thais.

Your assumption that it is homogeneous is racist. Do we all look alike to you??? You are lumping us all in your mind's eye as Asian or simply Thai.

As you get into the culture a little bit more, you realize that its not homogenious at all. You'll hear more and more about that different hilltribes, the Shan's/Tai Yai, Burmese, etc. they still go by class levels determined by which race they were born into. This will follow the rest of their lives in where they can work, what level of wages they command, to what kind of government acknowledgement they get. . In the mornings, driving down certain roads you will see people on the side of the streets waiting to be picked up for work for the day. As a new arrival, you assume that they are Thai. They are not and are not treated as such either.

Just out of curiosity, what race do you consider yourself?

To be serious, and this won't last long. I think there is a different level or perception of racism here, as well as, a difference in what is considered politically correct.

There is the acknowledgment of the difference. You have dark skin, he has light skin, I have slanted eyes...etc. And there is also the gravitation towards the people that they feel comfortable with for what ever reason. This is in effect racism, but to a different degree.

Is it? I don't think that is racism, I think its about gravitating towards people that you are comfortable with. Most people will marry someone from their own ethnic group.

Thailand is not known to have race riots between any races, or hatred in their hearts for someone they do not know because of their skin color.

Not hatred, but clearly light skin is thought as better than dark skin.

Blacks were not shipped here to be bread as slaves. I think we all agree that this is not the best of circumstances, but I believe that this is a far better circumstance than growing up and living in America as a black, latino, asian.

Seems like they do better here than we did back home. Why try to change something that works better than what we have?

Thailand is mostly a homogeneous country, there are some indigenous black Thai's but they are few between so there isn't going to be any race riots, if its massively racist here I would have thought that its better to be black and living in America rather than here especially as racist products are less tolerated in America.

I don't know if I will think differently if I stay a long time, my first impressions of Chiang Mai hasn't changed.

I'm talking years. Yes they will. Bet the house on that one.

I'm not going to be living here ofor years but I will back. So wnat else is there apart from prices?

You're going to be surprised. Rich Thai's are held with such reverence. Rather then paying more, they may get in for free. This is much like back at home....

Perhaps not but I find it difficult to believe that if that Thai shows in a Benz everywhere that no one would try charging that Thai a higher price for something.

Pt2 - You're right, there is a definite preference for lighter skin. I think that comes from two things that don't necessarily concern race. 1 is wealth. A wealthy person and family wold not be dark because they would not have spent the time in the sun toiling for a meager wage. 2 - Pop culture from Korea and Japan. The Northeast asians have fairer skin, and because of its current popularity most kids want to be as light/pretty/rich etc.

I know that explanation but I think it's definitely more than that to be honest.

Yes there is

pic-motherbaby.jpg

Chapter 2: Mani, People who look like Africans

http://www.andaman.o...er36/text36.htm

- another test, how many thai friends have youmade and how many non-thai friends have you made since you've been here. Language is an issue, but there are a vast many thais thathave a basic command of english.

We probably have a different definition of friendship.

Your assumption that it is homogeneous isracist. Do we all look alike to you??? Youare lumping us all in your mind's eye as Asian or simply Thai.

I said MOSTLY homogeneous.

Just out of curiosity, what race do you consideryourself?

Human.

Right now you are still effectively a tourist. Wait until you have settled down a bit before you start telling people they are wrong and that you already have all the answers after 3 weeks.

Right now you are still effectively a tourist. Wait until you have settled down a bit before you start telling people they are wrong and that you already have all the answers after 3 weeks.

I haven't said that I have all the answers, I've said that blackman cleaning products is racist, charging foreigners more is seen as racist, I'm not sure about that one. No more examples really given and just because someone lives here for years it doesn't necessarily mean that their opinion is fact.

I'm not gonna bite (on these gingered nuts), 'cause this one's loaded, just for fun, and it's so simple anyway. But I am gonna chime in here about one thing. For all the seasoned among us, come on, this country is far from homogenous ! Far far far ! There are over 30 ethnic groups living in Thailand. Try being a Hmong person born here but who still doesn't have paperwork because your parents always lived in the mountains and never managed to get theirs done, and then try getting into school or medical care. Try just being 'Thai' looking but giving away that you are Akha or Hmong with your accent and see how you are treated. And how about the Sea Gyspsies whose land was stolen from them after the tsunami to make way for more luxury hotels ? Like they had rights here before anyway.....

It's even sad, but although this country celebrates it's mix and alleged homogeneity all at the same time, you'll often find some people from distinct regions forbidding their kids to learn the local language as they want their offspring to sound like the proper people of BKK.

Oh no, it's almost like I have bitten. The ginger snaps elbowing sure has found some live ones.

1 You're probably right it has grown into another thing of its own, but still don't think its racially based

2. NO, you did not read the explanation of the sight.

Thai Mani speak the Aslian Tonga' language (they really are Semang living in Thailand, the differences are not great and Tonga' is closely related to the Semang language)- the Malaysian Semang are the "classical" Malaysian Negrito and speak a variety of different Aslian languages

I know that explanation but I think it's definitely more than that to be honest.

Yes there is

pic-motherbaby.jpg

Chapter 2: Mani, People who look like Africans

http://www.andaman.o...er36/text36.htm