Drinking At Songkran

krung

Saw some in a local newspaper today

He(the mayor) also asked for cooperation from the public and tourists alike not to drink alcohol as part of the alcohol free campaign, especially along the city moats, Thapae road, Ratchadmanoen road, Huay Kaew road, and others.

So what do people think? Anybody heard anything? I know most will say 'This is Thailand' , but Loy Krathong was policed heavier this year and a lot quieter.

I feel safer drinking alcoholic beverages than the water that is being thrown into peoples face. Doubt that any officials will want to run the gantlet to enforce a large/extended alcohol free zone.

Doubt that it will stop any one from drinking. If the BIB get serious then there will either be plenty of 'tea money', or they'll have to build a new jail for all the arrests.

Grab a canteen, put in some ice, beer to follow. There u have it. cold beer available all the time. Don't have to worry about getting water in the can or stuffing your pocket. and the BIB won't even know what you're drinking. :whistling:

He(the mayor) also asked for cooperation from the public and tourists alike not to drink alcohol as part of the alcohol free campaign, especially along the city moats, Thapae road, Ratchadmanoen road, Huay Kaew road, and others.

:cheesy: that'll be the day.

It may however impact people selling beer along the moat. That would be easier to police because those folks set up shop earlier in the morning, when you could drive a couple police trucks past and confiscate the lot for an awesome police party. ;)

Either way I plan to drink as usual. (Which already is in a manner that's not totally obvious; throwing water with beer in hand doesn't work, of course, so I won't have a beer in hand. )

Seeing Large Banners that read NO Alcohol around the Moat already. 6 Months in Prison and 10,000 baht fine if caught.

I saw the alcohol free zone signs but as for the prison and 10,000 baht bit I must have missed them or perhaps subconsciously not wanted to notice,

Seeing Large Banners that read NO Alcohol around the Moat already. 6 Months in Prison and 10,000 baht fine if caught.

In Thai, English or both?

The Thai version probably says 3 months and 5,000 Baht fine. :)

In Thai, English or both?

The Thai version probably says 3 months and 5,000 Baht fine. :)

thumbsup.gif

And quite right too.....have to stop all those drunken farang's from causing hundreds of deaths and thousands of accidents on the road each year.

So, for how many days does the craziness last? I enjoyed Songkran in Samui last year, but the water attacks were confined almost completely to the 13th.

I can't think of a reason to drive except that it goes on too long to avoid it, if you need supplies and such.

Thanks for the info.

So, for how many days does the craziness last? I enjoyed Songkran in Samui last year, but the water attacks were confined almost completely to the 13th.

I can't think of a reason to drive except that it goes on too long to avoid it, if you need supplies and such.

Thanks for the info.

last year the water tossing went like a full week here in CM....this will only be my 2nd time but I expect the random water hitting me starting next weekend and lasting the full week

Thought the alcohol was necessary to kill the bacteria from the moat water. :D

Believe they did have cordoned areas last year.

there were definitely non-drinking and smoking areas around the moat last year, under gazebo things. a mass ban of drinking around the moat is a ludicrous suggestion.

Thanks for the info.

I'll take a guess that it will start on the 11th and finish on the 17th depending on the weather, the hotter it is the earlier it will start

Thanks for the info.

I'll take a guess that it will start on the 11th and finish on the 17th depending on the weather, the hotter it is the earlier it will start

Well if it doesn't get any warmer, maybe it will only be 3-4 days then! Gaaah, I am not looking forward to the stream of ice water in the center of my back, or the bucket of icy water over my head, if it doesn't get any warmer than this...remember last year? Like a freakin' oven outside. Songkran was GREAT!

C'mon mother nature...stoke the fires!

If you want to be in alcohol free areas, your best bet is simply to stay out of the downtown areas. Each year I always enjoy the out of town roads like hiway 1001, Maejo and North :)

Edited by LJW

Don't know if they can really make an alcohol free around the moat .

One thing for sure is there will be a lots of alcohol+helmet+license checkpoint.

Usually the BIB go missing. They don't like to get their uniforms wet otherwise they really will be too tight after they've dried out!