Fiesta V Mazda 2

I can't make up my mind whether to buy the New Ford Fiesta or the new Mazda 2.

There is not much difference in pricing, Fiesta's normally don't come with free insurance but I understand that if you buy at the Motor show you can get it.

Also with the Fiesta you can't personalise it that much, there are plenty of body kit mods for the Mazda, but none that I can see with the Fiesta, it does not have a visible exhaust from what I can see , so that can't be modified, or maybe it can at a cost.

Having said that the Fiesta looks really good, has a great gearbox and excellent MPG.

I had a Fiesta back in the UK when I was about 25 years younger, so I have an affiliation with it, but having said that I have also owned an MX5 and an MX 3, both great cars.

But as the Fiesta is relatively new I worry about teething troubles.

The other question is Leather, I don't see the option available with either cars, but maybe someone knows different?

So any assistance from people with experience in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TP

Thank

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi TP,

Long time no chat, hope all is well with you. I test drove a Fiesta 1.6 the other day, unfortunately it was automatic, would have preferred a manual but you can't always get what you want. I think the 1.6 comes with leather seats, and is a little bit pricier that the Mazda 2, badged as the Fiesta 2. Wasn't the fiesta 1.6 known as the XR2 a couple of decades ago? Am also looking at the Honda civic 1.8 manual and will test drive that before making a decision. Hope all goes well for you.

Regards

Mickmac

There is no clear winner; both top-end options have similar price/equipment, they share the same platform and originate from the same design four years ago. Each car has specific attributes which will appeal to different motorists. If you'd like a more comfort-oriented car with six-speed manual transmission and larger cargo area then go with the Fiesta while the Mazda 2 has a more modern, weight-saving design, it's sportier ; no leather option I'm aware of but the Fiesta 4Dr 1.6 Sport does have, if that swings it for you.

Hi TP,

Long time no chat, hope all is well with you. I test drove a Fiesta 1.6 the other day, unfortunately it was automatic, would have preferred a manual but you can't always get what you want. I think the 1.6 comes with leather seats, and is a little bit pricier that the Mazda 2, badged as the Fiesta 2. Wasn't the fiesta 1.6 known as the XR2 a couple of decades ago? Am also looking at the Honda civic 1.8 manual and will test drive that before making a decision. Hope all goes well for you.

Regards

Mickmac

Hi Mickmac,

good to hear from you.

For me auto is good as my Wife dooes not have a license for manual, yep they did make an XR2 Fiesta, but it was beyond my finacial capabilities then.

I know that Mazda can get leather seats fitted ,but it has to be done off site, so you are already paying for the originals, so I fear it will be an expensive option.

Take care mate, hope to see you around one of these days

I've been looking at both (and other small cars) and in my view the Fiesta has the better interior and looks less 'girly' than the Mazda .... but in the end I reckon a Honda Jazz is the better option if you want a 5 door. It's slightly bigger and the resale prices seem to be better.

I've been looking at both (and other small cars) and in my view the Fiesta has the better interior and looks less 'girly' than the Mazda .... but in the end I reckon a Honda Jazz is the better option if you want a 5 door. It's slightly bigger and the resale prices seem to be better.

Hi TP,

Hope all is well with you, hopefully will catch up one day soon. Familyonthemove makes a good point re: resale values, as I feel that Ford will depreciate a lot more than the Honda over the same time period. What about the Nissan Tiilda, they are quite roomy and up to 1.8 engine as well?

Regards

Mickmac

PS. Look at comments on Fiesta Sport 1.6 further down this forum, might be of interest.

Edited by mickmac

We bought the Ford....being a GM guy my whole life it was tuff, but it is far better package than the Mazda or Jazz...and after the bailout I will never buy another new GM product.

I know the Mazda 2 and Fiesta are supposed to be very similar but the Fiesta is much higher spec in some areas.

My only concern long term will be the 6 speed DCT, not so great in traffic, some people here in the states have had issues and Ford has been replacing them, but hopefully they will be robust. The engine is a Mazda unit I guess so should be good, the rest of the car is more Euro Ford than US so the styling and ride are really quite nice.

Also, there is already a body kit for the Fiesta in Thailand, I think it is like 10,000 baht, I talked to a new owner who had it on his car, looked good, here in the US you can get a 3D carbon kit even as a option from the dealer. There is lots of aftermarket support for this car popping up, thinking about getting the Ford Racing suspension kit for ours, it is ridiculously cheap for what you get, lowers the car just a bit and retains the very smooth, quite ride while improving handling a bit.

We got the 5 door S, no leather option, you can get leather on the sedan from the factory...makes no sense, but none of the car stuff does in LOS. :lol:

After test driving the Fiesta I thought I was sold on it, looks are stylish, leather is an option at 18k.

Service intervals are high and even though I was not driving the top of the line model it was pretty rapid.

So I thought definatley the Fiesta.

Then went to Mazda just to show a mate of mine the difference.

Not as rapid as the Ford, but way more comfortable, sounds dead quiet, plus pop round the corner to Max Auto and they can put a body kit on for 16k, no body kit available for Fiesta.

Mazda do offer leather at 25k , but I am sure if I were to buy I could negotiate that down to the same as the Ford.

There seemed more room in the back seats of the Mazda, whist the Ford was cramped, Ford has voice activation for the cd , radio and temperature, but I wonder in rality if I would use them?

No visible exhaust system on the Ford which is a negative for me.

Gears on the Mazda, way easier to handle than the Ford. The Ford's P, D, R indicators on the transmission are designed for left hand drive cars, so consequently you cant see them, which I thought was a downside..

Price wise, not much difference, the top of the range Ford is coming out at present at Bangkok Motor Show prices , so top end is 715,000 B includes insurance and small body kit (side skirt and front lip)

The Mazda Spirit is 640,000, has a lower spec than the Ford but IMHO handles better, and with the body kit, and leather interior costs less than the Ford.

Which car will hold its value best is a question I don't know the answer to.

So presently I am undecided, but leaning towards Mazda, a friend of mine used to have Focus and he said the build quality was poor with bits constantly falling off like interior knobs and gadgets, I've not heard anything like that about Mazdas and had no problems with the two I owned in the UK not more than 15 and 13 years ago.

Decsions , decsions :(

it does not have a visible exhaust from what I can see

No visable exhausts what about the 2 in the front grill!! when ever I see this car I always say why would they have exhausts in the grill..

I have the Mazda 2 and have no problems with it, great to drive and can be modified into a great looking car, Saw a Fiesta with a Carbon Kevlar bonnet and for me it did not look right but still a nice car.

A few pictures of my Mazda which I think looks far better than the Fiesta but everyones different..

As for price I paid 615,000 for the Spirit but you say 640,000 seems Phuket is cheaper than Bangkok!!!

Edited by kenny999

No visable exhausts what about the 2 in the front grill!! when ever I see this car I always say why would they have exhausts in the grill..

I have the Mazda 2 and have no problems with it, great to drive and can be modified into a great looking car, Saw a Fiesta with a Carbon Kevlar bonnet and for me it did not look right but still a nice car.

A few pictures of my Mazda which I think looks far better than the Fiesta but everyones different..

As for price I paid 615,000 for the Spirit but you say 640,000 seems Phuket is cheaper than Bangkok!!!

I am wrong, it is 615, looked at the wrong car.

The thing with the Ford is really "What you see is what you get" there are not the options to customise like you have done brilliantly with your car.

Cheers TP

When we spoke you told me how good yours sounded with the bigger exhaust. Well with the Fiesta you have to get whole new exhaust fitted just to see the pipes, and thats a downside IMO.

Not at all sure why someone would only buy a car if they can see the exhaust pipe........

Of course this maybe a good thing, you could get 2 or 4 dummy pipes fitted, so not seeing the working one would be much better.. a Fiesta with twin exhaust pipes each side would look different.

Not at all sure why someone would only buy a car if they can see the exhaust pipe........

Of course this maybe a good thing, you could get 2 or 4 dummy pipes fitted, so not seeing the working one would be much better.. a Fiesta with twin exhaust pipes each side would look different.

different people like different things, looks are important to me so seeing the exhaust and making sure it looks right is again important but to many it does not matter,

FWIW

I don't know about the Mazda 2, but the Fiesta comes with an heater.

Never thought I would need that in Thailand, so when I bought my Yaris I did not think about it.

Having to put on the aircon to clear the windows from condensation when it's cold is not very comfortable.

different people like different things, looks are important to me so seeing the exhaust and making sure it looks right is again important but to many it does not matter,

If not now sure there will be after market items soon..

Malaysia has, of course UK has lots + different types

Pic from Malaysia

post-42643-0-27057200-1301363396_thumb.j

Has twin exhaust

Edited by ignis

If not now sure there will be after market items soon..

Malaysia has, of course UK has lots + different types

Pic from Malaysia

post-42643-0-27057200-1301363396_thumb.j

Has twin exhaust

Looks good, any car can be modified it just depends on how far you want to go and what is available..

Noone has mentioned fuel consumption - fiesta supposedly has best FC in class, but not sure about the mazda 2.

As for mods for the fiesta, most would be sourced from the UK, unless they develop the market in the US where they also have the car. Body kits would come alone soon enough in Thailand.

In the UK they also have companies (montune?) which make performance parts for the engine intake,exhaust, ecu) for 20+ hp. Nothing here though yet.

Telling you, the body kits are already out in Thailand, you will just have to search them out, I just happened to roll up to a Shell station where a Thai guy had just bought a Trend 5 door and had one fitted, he said it was 10,000 B for the kit, not sure how much for paint and install...it looked good.

There will be lots of modding on this car trust me, it already has a big following in the states, and on the exhaust even Ford racing sells one here:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12440

One thing that does suck, is that oddly the Thai and Malaysian models run a 4x100 bolt pattern (same as Mazda2) instead of 4x108 so i can not bolt on the US model 16 and 17" wheels...

The thing with the Ford is really "What you see is what you get" there are not the options to customise like you have done brilliantly with your car.

Sure there is, not only is it likely that a Mazda kit would fit it with a bit of modification but all he has done with his car is put in some gauges and some new rims so far and lower it.. But there too anything that will fit the Mazda in terms of suspension is also likely to be able to apply to the Fiesta too..

Not sure what you're saying about the exhaust :huh: ??

Sure there is, not only is it likely that a Mazda kit would fit it with a bit of modification but all he has done with his car is put in some gauges and some new rims so far and lower it.. But there too anything that will fit the Mazda in terms of suspension is also likely to be able to apply to the Fiesta too..

Definition of modification... something that has been added to a car from standard..(so yes that is all I have done so far to my car which is what modification's are all about) so you think a body kit made for a Mazda will fit the Fiesta what drugs are you on? and I doubt suspension made for the mazda would fit the Fiesta but then maybe you are an engineer and know different.. as for the Fiesta in my opinion it looks like there are exhaust opening's in the front grill which in my opinion does not look good.

Kenny don't feed WSpeed ego he will just come back with a heap of B/shit and go on and on.

Cheers John I just can not resist sometimes, car show today at Home Works will go and see some cars with some extra bits on lol maybe even a Fiesta with exhaust opening's in the front bumper lol

Definition of modification... something that has been added to a car from standard..(so yes that is all I have done so far to my car which is what modification's are all about) so you think a body kit made for a Mazda will fit the Fiesta what drugs are you on? and I doubt suspension made for the mazda would fit the Fiesta but then maybe you are an engineer and know different.. as for the Fiesta in my opinion it looks like there are exhaust opening's in the front grill which in my opinion does not look good.

Yes I'm on caffeine but not enough to effect my cognitive thinking how about you? I am an engineer and yes virtually ANY body kit can be altered and modified so one that is comparative close to the same body style such as this certainly could be TIT..

Kenny don't feed WSpeed ego he will just come back with a heap of B/shit and go on and on.

WhoTF are you? Feed my ego??? :cheesy: :cheesy: :jerk: Nice worthless contribution, nothing of value so go back to the ladies forum where you obviously belong, wanke_r :jerk:..

WhoTF are you? Feed my ego??? :cheesy: :cheesy: :jerk: Nice worthless contribution, nothing of value so go back to the ladies forum where you obviously belong, wanke_r :jerk:..

Realy don't think there is any need to call people names/

Yes I'm on caffeine but not enough to effect my cognitive thinking how about you? I am an engineer and yes virtually ANY body kit can be altered and modified so one that is comparative close to the same body style such as this certainly could be TIT..

Have you just called me a TIT lol key board hero now springs into my mind ha ha

Edited by kenny999

Realy don't think there is any need to call people names/

You have been found out yet again Warps. Time for you to re-coup and re-think your forum strategy eh. :rolleyes: