9 killed, 81 injured in Quran burning protest in southern Afghanistan

News_Editor

9 killed, 81 injured in Quran burning protest in southern Afghanistan

2011-04-02 23:20:43 GMT+7 (ICT)

KANDAHAR, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- Nine people were killed and at least 81 others wounded on Saturday after a mass demonstration turned violent in Kandahar City, the Pajhwok news agency reported.

According to the governor's office, Afghan security forces arrested 17 people, including seven armed men, in connection with violence during a protest against the burning of the Islam holy book Quran by a Florida, U.S., pastor on March 20.

"On 09: 15 am this morning, around 100 people started the demonstration in the Charso area of Kandahar City to condemn the abhorrent move of burning the Quran," the governor's office said in a statement.

Some private and public properties were damaged, while furniture and a bus in a girl high school were set ablaze. Police tried to control the mob, but the protest turned into riot.

Local administration in Kandahar condemned the "un-Islamic" and destructive actions in the statement.

The incident came a day after a similar protest that turned violent in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif left ten United Nations staff members dead and several others injured. A group of demonstrators attacked the UN operations centre, fired gunshots at peacekeepers guarding the compound and set fire inside it.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-02

Too many of these radical Islamic fundamentalists are clearly completely INSANE. If they wanted a rational target, they had the church that did the burning itself. That church's action is of course reprehensible. I realize they couldn't get to the church. So write a letter! But the UN? People say it's inflammatory to call this sort of thing a clash of civilizations. What would you call it that would adequately describe how crazy those people are? A Sunday outing?

Edited by Jingthing

I would call the reaction a cult like. You would think they burned the only copy. :whistling:

I don't normally go for burning books, but this time it was acted out in a form of protest theater. The Quran right or wrong is widely used to promote the actions just like we see happening as a result of that protest burning, and has been to often used in the resent past the same way. The burning was done in a way not any different then burning a flag or the effigy of a leader. We should be thankful they didn't draw pictures or cartoons as well - think of the carnage.

With a mock trail before hand to find the book guilty - it only proves the pastor has a point about them and their use of the book. I am sure they knew there would be and wanted some kind of a reaction, but could not see an attack on the UN and people killed as the result. I am sure they were thinking more that they would be added to the hit list of persons that are to be killed on site in the name of God :blink: - a vary long and growing list before this book was soaked in fuel and burned.

The paster was hardly acting "Christian" by burning the Quran, knowing what probably would happen. But that still does not excuse the reaction which killed people who had nothing to do with the burning.

And yes, this violence was predictable. When urine was splattered on a Quran at Gitmo, 17 people were killed in violence around the world. This seems crazy to us in the West, but I have spoken with several Middle-Eastern Muslims about it, and they seemed to think the deaths, while regrettable, were understandable.

The paster was hardly acting "Christian" by burning the Quran, knowing what probably would happen. But that still does not excuse the reaction which killed people who had nothing to do with the burning.

And yes, this violence was predictable. When urine was splattered on a Quran at Gitmo, 17 people were killed in violence around the world. This seems crazy to us in the West, but I have spoken with several Middle-Eastern Muslims about it, and they seemed to think the deaths, while regrettable, were understandable.

There is of course no equivalency in the two actions, burning a holy book vs. murders of people who had zero connection to that.

Understandable, you say? That's a vague word. Understandable as in predictable (yes) or understandable as in defensible (no, hell no!).

By the same line of thinking - the way some of them have acted in the past and present - they must understand that someone might burn a book and except it, or is it only the rest of us that are required to conform to normal human behavior. They have a special license to act like animals on any excuse they determine. Besides there is no such thing as a holy book anyway - that is pure BS - even the bible is just another book - it is the content and how they use it that counts not the symbol of paper and binder.

You can burn bibles all day who cares. This was just another excuse to hate, kill and impose their faith on others. It is just a book and plenty of copies around - they need to grow up and face the music - they are not running the world and controlling free peoples lives - and no level of excuse for them is anything other then expressing fear of them.

"But that still does not excuse the reaction which killed people who had nothing to do with the burning." so killing the ones that did would be OK? I bet those burners are on the list along with people that draw cartoons a well, so maybe they will get killed and everything will be all better then. We will have to see after they clear the list. They can add my name if they wish - piss on them.

It is vary UN Muslim like for most all of the Imam to set and except this madness without taking up the issue with the flock vary openly. Is it really about piece and love or not? What say you Imam? Many would say and have said many times already "Kill the infidels" That is the problem - not book burnings.

Some private and public properties were damaged, while furniture and a bus in a girl high school were set ablaze.

It would ne naive to think that the people who did this were doing it because of the Quran burning. This is typical Taleban behaviour - doing what they can to keep females from getting an education and just using the protests as a diversion to get it done.

Yes, equally understandable is the blowing up of the world heritage, centuries old, Buddha images in Afghanistan. Infidels are infidels after all! I see a good deal of backlash by those of the Christian faith condemning the actions of this deranged Florida pastor but where is the Muslim backlash against the barbaric activities conducted in the name of their faith?

it only proves the pastor has a point about them and their use of the book. I am sure they knew there would be and wanted some kind of a reaction, but could not see an attack on the UN and people killed as the result.

If they couldn't understand the potential for this outcome they must be indeed dimwitted since they were repeatedly warned of the danger in which they would put US troops as well as NGO personnel.

If they wanted to make a brave point, it might have been better for them to fly to Afghanistan and burn a Koran there rather than in a place where they knew they were safe from any response to their actions.

It was a pointless, provocative and totally unChristian action taken by an attention-seeking idiot who should be held responsible for the predictable results.

Remember this is the religion of peace we are talking about and very often the massacres of any infidels in their vicinity happen just after Friday prayers. :blink: Had Islam been invented in the U.S a few years ago by a David koresh type character the national guard would quite righly have torched the lot of them.

I'm sure their appologists will turn the blame inwards towards the admittedly stupid act of burning the Quran. But any act such as drawing cartoons in Denmark, holding the Miss World contest in Nigeria etc can lead to the same stone age bloodlust - We are not the problem they are.

calling Islam the religion of peace is like saying North Korea is a democratic republic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyNQ1zc-q74

Edited by timekeeper

but where is the Muslim backlash against the barbaric activities conducted in the name of their faith?

You don't have to look far ...

http://www.google.co...&rlz=1I7RNSN_en

As per your search on Google sure there are sensible Muslims out there and basically they feel the same way I do. This is just some off the first site on your search results.

Ed Bradley: Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the responsibility... Does not Islam, does not Allah require that Muslims police their own religion and rid themselves of extremists?

Hamza Yusuf: Yes, absolutely. It's an obligation for Muslims to root them out. And I think it is a jihad now for the Muslims in the Muslim country to rid themselves of this element.

CBS's 60 Minutes, September 30, 2001

"Who has the greatest duty to stop violence committed by Muslims against innocent non-Muslims in the name of Islam? The answer, obviously, is Muslims."

Ingrid Mattson, Vice President, Islamic Society of North America

"Hurt no one so that no one may hurt you. Remember that you will indeed meet your Lord, and that He will indeed reckon your deeds."

From the last sermon of Prophet Mohammed

But a back lash against extremists must be a grass roots movement that is first and foremost in the minds of the great majority of Muslims - not just a few. To imply a search on Google constitutes that this is the case is simplistic.

There is of course no equivalency in the two actions, burning a holy book vs. murders of people who had zero connection to that.

Understandable, you say? That's a vague word. Understandable as in predictable (yes) or understandable as in defensible (no, hell no!).

I never wrote that there was equivalency in the actions, nor do I think the violence is "understandable." That was a phrase used by others.

But I tended to infer that they thought the violence was a reasonable action. I make no pretension on understanding Middle-eastern tribal thinking in many cases. I don't understand why men would rape another man to punish him for being gay (then let him live despite them killing the other hostage men who were presumably not gay) , nor do I understand the sharia court sentence of having the men of one family rape the sister of a boy who shamed the men's family by being seen walking with a girl from that family. To be honest, the logic baffles me. But I know at least one Arab Christian and many Muslims who have expressed their understanding of the logic behind both of these specific actions.

By the same line of thinking - the way some of them have acted in the past and present - they must understand that someone might burn a book and except it, or is it only the rest of us that are required to conform to normal human behavior. They have a special license to act like animals on any excuse they determine. Besides there is no such thing as a holy book anyway - that is pure BS - even the bible is just another book - it is the content and how they use it that counts not the symbol of paper and binder.

You can burn bibles all day who cares. This was just another excuse to hate, kill and impose their faith on others. It is just a book and plenty of copies around - they need to grow up and face the music - they are not running the world and controlling free peoples lives - and no level of excuse for them is anything other then expressing fear of them.

"But that still does not excuse the reaction which killed people who had nothing to do with the burning." so killing the ones that did would be OK? I bet those burners are on the list along with people that draw cartoons a well, so maybe they will get killed and everything will be all better then. We will have to see after they clear the list. They can add my name if they wish - piss on them.

It is vary UN Muslim like for most all of the Imam to set and except this madness without taking up the issue with the flock vary openly. Is it really about piece and love or not? What say you Imam? Many would say and have said many times already "Kill the infidels" That is the problem - not book burnings.

In a perfect world, it is great to say that we won't have to conform to others. However, you don't poke a rabid dog. Now we have 5 dead Nepalese guards and three other UN employees. Was the grandstanding in Florida really worth their lives? Do you think the family of that Norwegian pilot thinks her death was worth it?

If I could find the individuals who perpetrated this violence, I would persecute them and put them in prison for the rest of their natural lives. But I cannot condone what that pastor did. Why throw fuel on the fire?

As far as the comment on people who had nothing to do with the burning, that was a poor choice of words on my part. Even if you burned the book yourself, that should hardly be a death sentence.

Edited by luckizuchinni

Well I don't think they were just poking a rabid dog - they were using theater to protest the bad conduct of other people and their use of the book for deadly means rather then hunting them down and killing them the way the type of people they are protesting would have done. If we decide a perfect world requires we set on our hands and get approval from our enemy before we protest we may as well let the rabid dogs eat us alive because they surely will.

In addition - many of the witnesses to the protest were media and they spun it up before, during and after the fact so maybe we can limit the media as well as our right to free expression because without that they would have never even heard about it. (it must be the media's fault also) where does one draw that line? Like I said before I am just glad it was not another cartoon or many of the other excuses they have used to kill and riot in the past. How would I feel if it was my family there and one died - well just as bad as I do when ever they kill in all the other parts of the world on a daily bases. Pretty pissed off.

Your going to be vary busy if you want to blame someone every time they do it, you may wish to focus on the more common denominator in this problem first. I believe the remainder like the Pastor and his agenda will be self resolving. They can't protest if they don't have an issue. :jap:

I haven't burned one yet, but I am thinking about it. :whistling: Where did I put that poker? :lol:

it only proves the pastor has a point about them and their use of the book. I am sure they knew there would be and wanted some kind of a reaction, but could not see an attack on the UN and people killed as the result.

If they couldn't understand the potential for this outcome they must be indeed dimwitted since they were repeatedly warned of the danger in which they would put US troops as well as NGO personnel.

If they wanted to make a brave point, it might have been better for them to fly to Afghanistan and burn a Koran there rather than in a place where they knew they were safe from any response to their actions.

It was a pointless, provocative and totally unChristian action taken by an attention-seeking idiot who should be held responsible for the predictable results.

Agreed, 100%.

I never wrote that there was equivalency in the actions, nor do I think the violence is "understandable." That was a phrase used by others.

But I tended to infer that they thought the violence was a reasonable action. I make no pretension on understanding Middle-eastern tribal thinking in many cases. I don't understand why men would rape another man to punish him for being gay (then let him live despite them killing the other hostage men who were presumably not gay) , nor do I understand the sharia court sentence of having the men of one family rape the sister of a boy who shamed the men's family by being seen walking with a girl from that family. To be honest, the logic baffles me. But I know at least one Arab Christian and many Muslims who have expressed their understanding of the logic behind both of these specific actions.

It's all in how you're raised.

In a perfect world, it is great to say that we won't have to conform to others. However, you don't poke a rabid dog. Now we have 5 dead Nepalese guards and three other UN employees. Was the grandstanding in Florida really worth their lives? Do you think the family of that Norwegian pilot thinks her death was worth it?

If I could find the individuals who perpetrated this violence, I would persecute them and put them in prison for the rest of their natural lives. But I cannot condone what that pastor did. Why throw fuel on the fire?

As far as the comment on people who had nothing to do with the burning, that was a poor choice of words on my part. Even if you burned the book yourself, that should hardly be a death sentence.

Viewed in isolation yes it was a stupid act, but was the Danish newspaper publishing the cartoons the same, was Salman Rushdie writing the Satanic Verses, or the Miss world contest being held in Nigeria?

Pandering to extremist religous fanatics only encourages them the only difference is the link from cause to effect is not quite so direct as a score of Coptic Christians discovered murdered close to Christmas for just practicing their faith.

I predicted what would happen when the Quran was burnt, the fact it was so predictable proved a point, we are dealing with a cult of fanatics who have no place in the civilised world, the question is what's to be done about it?

Whoops, Kabul we have a problem! :intheclub:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/8419643/Geert-Wilders-steps-up-anti-Islam-rhetoric.html

Geert Wilders steps up anti-Islam rhetoric

Geert Wilders has stepped up his anti-Islam rhetoric by describing the Prophet Mohammed as an "insane, paedophile, rapist murderer" just two weeks before the opening of his trial on charges of inciting race hatred.

The violence did not start until Karzai decided to stir things up. I find it disgusting that my tax dollars are being used to fund and support this corrupt and self-serving rabble rouser.

I see Karzai's comments more as a spark that AJad poured fuel on. Sad and deadly manipulation of a fundamentalist mindset that happens on a daily basis in Pakistan.

This happens when a back minded pastor burns a Quran and even a more back minded idiology believes that the paper were all this ............ is printed was hurt.

It's a waste of time and resources to believe that they will ever gasp an understanding in how to better their lifes.

Nobody else than they themselves do their best to kill each other. Don't bother them. It's in their own doctrines, brainwashed into their minds and hearts.

Get out and only strike hard when they thifederal government.nk they can get naughty like setting up Nukes etc..

Below: the joy of killing Americans (of course they mean anyone none Muslim)

Prof. Abdallah Al-Nafisi (lecturer in Kuwait) suggests spreading anthrax in American population centers and the White House. He is also praying for "militias of American rednecks" to bomb American nuclear facilities and overthrow the federal government.

He also suggests cutting the tongues of people who suggest peace with Jews as heretics, death threats to journalists who doubt the legitimacy of "the resistance" etc etc etc..

http://xmb.stuffucanuse.com/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=7178 (image on that site was translated by Memri TV) 4 kg of Anthrax would kill 330000 Americans ...

Now, here in America, the same Xtian religious fervor goes against unions, worker's rights, women's rights and on and on and on. All religions suffer this indigenous scab! None are free from this kind of fault. So, one need lot look far for the evil as well as for the good in each one. Since 9/11 in the US, it seems that the balance has only turned toward all that is wicked in all people. The "Patriot Act" is ill-named and is, instead, an attack on individual freedom and the rights guaranteed by the Constitution. Believe me, should I get out of here, I shall be more than happy as this place is losing all sense of balance and is insane. Look at the current legislation here and tell me differently!

Hang in there . . . it is all around all of us! We just need to seek out the good and ignore the evil in the world . . . some say . . . I am not so sure anymore.

It is sad what has become of basic respect for others.

There is no end to it. It does not matter to say one side is an over reaction as we see it daily in many ways & in many wars.

Humans on both sides have lost basic respect for others. Be it customs,religions, way of life etc. It is lost.

Someone said

The pastor was hardly acting "Christian" by burning the Quran

While someone else said

There is of course no equivalency in the two actions

Is there any difference in one side sending one bomb that kills 2 & the other side killing more than a thousand in retaliation?

Would the reaction be any better if instead this pastor decided to desecrate statues of Buddhas or Jesus?

Respect for others is gone.

While freedom of speech may be a double edge sword & a right in certain countries but, nothing good can come from abusing such rights or taunting such as this. Tolerance & respect or understanding of other cultures is dead

RIP

Edited by flying

http://www.telegraph...m-rhetoric.html

Geert Wilders has stepped up his anti-Islam rhetoric by describing the Prophet Mohammed as an "insane, paedophile, rapist murderer" just two weeks before the opening of his trial on charges of inciting race hatred.

Geert is absolutely correct

the ''prophets'' own words in the koran prove that statement to be true

he should have added barbaric

its disgraceful that he is being tried by this Dutch kangaroo court for upsetting the dutch muslim immigrants

http://www.telegraph...m-rhetoric.html

the UK should be ashamed for refusing entry to a Dutch MP so as not to upset the muslims in UK

It is sad what has become of basic respect for others.

There is no end to it. It does not matter to say one side is an over reaction as we see it daily in many ways & in many wars.

Humans on both sides have lost basic respect for others. Be it customs,religions, way of life etc. It is lost.

Someone said

The pastor was hardly acting "Christian" by burning the Quran

While someone else said

There is of course no equivalency in the two actions

Is there any difference in one side sending one bomb that kills 2 & the other side killing more than a thousand in retaliation?

Would the reaction be any better if instead this pastor decided to desecrate statues of Buddhas or Jesus?

Respect for others is gone.

While freedom of speech may be a double edge sword & a right in certain countries but, nothing good can come from abusing such rights or taunting such as this. Tolerance & respect or understanding of other cultures is dead

RIP

respect is earned and given

its not intimidated out of you or demanded as a right

Islam is the religion of fear and they have no damned right to threaten to behead or boil me in oil because i don't agree with them

but what do i know, i am just a low down shit on the bottom of a muslims shoe infidel...................

respect is earned and given

its not intimidated out of you or demanded as a right

Islam is the religion of fear and they have no damned right to threaten to behead or boil me in oil because i don't agree with them

but what do i know, i am just a low down shit on the bottom of a muslims shoe infidel...................

Respect such as extremists burning poppies and union jacks on rememberance day, or threats to bomb the forthcoming royal wedding? Respect is one way with radical Islam, there is no negotiating with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0bT3XbfmA&feature=player_embedded