Places To Donate Unwanted Items

kunjet

i'm looking for charities that accept usable but unwanted clothing and household items in bangkok, preferably one that will pick up as well

i live in the ratchathewi area

please note that i am buddhist and prefer not to donate to christian groups

That's a bit unfair considering all other religions that contribute to the many people that require charity here - Buddhist!!

If you only want to give to your own religion, go to a temple - they are the big buildings with lots of bald men wearing orange coloured robes ( some even have cell phones and Ray Ban sunglasses nowadays )

JH

"please note that i am buddhist and prefer not to donate to christian groups "

What? are you kidding?

Why not do not to any worth while group?

Why is he not entitled to his opinion. Im pretty sure most Christians would not donate to Muslims either.

Sisters of the Good Shepard, excellent charity, looks after the deprived and needy (mainly very young mothers and their children) regardless of religion, they have a shop on Soi 33, called Fatima where you can donate, or you can donate directly to the centre 4128/1 Asoke Din Daeng Road, if you have a lot of stuff they may well be able to pick up, give them a call on 02-245 0547

What? are you kidding?

Why is he not entitled to his opinion. Im pretty sure most Christians would not donate to Muslims either.

True of course, however the OP's stricture on who he will or will not Donate to strikes me as a distincly "un-Buddhist" attitude.

Patrick

Father Joe is running a great place in Bangkok. He help with young kids and help people with HIV/AIDS.

While his movement is Christian, I hope you would see above that and donate to whoever needs help. These epopel truly need it.

Thanks.

Ps. I dream of a world without religion where this non sense would have no place

What? are you kidding?

True of course, however the OP's stricture on who he will or will not Donate to strikes me as a distincly "un-Buddhist" attitude.

Patrick

Agree. Can't help thinking we have been had by the OP. It is one thing to want to donate to a church/temple of your choosing but to discriminate against helping the needy is neither main stream Christian or Buddhist and actually would seem anti Christian or Buddhist.

Edited by Nisa

It's his stuff. Let the man decide what he wants to do with them shall we? :)

I'm sure everyone has their own preference on how to do things including which charity to donate to. Some prefer charities by location, some by the purpose of the charities, etc. based on our own beliefs and values if for some their religious faiths is part of the equation - Why should we question that?

Anyhow to bring things back on topic - google for 'wat suankaew'

It's a temple that accepts all sorts of unwanted items. Clothes, furniture, electronics etc. Even the non functioning ones. The temple runs a school (a workshop where people get lessons in carpentary, electronics and other repairs.)

Restored items are then sold, and money used for charity. So your donation serves double purpose - the short term charity, but also long term gives people skills that will help

them throughout their lives.

They do pick up when there's a lot of stuff or there are big items. Not sure about small amounts but call them to check. Could take a while before their truck or pick up is available to come to your area though.

Cheers

Anyhow to bring things back on topic - google for 'wat suankaew'

Seconded for Wat Suan Kaew. Great way to dispose of stuff that might still be useful to someone.

Also- if you are looking for the ultimate garage / junk sale in Bangkok, the wat itself is worth the trip!