Vientiane Hotels

mpdkorat

How much do you want to spend on the hotel?

There is a good restaurant by the fountian. During the week they have a lunch buffet. On the other side of the fountian is a french and an italian restaurant.

Vientiane usually closes down at 11pm but there are a few all night places through out the city.

Edited by richard10365

I have been to Vietianne once. Before I left BKK, I booked a hotel through the internet for 2 nights. When I arrived at the hotel I presented my e-mail confirmation voucher to the receptionist. He appeared very puzzled and after about 5 minutes of searching through his desk told me that I must be mistaken. He was certain that I hadn't made a reservation and after trying to explain the situation to him I realised that he was convinced he was correct and that I was the dumbass farang.

After this I decided to head to the area near the fountain and got a room for 15 dollars.

About 3 hours later my girlfriend and I were walking back to our hotel and were approached by a Laos guy. He told that our original hotel had found our booking confirmation and asked us if we would like to return to the hotel. He was politely told to stick his hotel up his arse.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that Laos is even less organised than Thailand. Probably best just to arrive in Laos and get a hotel when you get there. Also there was only one ATM in Vietienne and that didn't work. Luckilly I got me money back from my credit card for the hotel's balls up.

The best thing I thought about Vientienne was sitting by the river at sunset drinking a couple of Beer Laos. There is a really laid-back atmosphere and I found the locals to be friendly.

Edited by Spit the Dog

I usually stay on the road next to the fountian. Phone Preseuth I think is the name of the hotel. 660 baht/night. It's clean with air, hot water, ubc and close to some pretty good restaurants.

I have had a few meals by the Mekhong as well. If you can stand the misquitoes, its a very nice place to drink a beer as the sun is going down.

I liked the people there as well.

There is a good restaurant by the fountian. During the week they have a lunch buffet. On the other side of the fountian is a french and an italian restaurant.

Vientiane usually closes down at 11pm but there are a few all night places through out the city.

$25 $30 US. I just need a nice comfortable central clean place to stay really.

I just returned from Vientiane yesterday. I stayed at the Mongkol Hotel on the river, but don't think I'd stay there again mainly because the loacation was a bit far from the fountain, about a 20 minute walk. They charged 1000 baht, and included breakfast and cable tv.

There about 5 restaurants on the circle around the fountain, supposedly L'Opera is the best, but they were the only one that didn't display their menus outside so I assumed they were quite expensive. Instead, I tried the fixed-price lunch at a french restaurant 2 doors away, which was quite good. A fish fillet in a dill sauce, with salad and desert included, but dessert was disappointing. The lunch was $6 USD, plus another $6 for a half-carafe of the tasty house wine.

Another place I liked was the Full Moon Cafe, on a side street next to the Tai-Pan Hotel (which is on the river). They offered daily lunch specials for Lao, Chinese, and Vietnamese for about 140 baht. I tried the Lao, a very good chicken curry with noodles and salad. They have a happy hour from 5 to 7 where they offer a buy-one-get-one-free small pitcher of Beerlao for about 70 baht. The beer was very good, and I haven't had such good coffee for quite a while.

Thai baht and US dollars are accepted everywhere. If you have $30 USD, you can save 20% on the visa fee to enter Laos (they'll take either $30 or 1500 baht).

As previously noted, the town closes down around 11, and there seems to be a policeman stationed at every other street corner in the downtown area, some carrying automatic weapons.

There is a really big hotel next to the museum. It's the one with all the flags in front of it. It's not far from the fountian. That might be in that price range.

$30 is more than I usually like to spend. But it looks very nice.

There is a really big hotel next to the museum. It's the one with all the flags in front of it. It's not far from the fountian. That might be in that price range.

$30 is more than I usually like to spend. But it looks very nice.

Thanks. Off in about an hour. I'll let you know how I get on

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Vientiane. Will be staying 2 nights. Also anyone know any good bars and restaurants.

REPLYjava script:emoticon(':o')

A couple of years ago I stayed at a hotel called the CHALEUNXAY HOTEL. It is located near the American Embassy, not far from the Morning Market. The street is called Khouvieng Road. Only a few years old. Rooms were okay, big TVs, HW, A/C, not too bad at all. At that time it was around $15 or $20 for the night. No e-mail address for them on my old card, tel. #223407 or 222878, FAX 223529. Staff was very helpful, restaurant was okay.

Check out the Morning Market next door and pick up a BEER LAU T-shirt. A restaurant with an ex-pat from New York, called FRED'S CHICKEN HOUSE was not too bad. There is a few decent restaurants not too far from the U.S. Embassy. If you don't know what to order - order fried rice and you'll be okay! Wash your dinner down with a Beer Lao.

Have fun.

AL