Briton Beaten To Death By Motorcycle Gang In Thailand

Buchholz

The 59-year-old from Basildon, who had been living in the country and working as a builder

i thought that 'occupation' was on the CANNOT do list for foreigners in Thailand...... unsure.gif

Perhaps he was a builder living in the country?

perhaps.. perhaps...

i'm going on the quote, if so then he was surely working in Thailand illegally (& yeah, i know about setting up a Thai company.. blah... blah.. employing Thai's... blah..)

but.. its much like the bar business, set up as Thai but often flauntingly out in view run by farang... I know this does piss of a lot of Thai's who see foreigners 'bending' theses rules...

motive for attack...?

I would have to assume he was not a builder unless they mean he ran a building company or designed buildings. Many of the builders (workers) I see in Thailand are from outside Thailand. So, it would seem to be a very low paying job.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought that 'occupation' was on the CANNOT do list for foreigners in Thailand...... unsure.gif

perhaps.. perhaps...

i'm going on the quote, if so then he was surely working in Thailand illegally (& yeah, i know about setting up a Thai company.. blah... blah.. employing Thai's... blah..)

but.. its much like the bar business, set up as Thai but often flauntingly out in view run by farang... I know this does piss of a lot of Thai's who see foreigners 'bending' theses rules...

motive for attack...?

unless they mean he ran a building company or designed buildings.

precisely the point i made in my reference to the bar business.. set up perfectly legally as a Thai business, but often overtly & in your face hands on at the counter run by a farang.. (instead of keeping the profile low)

in this guys case, that could transfer as to being seen locally tiling the odd roof, building the odd wall, laying the odd concrete drive... etc... (along with his Thai employees)

this i know for sure upsets a lot of Thai people who see their laws being abused in this way...

Edited by RoyHarsip

Hopefully someone who knows the story can add more info.

What I don't understand is why this story never surfaced in Thailand; only when family back in the UK report it to the press there. Almost like it was hushed up locally.

The 59-year-old from Basildon, who had been living in the country and working as a builder

perhaps.. perhaps...

motive for attack...?

Tinker tailor soldier spy, so what?

The fact is that this poor guy is dead and it could happen to anyone of us, at anytime. Perhaps Maybe he was a Thai visa member?

I always feel sad when I hear of these cases, especially for the families and close friends who have lost a nearest and dearest.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Jeez, does it matter if he was or wasn't a builder or where he was or wasn't building or not building or whatever? He's not going to be building anything anywhere now.

I think what really stirs people's blood about these stories - besides the frequency - are the following;

1. Thais don't care. Least of all the police.

2. Blame is often assigned to the deceased. "Should've known better," "Was probably a scum-bag" etc.

3. There was almost never a single assailant - always a group.

4. If anyone is arrested for it they receive a puny sentence.

5. The articles about the deaths are vague, confusing and incomplete.

But it's not like life has any value, right? We're just compost that hasn't figured it out yet. <_<

Who see WHAT ??? Their Laws ?! Here? 555555 !

errr.... yeah.. ....

When it comes to foreigners taking the piss out of red tape Thai legislation & living it large in the process, while most of them are on just a few hundred baht a day...!?! (if they're lucky)

in this 'local foreign owned business scenario', it only takes one arrogant farang to say the wrong word or behave displeasingly to one Thai.. & his downfall will be sealed.

no doubt about that. Seen it happen many times...!

5555 (i mean, hahahaha - or should that be lol ?!) - thats to you, not the deceased.. RIP

Edited by RoyHarsip

Who see WHAT ??? Their Laws ?! Here? 555555 !

errr.... yeah.. ....

When it comes to foreigners taking the piss out of red tape Thai legislation & living it large in the process, while most of them are on just a few hundred baht a day...!?! (if they're lucky)

in this 'local foreign owned business scenario', it only takes one arrogant farang to say the wrong word or behave displeasingly to one Thai.. & his downfall will be sealed.

no doubt about that. Seen it happen many times...!

5555 (i mean, hahahaha - or should that be lol ?!) - thats to you, not the deceased.. RIP

A grave mistake. not street smart enough.....

How about this; It was a confrontation between a motorcycle gang and a fellow that pissed them off? What do you think happens if you try to pass the Hells Angels or Satans Choice when they are blocking a road driving illegally two abreast? Not every crime is motivated because someone is a foreigner. Sometimes the victims are just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hey geriatric, in Australia it is not illegal to ride two abreast. I can't say about other places in the world but would think that is not. Staggered formation is far safer and most bikers prefer that. I love your choice of words, "Blocking a road." Riding two abreast takes up no more room than when you sit in your car driving on the road, (most likely chatting on your phone) and far less room than a truck "blocking a road" just because it was there. I bet you don't try running a truck off the road. Or do you think motorcycles should have to ride in the gutter? They have just as much right to be on the road as you do, except in Bangkok where they are discriminated against by law. And if you passed them legally, giving them a safe amount of clearance, without trying to run them off the road absolutely nothing will happen to you. How do you know it was not the other way around and Peter was pissed off about the motorcyclists being on the road and that is why he tried to confront them? I don't know and unless you know something that isn't in the story, neither do you. Let me guess, you don't ride a big motorcycle.

With a quick google I see it is also legal in most if not all of the USA http://www.bmwbmw.or...hp?f=62&t=16242

and many other places. Can't see anywhere where it is illegal for motorcycles, can you? I don't say I have searched every country. Do your research before you mouth off, but that I don't think is your style. I can just imagine you running off the road two outlaw motorcycles riding two abreast because you thought it was illegal, then got pissed off when they got upset, and blaming them for punching your lights out.

As for everyone else's racist comments about Thais, I wonder why you bother living in Thailand. The article never said the so called "gang" were Thai. And as for the and anti motorcycle rhetoric, maybe you would speak different if you all rode a motorcycles and had to put up with imbeciles on the road that thought like you do. And for londonthai, "note to myself: drive off or drive them over, but don't stop. Risky and waste of time". I am really sorry it was not you beaten to death. Please go back to London and please stay off the roads and they will be a much safer place with out you.

The reported story leaves a lot more questions than answers, and I don't think Gina Marden would ever get a job or win any awards as an investigative reporter.

My condolences to the family of Peter if she got his name right.

May he Rest in Peace. My comiserations to his family and friends.

On occasions the Thai culture does clash with visitors or farang culture. We all know about how a 'loss of face', particularly here in Thailand is taken, particularly if in front of other Thais. Sometimes this aspect is easily forgotten or not considered.

When are poeple going to learn, you cannot act / react here in Thailand the same way to situations as you would in the West, and the rest of what I would like to say is not allowed under forum rules but the end result is all too common........a death.

Another sensless loss........RIP Peter

Edited by CharlieH

No real facts, except for a dead man, if i can speculate, road rage is very frequent here, BUT... the Thais in general, always give you a nod or a whey, of "sorry mister" when they cut out in front of you and nearly kill you, it's our retaliation and freaking out afterwards,that makes them reach for a gun,which almost one third of Thais carry in their cars (so i'm told) , they are a humble people at face value,but don't piss them off, the biker gangs here are very friendly and keep to them selves, even stop to help you, if your'e broken down, but confrontation at a western level, will not be tollerated, here or anywhere, if they ,beat this man, i don't believe the intention was to kill him, i dare say he didn't get out of the car and say,hello chaps, you cut me off, please be more careful next time, would you get out of a car in the US ,Aust or England to face an MC gang? I doubt it, same story with almost everything in Thailand,we become a superior being and think we are bullet proof!

RIP and i hope it comes to justice.

Hopefully someone who knows the story can add more info.

What I don't understand is why this story never surfaced in Thailand; only when family back in the UK report it to the press there. Almost like it was hushed up locally.

I know the police in Bangkok make money keeping stories out of the press.

A friend of mine managers large properties in the Lumpini area. If there is a death, robbery etc, the police offer her a deal to keep it quiet.

Recall several years ago, The Oriental Hotels new riverboat sunk, killing one person. Never saw it in the press.

RIP Peter

It is not uncommon to have expat builders in Thailand, I talked to a few British builders in Pattaya & Phuket. Quite a lot of expats whom builds a house will gladly pay extra and have an expat builder for reasons I am not allowed to mention here.

I am a Harley owner and are a member of HOG Thailand (Harley owner GROUP (not gang)) and know app 5-6 different groups-clubs in Pattaya where people are wearing a west with back mark and all of them are very nice and stay within the law (Thai & Expat mix). Hell some of them are raising money for poor children. Those groups and riding large bikes like Harley's and the likes.

Then you have the gangs which normally is Thais on small Thai bikes, which often makes the headlines in local papers, drugs-guns and so on. If you have any common sense you stay as far away from them as possible, because they act like they don't give a shit about anybody expect their own gang members.

Above is off-course only my own observations.

odd there hasnt been any mention of this in the local Pattaya news.

That may be because he died on January 12th and got into the altercation in late December of 2010. So, you would need to go back near 3-months to search for the story.

For all I know Thais have already been bashed by posters regarding this story back in January wink.gif

Edited by Nisa

odd there hasnt been any mention of this in the local Pattaya news.

That may be because he died on January 12th and got into the altercation in late December of 2010. So, you would need to go back near 3-months to search for the story.

For all I know Thais have already been bashed by posters regarding this story back in January wink.gif

So... this is in Pattaya.... I should have known..........

It's been a couple of moths though...

But I don't get anything ..............from the local media. I shop in FOODLAND central Pattaya after 21.00 pm every weekend......

to avoid any problem.. I don't go to concerts and pubs. I know some areas in Pattaya are pretty rough......

Edited by dunkin2012

Apparently three Thai guys on bikes followed him home & beat him up. His Thai wife was responsible for reporting the death to authorities but never made a song & dance about it. Pretty easy to see what the real story is.

the authorities don't follow up with the case?

Do yah mean that?

Edited by dunkin2012

Can anyone name a single western murder where the perp was arrested, tried, convicted and incarcerated for a suitable period of time?

Anyone?

It just doesn't happen we never see news of the Thais being caught and convicted too much corruption Foreigners are treated like crap.

Thats not always true..........the young girl that was raped in Samui 4-5 years ago, the guys there were caught. I also know of at least two stabbings of foreigners in Petchaburi where the Thais were caught and imprisoned....

precisely the point i made in my reference to the bar business.. set up perfectly legally as a Thai business, but often overtly & in your face hands on at the counter run by a farang.. (instead of keeping the profile low)

in this guys case, that could transfer as to being seen locally tiling the odd roof, building the odd wall, laying the odd concrete drive... etc... (along with his Thai employees)

this i know for sure upsets a lot of Thai people who see their laws being abused in this way...

What a load of &lt;deleted&gt;. Your leap here is over the Grand Canyon. You're saying the motive for the killing is jealousy?

Wow Sherlock I am pretty sure you could solve the case in no time.

I see no connection between a road rage incident resulting in a fatality & a guy hiring a crew of workers to lay a driveway.

But in your mind the gentleman was here working illegally.

Guilty !!! Next case!!!

R.I.P. to the victim. Hope he finds justice.