Commercial Import Calculations

Anyone help with this, since I'm a tad confused. It appears looking at the website that VAT is charged by Thai Customs on the CIF + duty + [sundries] figure. Is that correct?

We are considering bringing in products which fall under the 30% [cosmetics] band, so this apparent tax on a tax is not insignificant.

Is this correct?

Are there other issues we should be considering on this?

Regards & TIA

Spelling edit

Edited by A_Traveller

Yes the VAT is calculated on the CIF-value + customs duty + sundries. What to consider besides that? I dont know if YOU know but

there will be additional arriving costs here in Bangkok, which is being debited by the shipping line.

In order to identify these charges, the best idea is to decide at the calculation-time what shippingline to use for your transports and ask them how much, as it is different between the different shipping lines.

Glegolo

To get the record straight...

VAT is Value Added Tax. The duties add value, hence they are taxed with VAT.

Not sure what the "sundries" are. There are no other values subject to duties (and subsequently VAT) than the CIF value.

AFTER the duties, a D/O fee has to be paid to the shipping line. This usually includes the THC, container cleaning etc. and as far as I know this is in Thailand the same for all liners. As those charges occur in Thailand, they are also subject to VAT.

Thank you for the above.

As to sundries on the Royal Thai Customs site there are items listed such as Excise, Fees, Interior tax and possibly infamous 'surcharges'. Is there an easy to obtain customs listing, I'm assuming [Danger Will Robinson!] that cosmetics are not excisable items. As to modalities these shipments would by air.

Regards

Link to RTC site Sample Calculations