Car Rental - Suzuki Caribbean Or Similar

ozzydave

The Suzuki Caribean must surely be the most useless car ever to be produced. The fact they made it a 4X4 must have been done as a joke. Pay that little bit more and get a proper vehicle for your trips. My friend lent me one for a few days and it wouldn't make it up the mountain the house is on yet my small motorcycle whips up it with 2 people on :blink:

As said don't let a horrible car spoil your trip. :D

The Suzuki Caribean must surely be the most useless car ever to be produced. The fact they made it a 4X4 must have been done as a joke. Pay that little bit more and get a proper vehicle for your trips. My friend lent me one for a few days and it wouldn't make it up the mountain the house is on yet my small motorcycle whips up it with 2 people on :blink:

As said don't let a horrible car spoil your trip. :D

I guess it depends on what you are used to and what you want it for. It has been around for what, 25 years, and they are still going despite being hammered on the rental market. Uncomfortable cramped seats, underpowered, noisy and sluggish but they will get you through places a lot of cars wont albeit a bit slow. They are quite capable off road and as the OP has asked for AT tyres I guess that is where it might be used. You wont be getting a Range Rover on 700B a day.

I would agree with the previous post...

I rented one for a weekend trip to Chiang Dao... Thought it would be a cool jeep like experience...

It was not... The place (one by the moat) that I rented it from presented me with a beat up wreck!... The thing was 20 years old and the top gear was trashed so any speed above 50km made the whole thing whine and vibrate...

The guy at the rental agency also gave me a LIST of daily maintenance thing I has to do to make it keep running!

If you do it... It will give you lasting memories - but maybe not the best...

Thanks guys.

Its a mechanically sound and reliable vehicle capable of doing a little exploring I'm looking for. I've driven the mighty Suzuki before so I know what I am in for relating to power (although its a LONG way from the 380HP and 580NM I'm used to for 4x4 use).

Any other of the jap (preferably tubo diesel) 4x4 would OK if fitted with said tyres.

• 8 months later...

The Suzuki Caribean must surely be the most useless car ever to be produced. The fact they made it a 4X4 must have been done as a joke. Pay that little bit more and get a proper vehicle for your trips. My friend lent me one for a few days and it wouldn't make it up the mountain the house is on yet my small motorcycle whips up it with 2 people on blink.gif

As said don't let a horrible car spoil your trip. biggrin.gif

this car was top of the range 20 yrs ago in the 4x4 market

The Suzuki Caribean must surely be the most useless car ever to be produced. The fact they made it a 4X4 must have been done as a joke. Pay that little bit more and get a proper vehicle for your trips. My friend lent me one for a few days and it wouldn't make it up the mountain the house is on yet my small motorcycle whips up it with 2 people on blink.gif

As said don't let a horrible car spoil your trip. biggrin.gif

this car was top of the range 20 yrs ago in the 4x4 market

Absolutely. Lots of ignorant people ridiculed it because of its small size. But it was ultra simple, easy to modify and very reliable. You need to take it truly up shit's creek to appreciate it.

Yes, a lot of the ones left over at rental places are 1-2 decades old and not well maintained; that's not Suzuki's fault.

Getting back to the OP: April 17 is ultra dry season; it's unlikely you will need a 4x4; anything with some ground clearance will likely do. (But state the destination and then we can weigh in on that.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai