Law Prohibiting Marriage To Foreigners Over The Age Of 50 Proposed To Thai Cabinet

webfact

Is there another government anywhere in the world that refuses to recognise the overseas marriage of it's citizens to foreigners? I find this to be utterly absurd.

What a pity we can't all chuck in the towel, gather up our assets and take off. Ha! And leave the Thai women to fight over whatever decent, responsible, loyal, hard working, financially successful Thai men they can find. As ugly as cock fighting is, it would be tame compared with the resulting Thai bitch fights, ... as the last of us, so apparently undesirable, farangs disappear.

Thai girls will have to search for their useless brothers and force them to help support the parents. Well, this wouldn't be such a bad thing at all, if it were even remotely possible.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So does that mean that a foreigner over 50 cannot marry any Thai national regardless of age?

e.g Foreigner 51 and Thai woman 45 cannot get married?

That would seem ridiculous!

Yes it is ridiculous and doesn't this law also go against basic human rights?

Basic human rights........in Thailand? I assume you are joking?

It really doesn't need to be race specific, why do't they just set a minimum age gap for ALL marriages. 25-30 years. A 50 year old couldn't marry a 20 year old. A 60 year old couldn't marry a 30 year old etc. Farang or Thai or both.

It's racist pure and simple. And very thai.

I don't care about the law itself BUT I do care that it is completely RACIST against foreigners. If the law was applied to everyone (Thai's too) then its just a law which we must accept although may not agree with. A very controversial law, but not without some merit. I do beleive there is something uncomfortable with a 65 year old man marrying an 18 year old, but that is just personal opinion, everyone is different.

But the MAIN point here is this law should apply to ALL nationalities otherwise it is purely RACIST!

On another note, I know of a 40 year old Thai man who married a 14 year old girl in Rayong! She used to live next to my sisters house. One day I asked where she was and my sister said shyly she had been married off to a 40+ year old Thai man! Apparently this kind of thing is not uncommon. This, of course would never happen with a foreigner. Therefore, the proposed law can be deemed to be racist. The politicians proposing it should be severely reprimanded and labeled as RACISTS.

Right on bro, the best thought out statement yet.

People from all nationalities are more comfortable with it when the older guy is loaded...it seems money can make the guy less creepy

This is no big deal. There is no need to marry, and it will bring a sigh of relief from many who are being pressured by their GF and her family. What is not mentioned in the article that the proposal also includes a restriction on inheritance. Any clause in the Will of foreigner which favours a Thai national will be become null and void. And this IS retro-active. This will cause some consternation, and possibly protests which will overshadow anything the red shirts have managed.

Can you explain that further ? I have never heard of this proposal.

Sure. It will enacted one year from today.

HAS ANYONE LOOKED AT TODAY'S DATE OR EVEN TRIED A SIMPLE GOOGLE SEARCH TO CONFIRM OTHER SOURCES FOR THIS STORY. THE INTELLIGENCE LEVEL OF SOME MEMBERS OF THAIVISA ALMOST MAKES ME THINK IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD IDEA.

MAYBE WE COULD ALL HAVE A LOOK AT NOT THE NATION AND THEN SEND MESSAGES ABOUT OTHER RIDICULOUS THINGS THAT 'REALLY ARE HAPPENING' IN THAILAND.

You really would think they would have better things do would you not, follows closely on the heels of the out of date submarine caper..... hold on chaps.............. steady one now ,,.... its.....1st April, do they do this sort of thing on April Fools Day here?

If they pass such a stupid law it should be retroactive. That is all marriages that took place when the foreigner was over 50 should be annulled.

Actually I heard from a friend who has some good contacts that they are seriously looking at this as well.

Its good if its an initiative that is collectively done by all Asean Countries and also other Asian Nations. But along with that, as Nations get more protective, Asian Immigration should also start to match those of the West , where its tougher to migrate and even to get simply a tourist visa these days or being treated like a criminal upon arrival in airports in the US.

Asian countries should also accord the same treatments to citizens of these countries.

Another issue that the Thai government should also control is foreign ownership of properties in Thailand especially condominiums. At the moment, condominium prices are beginning to be out of reach of middle class working thais as lots of local greedy developers are only targetting foreigners. Many of these foreigners especially not only Westerners but Singaporean Chinese, Taiwanese, Middle Easterns and Indians buy them as investments and then rent them out without paying taxes. (maybe another source for the local taxation department). A lot of foreign real estate companies are also to be blamed for the increase in rices as their greed is causing problems for local thais. Look at some of the interesting fthai acebook pages and this is what Thais now want as agendas for the politicians to address in their coming election campaigns.

Its not an issue of zenophobia but rather , the local sshould be accorded priviliges first. Unlik the West, where migartaion standards are high, here in Thailand, you get bums from the Britain and US, without even a tertairy education coming here to teach English or start up some illegal web-based operations from their home.

Even if it is an April fools joke, its not that funny since this law has already been given the OK in Cambodia.

We can simply apply all that is written here to Cambodia.

And that in itself is very sad and not that funny at all...

Even if it is an April fools joke, its not that funny since this law has already been given the OK in Cambodia.

We can simply apply all that is written here to Cambodia.

And that in itself is very sad and not that funny at all...

Agree. Very bad form, TV.

quick, before they pass this law.

you can easily divorce anytime in the future.

on the second thought, over 50 you can get a retirement visa, no need to marry

:whistling:

Believe me, it is much better to get a retirement visa, than to marry a Thai woman. lol. I am speaking from experience. I am married to a younger, Thai woman and I love her dearly and she loves me, but in retrospect, neither of us would get married again. ;-) We have been together for about 8 or 9 years now and things are great, but my advise, to anyone single....RENT, DON'T BUY! ;-)

In all seriousness though, I think it is a good law and I support it.

Sounds like an arrangement rather than true love.

and 800.000 or 400.000 - does matter?

i think if ffarang more 50 and he want marrietd with 18-old girl - its normal

girl have brain, and she can think before marriage, married or not

better they think about pregnant shoolgirls, or here too "work" farang's :lol::lol::lol:

It's fine...

It only applies to straight marriages. The sexpats can just marry an eighteen year old boy instead of an eighteen year old girl.

Fifteen bottles of Heineken and they feel the same anyway...

Ah yes.... the voice of sexperience!

Now, what was that about the date?

Date?

You mean the date I have tonight with 15 bottles of Heineken and a young lad pumped full of estrogen?

I wonder what the probability is of this proposal actually becoming law. Does anyone have any idea?

Probably not too high if anybody in the Ministry of Finance has a pocket calculator - & does a twenty year projection of effect on GDP.

Many seem to forget that the law will also prevent the over 50 men to marry any Thai women over 40 years old.

I have met many foreigners that marry older Thai women closer to their age. This will be unlawful also. I think, this have more to do with preventing Thai women in improving their economic statute.

The law makers prefer to have thousand of women working in factories as cheap labour, almost no holiday and forced over time. Even is Bangkok those are the normal condition.

It is normal for the lawmakers ( the businessmen) to protect their investment.

Remember many newspaper article and TV news recently about Issan women marrying a lot of foreigners and complete villages happy about that situation. ! Must be scary for some.