Mortons Tenderquick Salt

mark45y

• 2 weeks later...

You could buy my smoker - it comes with 3lbs. of tenderquick and 6lbs. of Mortons brown sugar cure.

Where do you buy one of them in thailand :rolleyes:

Do you mean the smoker ? I bought it from a friend who had it made here and got too old to use it. I have never seen another one in Thailand

The tenderquick ? I brought it from the states.

I am going back to the states for an extended period so I'm selling most of my stuff.

I put an add in the classifieds:

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/miscellaneous/others/make-your-own-bacon-sausages-jerky-etc-96896.html

Can someone explain exactly what Mortons Tenderquick Salt is?

I've done a lot of Charcuterie throughout my culinary career, but have always used salt petre (pink salt) mixed with rock salt or ready mixed nitrate salts. Mortons is obviously an American thing as I never came across it in Europe. After first hearing about it on forums like this I presumed it was just a named nitrate salt mix, but at 950 baht/kg it's a lot more expensive than the un-branded nitrate salt I use here, so I'm guessing there's something else to it.

Whats in it? What's the difference between using a ready mixed nitrate salt versus Mortons Tenderquick?

You could buy my smoker - it comes with 3lbs. of tenderquick and 6lbs. of Mortons brown sugar cure.

Do you mean the smoker ? I bought it from a friend who had it made here and got too old to use it. I have never seen another one in Thailand

I am going back to the states for an extended period so I'm selling most of my stuff.

http://classifieds.t...-etc-96896.html

Could it all be transported to Surin the Issan one ?? the whole kit and kaboodle.

Thanks, but I've looked at these beforehand. From the website it looks to me like it is just nitrate salt with sugar already mixed in.

But what I'm wondering is why people use it over nitrate salt and a little sugar. I understand a lot of people are warry of using salt petre (even though with a pair of scales and a little common sense it's simple), but since discovering on this thread the cost of it over unbranded nitrate salt, I'm wondering what the advantages are. Or is it just a brand that everyone in the States knows and trusts?

If anyone has used Mortons, I am generally interested in knowing whether there are advantages in using Morton's. Does it cure faster than a traditional mix? It is called Tenderquick after all!

To me one of the joys of curing your own meats is to play around with the ingrediants and I find that the type of sugar used makes a huge difference, so wouldn't really want to use a cure thats already got sugar mixed in - I've been getting some great results with making Pancetta using the very dark unrefind Thai sugar recently.

But if there are advantages to using Morton's I'd like to know and maybe try it out myself at somepoint.

TruValue in Bangkok has a Weber Smokey Mountain (google it, google can ne your friend ;) ) but it's sadly 31,000 baht :o . So I'm sure it's cheaper to get one made or just buy Redneck's.

Also, they're not hard to make out of an old fridge. I keep thinking about making one myself, but I can hot smoke on my bbq as well as I require and this style of smoker is no good for cold smoking. I really want to be able to cold smoke but that's not so easy to do at home, especially in this heat!

http://classifieds.t...-etc-96896.html

Could it all be transported to Surin the Issan one ?? the whole kit and kaboodle.

Sure anything can be shipped.. I had a honda wave mailed at the post office from Phetchabun to Chiang Mai for 900 baht. Only in Thailand !!

TruValue in Bangkok has a Weber Smokey Mountain (google it, google can ne your friend ;) ) but it's sadly 31,000 baht :o . So I'm sure it's cheaper to get one made or just buy Redneck's.

Also, they're not hard to make out of an old fridge. I keep thinking about making one myself, but I can hot smoke on my bbq as well as I require and this style of smoker is no good for cold smoking. I really want to be able to cold smoke but that's not so easy to do at home, especially in this heat!

WOW 31,000... That makes mine sound like a steal especially with all the extras.

When I make bacon I keep the temp at about 125 - 130 and never had any complaints.

Back home we always considered it cold smoked if it was below 140 but I know some people think it shouldn't be over 100. I guess it's just personal preference.

WOW 31,000... That makes mine sound like a steal especially with all the extras.

When I make bacon I keep the temp at about 125 - 130 and never had any complaints.

Back home we always considered it cold smoked if it was below 140 but I know some people think it shouldn't be over 100. I guess it's just personal preference.

It does sound like a good deal. I'm tempted myself.

Cold smoking for me has always been under 100F/ 37C, preferablly lower though 80/90F is best, it depends on what your smoking to low it must be. But it's impressive that your smoker goes down to 125F, I've used a few smokers in the past similar to yours, both homemade and brand named and could never keep a temperature that low.

Have you smoked English style bacon in it? Although a properly cured piece of meat will be fine in it, at 125-130F/ 55C the bacon would be slow cooking not just smoking. Slow cooking at this temperature would produce some gorgeous meat, but would be no good for uncooked smoked English bacon or Smoked Salmon.

Building an attachment to a smoker like yours to get the temperature lower is easy enough, but when the outside temperature is hotter than I want to smoke at it becomes an issue.

Still, from the photos you get some great results hot smoking with it!

• 4 weeks later...