Speaking And Listening Test

There's a list of the "current" approved test providers on the vfs thailand website. However the list is now being reviewed by the home office with a new list to be published sometime in April. Who knows if the current providers will be included on the new list. For example EMD have been removed from the list

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/images/A1_Testing.pdf

Yes Totster, I can highly recommend Language Solutions who conduct the EET (English Elementry Test) in Bangkok.

As previously mentioned, the list of test providers is currently being reviewed, therefore your best bet is to give James Beere a call.

Edited by 7by7
Phone number removed to protect Mr. Beere. Remember this is an open forum that anyone can read and so use PM facility for personal details/info.

I am getting my Girlfriend to contact Language Solutions tomorrow, we are at the stage where my love is looking to do the A1 test for her UK Spouse Visa.

Totster, I will let you know how she gets on, can you do the same for me too, as in let us know how your Girlfriend gets on.

Alan :rolleyes:

Hi, I am actually inquiring for someone else..they had their appointment cancelled the day before the test and the next available appointment they (she) has been offered is in May :blink:

totster :D

Could not see anything about fees etc in Bangkok ?

I know....the website is a little lame in terms of information on their tests in Thailand. The fee for the English Elementry Test with Language Solutions is 6,500 Bt.

I believe their next test in Bangkok is on Saturday 23rd April 2011 but best to contact them. Their phone numbers are in the link here:

http://www.vfs-uk-th.com/images/2010_11_17_A1_Testing.pdf

Edited by thecatman

Spoke to James Beere today, and he has told me that Language Solutions has ended in Bangkok.

He said UKBA has put a stop to alot of companyies doing the A1 test, he also said that UKBA will be bringing out a new list of places to do the test.

:angry:

Not sure what is going on really, Language Solutions gone , and Visa2go gone too.

Does anybody know anything more? All I want is my love to do the A1 test, then continue with our plans for her to come to the UK.

How many other people are in the same boat?

Alan

Spoke to James Beere today, and he has told me that Language Solutions has ended in Bangkok.

He said UKBA has put a stop to alot of companyies doing the A1 test, he also said that UKBA will be bringing out a new list of places to do the test.

:angry:

Not sure what is going on really, Language Solutions gone , and Visa2go gone too.

Does anybody know anything more? All I want is my love to do the A1 test, then continue with our plans for her to come to the UK.

How many other people are in the same boat?

Alan

Alan,

In this thread Visasplus say that English Test Centres (name of company) are still carrying out the test in Pattaya (posted on 29th March). But he doesn't mention whether or not English Test Centres Bangkok office is still carrying out the test. I'd imagine they are (as their Pattaya office is).

As 7by 7 suggests, just give the companies (English test centres is one of them) in his link a call till you find one that is doing the tests.

Edited by thecatman

If you click on the English Test Centre calendar for test bookings, there are no dates offered after today. I think you'll find they are in the same boat as Visa2Go and Language Solutions, but by all means try them.

Until UKBA condescend to publish the updated (and presumably curtailed) list, aland and others are going to have a period of uncertainty.

I am getting my Girlfriend to contact Language Solutions tomorrow, we are at the stage where my love is looking to do the A1 test for her UK Spouse Visa.

Totster, I will let you know how she gets on, can you do the same for me too, as in let us know how your Girlfriend gets on.

Alan :rolleyes:

Hi, I am actually inquiring for someone else..they had their appointment cancelled the day before the test and the next available appointment they (she) has been offered is in May :blink:

totster :D

You say your friend had their appointment cancelled the day before the test. I would hate this to happen to my girlfriend. She has her test in May or June. Can you say who the company was - that cancelled. ?

"How many other people are in the same boat?"

Yeah we are. We had a test booked for May with Visa2go which was cancelled last week after EMD were told they had been removed from the list. I've contacted a few of the test providers on the current list and the most positive response I had was from Vantage Siam. Apparently one of the conditions for being included on the list is that the provider must cover over 40 countries. The BULATS is linked to Cambridge which represent over 130 countries and Vantage seem confident that they will be included on the new list. This also seems to be backed up by one of the other providers on the list....Orchid of Siam. They WERE offering the EMD test but now when you check their website they have also changed the test they offer to the BULATS through Vantage.

From what I can tell the BULATS is two tests, one speaking (15mins) and one online reading & listening test (1hr). Vantage told me the speaking test is only offered on Fridays because it has to be marked by a Cambridge rep or something, but the other part can be done on the same day too.

Ofcourse this doesn't mean for certain that the test will be on the new approved list but is something for you to think about. The contact details for Vantage are on one of the links mentioned above for the VFS Thailand site.

Hope this helps

I'm now looking to book this test for me wife asap. If anyone does find a test centre in Bangkok that can carry out the test I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

I have to say what I've read here has come as something of a surprise to me, my fault I guess for not researching the subject earlier. Do these test centres only conduct the tests once a month?

This looks to be a complete mess of what should be a very straightforward procedure.

SL.

My girl is running around BKK looking for answers and places, she has come across a few people offering tests but a price of 30,000 B, outside and inside Regent House. So be carefull out there, there are thai people scamming and cashing in on this problem already, looking for the desperate ones.

Alan

My girl is running around BKK looking for answers and places, she has come across a few people offering tests but a price of 30,000 B, outside and inside Regent House. So be carefull out there, there are thai people scamming and cashing in on this problem already, looking for the desperate ones.

Alan

Thanks for the heads up Alan.

Be grateful if you'd let me know if your missus does find a legit office.

SL.

I had the same problem..EMD have been taken off the list because the UK Border Agency have changed the rules..ie. now a 'Testing' company must have test centres in 40 countries. Here's what I did..I contacted a company called Vantage..I have attached their info'..I phoned them and spoke to a girl called 'Amy'...arranged the test for 13th May..no problem..cost for A1 is 5614b..simples!

BULATS.pdf

I had the same problem..EMD have been taken off the list because the UK Border Agency have changed the rules..ie. now a 'Testing' company must have test centres in 40 countries. Here's what I did..I contacted a company called Vantage..I have attached their info'..I phoned them and spoke to a girl called 'Amy'...arranged the test for 13th May..no problem..cost for A1 is 5614b..simples!

Looking at your attachment, it seems that you actually have to take two test to get the A1 level CEFR in listening and speaking. Is that correct ? And, are you sure that it is only 5614 Baht ? That may be the cost of each test ? Where did you get the price from ?

Edited by VisasPlus

Looking at your attachment, it seems that you actually have to take two test to get the A1 level CEFR in listening and speaking. Is that correct ? And, are you sure that it is only 5614 Baht ? That may be the cost of each test ? Where did you get the price from ?

At the bottom of the attachment it says 'The cost of Vantage's UK Settlement Visa package is 5,200 Baht'.

The word 'Package' indicates to me that it's the price is for both tests.

This price seems to be in line with others I've previously seen.

We paid 6,500 with Language solutions for their EET, although their test had 5 parts to it.

(not sure why chronos was quoted 5,614bt though).

Edited by thecatman

Hi All,

I have now also booked the BULATS (business language test) with Vantage for my girl. The price is 5200baht for both parts of the test (Vantage settlement visa package). As I mentioned in my previous post, the test is made up of a 1hr online reading and listening test (computer based test) which can be done any day of the week and a 15min speaking test which can only be done on Friday's. However both tests can be done on the same day if booked on a Friday. For example we booked the computer test at 11.00, break for lunch then go back to do the speaking test at 14.00. The computer test result is immediate but they quote a week for the speaking test as this part is recorded and must be marked by a Cambridge examiner.

From the info I was provided it seems that the computer test is "adaptive" which means if a question is answered correctly the next question is harder, if the question is answered incorrectly then the next question is easier. This then balances out and gives an overall score which determins the level...A1, A2 etc etc

The fact that the BULATS is given by Cambridge ESOL which operate in over 130 countries means that this "should" qualify for the new approved list regulations too

Cheers

The BULATS thing looks interesting, but ( as usual) I'm confused. The UKBA requirement is for listening and speaking only, so applicants don't need to be able to read English. The BULATS test seems to require the applicant to read English to be able to "pass" the computer test, even though there is no "pass/fail". If that is so, then how do applicants who cannot read "pass" that part of the test ? Or can you just sit in front of the computer for an hour, do nothing, and still get an A1 "pass" in that part of the test ?

The BULATS thing looks interesting, but ( as usual) I'm confused. The UKBA requirement is for listening and speaking only, so applicants don't need to be able to read English. The BULATS test seems to require the applicant to read English to be able to "pass" the computer test, even though there is no "pass/fail". If that is so, then how do applicants who cannot read "pass" that part of the test ? Or can you just sit in front of the computer for an hour, do nothing, and still get an A1 "pass" in that part of the test ?

lol...yes, I think you're right. It says all applicants will fall into 1 of 6 CEFR levels, and for an A1 level you need a grade between 0-19.

Many of the other tests on the current list are also to a higher level than A1. For example the TOEIC and some require the applicant to take tests in ALL aspects of english including speaking, writing, reading etc. The BULATS includes some of these aspects because it is designed as a business language test and covers many levels, the lowest of which being the A1. So although yes there may be some element of reading I think only a very low score will be required to meet the A1 standard and from the sample tests that I have been able to find, it looks like the computer questions are simply a case of listening to a passage of speech and then clicking from multiple choice answers on the screen which shouldn't be too difficult (although I havn't had a chance to have a thorough look yet).

From what I can tell it seems to be the "easier" options on the current list that are the ones that have been removed. So for me, until the new list of tests is published, the BULATS looks to be the most simple of the current tests still being taken. This maybe the best option available to anyone that is currently left in limbo and who can't wait for the new list to be published.

When I spoke with 'Amy' I was informed that the test would be in 2 parts - the adaptive computer test in the morning (11am)..and the 'Listening & Speaking' test later in the day. The price quoted was 5614b..no idea why it is that price, however I will query it on the day as their stated price is 5200b.!

All may become clear soon. About a week ago I emailed the UKBA "Temporary Migration Projects" which was the email address given for all enquiries relating to the reviewed list of test providers. I just had a reply saying that the new list would be published TODAY, but as yet there's nothing on the UKBA website

Regards

All may become clear soon. About a week ago I emailed the UKBA "Temporary Migration Projects" which was the email address given for all enquiries relating to the reviewed list of test providers. I just had a reply saying that the new list would be published TODAY, but as yet there's nothing on the UKBA website

Regards

The new list has been published on the UKBA website. The link is

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/45-new-list-of-english-language

There are transitional arrangements. It looks like you can use an existing provider as long as the application is submitted before 17 July 2011, so those who already have tests booked look okay.

Transitional arrangements For Tiers 1 and 2 of the points-based system tests that have been booked or taken with the existing lists of providers can be used in applications as long as they are received by the UK Border Agency on or before 17 May 2011. From 18 May 2011 only tests taken with providers on the new list can be used as part of applications for Tier 1 and Tier 2.

For those applying as a spouse or partner, you may use a test with an existing provider in an application received on or before the 17 July 2011. From 18 July 2011 all applications must be submitted with evidence from a provider on the new list published on the 6 April.

There are no transitional arrangements for Tier 4 of the points-based system as we are expanding the current list of providers. A test can therefore be taken with any provider on the new list from 6 April and submitted as part of an application.

For anyone wanting to take the test imminently in Pattaya, English Test Centres can still do the tests ( details on our website). It will be your responsibilty to ensure that the associated application is submitted before 17th July.