Chiang Mai Sixes

miltonbentley

The Chiang Mai Cricket Sixes begin this Sunday and are on all week at the Gymkhana Club.

For those not familiar with either cricket or this very shortened form of the game, Sixes cricket is fast and furious and characterised by some explosive batting. There are teams from all over the world some of which include very fine players. There is local interest with teams from the UN Irish Pub and the Zoom Bar as well as a team of very talented Thai cricketers who have come up through the Chiang Mai schools cricket programme and who are expected to be very competitive this year.

The action starts no later than 9am and goes onto sundown. There is a bar and numerous food stalls. Admission is free.

This event is now in its 24th year and it is well worth a look.

All the information is on their website here

The kids tournament is on Thursday and Friday. There is no time given but it is probably in the afternoon. I'll try to find out more and post it here. Incidentally the ladies tournament is also very good with the Thai girls being very talented many of whom have represented Thailand on a national level.

Edited by miltonbentley

My first cricket experience!! Can't wait.

Eek - if you Google Chiang Mai Cricket Sixes, they have a website. The schedules and whatnot are all there. (I was looking for it yesterday.)

Fair play to ya Sadie, football and now cricket, are you sure you've not got some English in you (there's a joke there somewhere but i'm not going there) :D.

Anyway if you want to sit with some intelligent, suave,hansom young men, we will be sitting to the left as you walk in, next to the score board, opposite the main area.

is any one in chiang mai interested in starting a cricket team?

im here for a while and am interested in playing, but have not played for a while and will need some coaching. Can i just turn up at the Gymkhana club and get coaching or some net practice?

thanks

We're really excited here at The Olde Bell too! Our 5th year of sponsoring the Sixes! This year for the first time, we've got one of the food stalls, so you can enjoy Great British & Australian food whilst you watch (or participate) in the cricket!!

We look forward to seeing a lot of old friends over the coming week!

Yes, don't try to play golf there!

That's a silly complaint (except that you might have to be careful not to run over a few overethusiastic drinkers in the parking lot when you enter or exit. You can play an enjoyable six holes three times. That adds up to 18! Mai phen rai!

Or, better, don't play golf, enjoy the cricket. It is often pretty hilarious. At this meet, a lot of old farts in yellowing whites try to hit, run catch and bowl like they were in school. Oy!! But there are some (not many) decent players who show up. Not exactly world cup, but a lot of fun! Besides you can ogle the cute Thai nurses wearing their tight whites and high heels there on on emergency medical duty!

The juniors are quite good!! The weather is fair, the air is "clear." Go out and enjoy! Just go under a tent and say "hello," if you haven't been there before or don't know the game. You'll probably get a drunken explanation from someone who has been drinking linament instead of beer, but never mind! But most likely they will give you a beer.

We're really excited here at The Olde Bell too! Our 5th year of sponsoring the Sixes! This year for the first time, we've got one of the food stalls, so you can enjoy Great British & Australian food whilst you watch (or participate) in the cricket!!

So why aren't you out on the pitch playing instead of pitching food sales?

So why aren't you out on the pitch playing instead of pitching food sales?

Because selling food is my livelihood as you well know. .......that and the fact that I haven't played the game in 40 years! Have you never got involved with a game you enjoy but don't play?

That's a silly complaint (except that you might have to be careful not to run over a few overethusiastic drinkers in the parking lot when you enter or exit. You can play an enjoyable six holes three times. That adds up to 18! Mai phen rai!

Or, better, don't play golf, enjoy the cricket. It is often pretty hilarious. At this meet, a lot of old farts in yellowing whites try to hit, run catch and bowl like they were in school. Oy!! But there are some (not many) decent players who show up. Not exactly world cup, but a lot of fun! Besides you can ogle the cute Thai nurses wearing their tight whites and high heels there on on emergency medical duty!

The juniors are quite good!! The weather is fair, the air is "clear." Go out and enjoy! Just go under a tent and say "hello," if you haven't been there before or don't know the game. You'll probably get a drunken explanation from someone who has been drinking linament instead of beer, but never mind! But most likely they will give you a beer.

its not a silly complaint - its a pain in the **** for those of us who want to play golf - it may bring in some money but... many of us would rather it didn't take place!

A few days without golf? Do you some good.

Anyway isn't golf on a par (pun intended) with morris dancing (sad English folk jigging that makes line dancing look cool) and incest - simply not done my dear!

A few days without golf? Do you some good.

Anyway isn't golf on a par (pun intended) with morris dancing (sad English folk jigging that makes line dancing look cool) and incest - simply not done my dear!

never linked (pun intended) golf with incest before nor Morris Dancing (that good old Pagan ritual!) - but cricket is for those sad folk who enjoy going along to 95% empty stadiums like watching paint dry I'd say old chap!

its not a silly complaint - its a pain in the **** for those of us who want to play golf - it may bring in some money but... many of us would rather it didn't take place!

Didn't realise there is only one golf course in Chiang Mai :blink:

I play golf and I enjoy watching cricket. There are plenty of other courses, as Sparkles says, to get your golf fix during the sixes - try Stardome, an excellent 9 hole course, in town, not much more expensive than Gymkhana. The money the club gets from the sixes has helped bring it up to the standard it is now - also due to Eric Little's sterling efforts too! The sixes brings a lot to Chiang Mai including developing cricket amongst Thai kids. Its not a lot to ask to forego a few rounds to enable this great event to take place.

I play golf and I enjoy watching cricket. There are plenty of other courses, as Sparkles says, to get your golf fix during the sixes - try Stardome, an excellent 9 hole course, in town, not much more expensive than Gymkhana. The money the club gets from the sixes has helped bring it up to the standard it is now - also due to Eric Little's sterling efforts too! The sixes brings a lot to Chiang Mai including developing cricket amongst Thai kids. Its not a lot to ask to forego a few rounds to enable this great event to take place.

Anything that gets some young Thai's out of the house and enjoy an activity, and exercise, deserves our support and hopefully many will turn up. "Chiang Mai Fun" is that an oxy moron or what ???

Fair play to ya Sadie, football and now cricket, are you sure you've not got some English in you (there's a joke there somewhere but i'm not going there) :D.

Anyway if you want to sit with some intelligent, suave,hansom young men, we will be sitting to the left as you walk in, next to the score board, opposite the main area.

Aw, shucks, thanks! I missed this before my visit yesterday. But will be back on Saturday to catch the finals.

Which team are you supporting? I'm a real fan of the Stuffed Beavers (there's a joke there somewhere but i'm not going there). ;)

I'll be supporting the OLD very perverted men from down under WOMBATS in their 24th or 25th attempt to hold the winners trophy in the spoon but knowing most of them I doubt if anything much will change this year

I'll be supporting the OLD very perverted men from down under WOMBATS in their 24th or 25th attempt to hold the winners trophy in the spoon but knowing most of them I doubt if anything much will change this year

If Alan Tasker is with them this year (He is mentioned in the team write up but not in the pics), please say hello from me, Tim Healey.

Alan was a customer of mine for many years, (Wimbledon Grass), we shared many a beer and a laugh over the years, I was actually in town about three years ago at the same time as the sixes were on, Alan and I kept making arrangements and then missing each other, but I did see him fleetingly chatting to a young lady outside the Duangtawan, personally I thought she was a bit tall for a lady, but Alan is quite small so that could explain it.

Guys, you know when the kids are playing? Maybe im blind, but i cant figure out when. No idea if the kids have a special name or not.

not sure what the guys called but the girl's are called the Thai Pixies and I saw 2 pixies at the crease on Monday hammering the ball around the ground withgreat ease! Great to see these kids taking to the game!

For those of you who haven't been down to the Gymkhana yet, it''s a great day's entertainment. Even if you aren't a cricket fan its a fun place to hang out. I have been surprised at the number of Americans there - some with a surprisingly good understanding of the game!!!

Don't forget to check out The Olde Bell food tent when you come down!!

No sign of Mapguy yet!