Makro Porridge

Daffy D

My usual porridge is the quick type that either just mixes with hot water or only needs cooking for about 3min.

At Makro the other day the Misses bought a bag of their brand porridge to try but it does not have any cooking instructions on the bag.

post-35075-0-19039700-1301545909_thumb.j

Is this proper porridge that needs just a few minutes cooking or sort of raw oats that need cooking for hours and then tastes like the old school porridge? :bah:

Any cooking advice for this Makro porridge welcome.

:D

I have never used them to make porridge but I use the Aro oats for cookies, bars etc. and they cook in the same time as Quaker oats or those German ones they sell in Makro or Tesco.

I say throw some in a pan with water, simmer for 5 minutes and they should be ready to eat. Can't hurt to try.

Thanks Gippy

A pinch of salt in hot water and simmer for few minutes till it gets sticky seems to be the way.

Not as tasty a Quaker but now I got a bag full will have to eat it :lol:

My ex-wife in the UK used to make it with mink and then serve it with brown sugar or honey and a little more milk to keep it moist.

However I am English so no salt please. :bah:

In my old days in the RAF I have no idea how they made it but if we ever ran out of concrete for building.........

Edited by billd766

Thanks Gippy

A pinch of salt in hot water and simmer for few minutes till it gets sticky seems to be the way.

Not as tasty a Quaker but now I got a bag full will have to eat it :lol:

My ex-wife in the UK used to make it with mink and then serve it with brown sugar or honey and a little more milk to keep it moist.

However I am English so no salt please. :bah:

In my old days in the RAF I have no idea how they made it but if we ever ran out of concrete for building.........

MINK? Do you mean Milk ? , you can microwave Makro porridge just put it in the Micro for 1 min on 600 and see if it's to your tasting Milk is the best option with a little sugar when cooked yummy .

lets us know how you get on , it's like boiling an egg , it takes a while before you get it right. :D

Boyce :jap:

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but does anyone know if the Makro Aro oats are normal oats or the instant kind?

I would have happily bought them, but right next to the Arrow Oats were a bag of McGarrett instant oats, and then I wasn't sure: Are the Arrow oats normal oats (rolled or whatever), or are they instant?

As Daffy D stated, the bag doesn't say. Practically no text, only, "Should be stored in a cool and dry place," and the address of Arrow.

Rolled oats (i.e., normal oats) are nutritionally superior, while instant oats are nutritionally junk... It hardly takes any time to cook normal oats , I'm not sure why instant oats even exist... to reduce cooking time from 5 minutes to 1 minute?

Finished the Macro oats long time ago. Tried several ways of cooking, long time, short time didn't seem to make any difference.

Have gone back to McGarrett Quick Cooking Oats from Tesco. Pour into hot water and cook for few min and they're done. I have no idea if they are rolled or normal oats. :huh:

Did used to get the tins of Quaker which were nicer but more expensive and what to do with all those lovely empty tins? Too good to just throw away :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Macro again and bought the oats. To answer my own question, the Aro brand oats are "rolled oats", not the over-processed "quick oats", or "instant oats". This is based on the shape of the oat flakes in the bag. Instant oats and quick oats are ground smaller than rolled oats. The Aro brand oats are pretty big flakes, so they must be rolled oats and not the instant or quick kind.

• 11 years later...

I've got a packet of Aro from Makro and I want to eat the oats without cooking them, but it says on the front of the packet "Professional quality", and on the back it says, "Use for cooking" and "Cook well". I don't want to get a food-borne disease, but I really want to eat them without cooking them. There's no website on the packet either.