Buying A Digital Slr In Bkk

CNX

I am coming to BKK on Tuesday - 27th September & am in the market for a quality digital SLR. The Nikon comes with a suitable lens in the package but the Canon apparently comes with body only (I don't want the 18-55 lens). I would buy the latest 17-85mm specifically designed for the 20D. (I do not enjoy having multiple lenses.)

Your opinons on the packages are welcome! Where does one go to buy?

The Nikon is around B44500. The Canon body is about B59000 & the lens around B24000. So, we are comparing B44.5k to B83k. I held both the Canon 350D & the Nikon 70Ds. The Nikon won by a mile. Comparing the Nikon 70Ds to the Nikon 50, I was persuaded by the quality of lens provided by the 70Ds. I have not sighted a Canon 20D (reviews only). For simplicity, it seems that the Nikon is a winner (I am not into manual photography but like the idea of some B&W).

My current camera is an AE-1 program - 1981 vintage! I am not a professional photographer nor an enthusiast but nor do I wish to continually update to the latest model.

After sales service is unimportant as I do not reside in BKK.

Thanks guys.

Thanks a heap Nordlys - this topic area is so large, there must be many repeat questions.

I note that you have experience with digital SLRs. I have had a T70 - motor died. Then bought an AE-1 Program with a Tamron 28-200mm lens. It produces a great print but now it is time to go digital.

Like many, I have given myself a headache. I held the 350D & 70Ds. The Nikon was a mile ahead - great camera & superior lens. I have never seen a 20D. So I will compare the 20D with a Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM SLR lens.

I am looking @ about B44-45k for the Nikon & B80+k for the Canon - an extra B40000! The Nikon looked good, felt good, menus seemed relatively simple etc. However, I would like to do a little B&W. For my usage, Mega Pixels don't matter. Functions of the 20D may be too complex for me but I always look for a camera as a long-term investment. I am definitely an amateur & a low/mid volume user. Over 8 years, the difference of B40000 is B100/week!

Any personal input /opinion before I visit the retailers would be appreciated. I always look @ value rather than price.