Cathay Pacific - Must Show Credit Card

thohts

I took a flight out of BKK on Cathay Pacific.

The tickets (2) were purchased online about 8 days before travel. The charge had already been processed by the time I checked in at the airport.

For the purchase, I used a unique credit card number (generated online by my credit card company, a different number for every purchase). Of course, I didn't know that I had to show the credit card until I looked at my confirmation, after purchase, where it said that you MUST present the same credit card when checking in. All I had was a print-out of the online card. Never mind my passport showed the same name, along with the original card from the credit card company (which I never actually use in Thailand), and the fact that the online purchased had already been confirmed and deposited into their bank account.

Speaking to the reps and then the manager, I was told that there was no way I could board the flight without showing the same credit card that I used to purchase the ticket. (Those who do not have their credit card "go back home", the manager said. Nice guy, but it was a stupid thing to say...)

So, I ended up purchasing the same 2 tickets AGAIN with cash (I don't like using credit cards in Thailand). It'll take a few days before the charge is reversed on the card, but this has to be the stupidest check-in policy I've ever heard of. When I finally checked in, they didn't have any record of my reserved seats or vegetarian meal.

Needless to say I will NEVER be flying Cathay Pacific again. If one doesn't have the exact same credit card you used online, pay for it again or just turn around and GO BACK HOME.

AFAIK that is the normal policy for airline e-tickets brought by credit cards. This is what Cathay Pacific posts on there web site:

1. How do I pay for tickets purchased online?

Currently, we accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Diners Club and JCB.

Please note: The credit card used to pay for tickets must be presented by the cardholder at check-in, or when collecting the tickets. The cardholder does not need to book and travel. The carriage reserves the right to deny boarding or collect a guarantee payment (in cash or from a new credit card) should you fail to present the card originally used.

Certainly Virgin and BA have the same policy for e-tickets.

Unfortunately they've not caught up with the single-use card number technology just yet :o

A few complaints and they will probably implement something, maybe a word with your card company would be an idea, make CX aware of the problem.

Unfortunately they've not caught up with the single-use card number technology just yet  :o

A few complaints and they will probably implement something, maybe a word with your card company would be an idea, make CX aware of the problem.

I agree...such a practice is not good for business. I would complain in writing, maybe some voucher for free travel comes into the mail. Can't see Cathay insisting on the rule that caused you (and to others) such a disappointment in one of the (if not the very) best airlines.

Edited by think_too_mut

Actually, first time I even hear of a credit card with numbers for each purchase and doubt this can be obtained (yet?) in Thailand.

I use my Thai-Amex for on-line booking/payment and just present the same

card at check-in since, of course, I have no ticket and usually not evven print out the confirmation.

As long as the number on my card is the same as the one used on-line they do find my e-ticket and issue a boarding pass.

Unfortunately they've not caught up with the single-use card number technology just yet  :D

Have travelled with BA/ Qantas a dozen times in last 2 years and never been asked for my credit card or the e-ticket, although I have them on me. Just can't understand the logic from a security point of view if you have a passport in same name as booking :o Why don't they ask to see your credit card if you have a paper ticket?

This is the tic term condition on booking that i was looking at a couple of days ago on Singapore Air .

Passengers and payment details....

(is) The credit card holder is travelling on this booking:

Yes ....is OK

but..

No

Sorry, third-party bookings are not permitted for the itinerary you have selected.

Also in UK the likes of Ryanair and believe now Easyjet will insist on ID (passport best) even for internal flights.

If it gets me on my flight I will even show my Tufty Club card...

:o

I have had the opposite side of this scenario.

Some clowns has used my visa debit card (taking money from my UK bank account) for over 20 airline tickets on Air Asia and Bangkok Airways. I have no idea how he got hold of the number and both airlines confirmed that they have no policy (at that stage) for the credit card holder to be part of the travelling group. They had all the ticket details as Air Asia can pull up all bookings using the CC number - mostly domestic tickets but of course none of them in my name.

So, I for one say its a common sense policy, given that card company will just charge back to the airline all these tickets and say its fraud, they and I are not going to be responsible for the payments.

It is not security but fraud prevention. Just because a credit card has paid for a ticket does not mean payment can not be withdrawn and it surly will if credit card company gets a compliant. But someone could sell JB an e-ticket and pay with stolen card number and JB make flight before airline gets the bad news. So the idea is the same person who made reservation must either pick up hard copy tickets (where the card will be checked) or use the card when checking in for flight.

If my eticket shows that I, Mr. Herman Xelcius, has paid for the ticket and I present a passport along with another credit card that clearly shows my name, that should be good enough.

Cathay isn't saying the person to whom the credit card belongs has to show up, they say that the actual credit card used for the booking must be presented at time of check-in.

So, theoretically, someone could steal your credit card on Monday evening, purchase a flight for Tuesday morning, present your credit card with your name and their passport with their name and be off, without Cathay saying "Sorry.."

It just doesn't make sense.

If my eticket shows that I, Mr. Herman Xelcius, has paid for the ticket and I present a passport along with another credit card that clearly shows my name, that should be good enough.

Cathay isn't saying the person to whom the credit card belongs has to show up, they say that the actual credit card used for the booking must be presented at time of check-in.

So, theoretically, someone could steal your credit card on Monday evening, purchase a flight for Tuesday morning, present your credit card with your name and their passport with their name and be off, without Cathay saying "Sorry.."

It just doesn't make sense.

No you have got it wrong. Basically the airline are wanting to ensure that person paying for the trip is 1) one of the passengers & 2) brings that credit card along so that it can be cross ref'd to the passport or other form of ID. Its basically trying to cut down on the risk of fraud - SQ and others all have the same policy. Therefore you cannot buy tickets for another person using an airline website. You can of course go into a travel agency or airline office and buy a ticket for someone else, just not on the website. Reason is because of the scenario I described above. Now the odds of someone nicking your passport and credit card are smaller than just a credit card and then the check in agent supposedly checks the passport against the card and the ticket. Online sites do not always cross reference billing addresses either, so there is another potential loophole there which they have to take account of.

Incidentally, the CX website in Thailand is not as cheap as travel agencies who bulk buy tickets so your really better off just using a travel agent in Thailand.

The tickets (2) were purchased online about 8 days before travel. The charge had already been processed by the time I checked in at the airport.

For the purchase, I used a unique credit card number (generated online by my credit card company, a different number for every purchase). Of course, I didn't know that I had to show the credit card until I looked at my confirmation, after purchase, where it said that you MUST present the same credit card when checking in. All I had was a print-out of the online card. Never mind my passport showed the same name, along with the original card from the credit card company (which I never actually use in Thailand), and the fact that the online purchased had already been confirmed and deposited into their bank account.

Speaking to the reps and then the manager, I was told that there was no way I could board the flight without showing the same credit card that I used to purchase the ticket. (Those who do not have their credit card "go back home", the manager said. Nice guy, but it was a stupid thing to say...)

So, I ended up purchasing the same 2 tickets AGAIN with cash (I don't like using credit cards in Thailand). It'll take a few days before the charge is reversed on the card, but this has to be the stupidest check-in policy I've ever heard of. When I finally checked in, they didn't have any record of my reserved seats or vegetarian meal.

Needless to say I will NEVER be flying Cathay Pacific again. If one doesn't have the exact same credit card you used online, pay for it again or just turn around and GO BACK HOME.

REPLYjava script:emoticon(':o')

I had the same thing happen to me on China Airlines. Once they asked me in LAX (I was heading for Bangkok) luckily I had that card. This also happened a second time, six months later, in Bangkok - going back to LAX. They (CI) asked me for my credit card for that flight - told the lady you should have asked me in LAX, I've already used half of the flight up anyway! I had the card with me, after the first time they asked I always take that particular card with me.

I like the schedule China Airlines has, so I will put up with the B.S. China Airlines gets me to Asia from the U.S. in the daytime, unlike NWA or UA who get to Asia at around midnight.

FYI ---- I only keep my credit cards for emergencies overseas. Lots of travellers routinely use their credit cards in ATMs overseas, even for small withdrawals! Many cards have huge fees for using the cards overseas, the Visa and MC cards I keep with me charge $7.00 and $15 per transaction and at least two months interest . A lot of free "no fee" cards are like this. (They're okay for purchases at home and I always pay within 30 days.)

So if any of you use ATMs overseas check with your banks to see how much they charge per transaction - sure doesn't make sense to take out $10.00 and pay a $15.00 fee! In Thailand it costs 33 baht to cash a Travellers Check which is cheaper than the fee on most credit card/ATM withdrawals. Most credit unions back home will issue free Travellers Checks - don't get any small stuff - stick with the hundred dollar denominations (or your country's equivalents.)

Good luck

AL

I have never run across this policy and have done e-tickets domestic & international with a number of airlines. I would write them a letter explaining your experience as they clearly are behind the technology curve (I didn't know about the single use cc# either). Given Cathay's reputation they should do something to make amends.

As far as travellers checks, I can only get them issued for a 2.5% fee--even if getting $500 USD denominations. Using a debit card hold every advantage as far as I can see. I will never use travellers checks again even if there is no fee. It would be like deciding to choose a hand crank to start a car instead of a key; kind of outdated to me.

Sorry, this policy doesn't make any sense to me...why has to be the person who pays with the credit card be the same person that boards the flight? If I have to send an employee or business partner at my expenses to wherever in the world and I book the flight online I would not give them my credit card for obvious reason...how could they board the flight?

Sorry, this policy doesn't make any sense to me...why has to be the person who pays with the credit card be the same person that boards the flight? If I have to send an employee or business partner at my expenses to wherever in the world and I book the flight online I would not give them my credit card for obvious reason...how could they board the flight?

You would be expected to use a travel agent?

Phone/internet fraud using credit cards is a huge problem - and once that person takes a flight there is no option to reclaim merchandise or a shipping address to check; so the idea is to make sure the card used is really owned by the party travelling.

um, why didnt you have the card with you? Surely you dont have that many cards that you leave the majority behind or do you just use cash abroad?

Its not that an unreasonable request as others have said to help try and prevent fraud.

Thanks for the heads-up, thohts.

Phone/internet fraud using credit cards is a huge problem
Actually, first time I even hear of a credit card with numbers for each purchase and doubt this can be obtained (yet?) in Thailand.

The randomly generated credit card number program has been around for several years, at least at some US banks. MBNA Visa has something called "Shopsafe," where you log in on the Internet to your account, then have Shopsafe generate a random visa card number, where you designate desired expiration date and credit limit. Usually, this would be for a one-time purchase, so amount and expiration date would be accordingly. But if you expect similar future purchases of minor amounts -- or expect maybe a future credit -- you certainly can set up a longer lasting random account. Also generated is a random VVS number (that 3-digit doublecheck number found on the back of your credit card).

All random accounts are transparently rolled into your 'real' visa account -- and show up as one in your monthly billing cycle.

So, if you're like me (maybe unreasonably), and don't like to provide your Visa number and VVS number by mail or Internet, Shopsafe (and similar programs) would seem to add another layer of security. (But just wonder if companies like CX can attune(?).)

Sadly, MBNA is one of the latest credit card issuers to now charge 3% for international purchases, so I now keep it around soley for Internet purchases and its Shopsafe feature. For all else, I use USAA Mastercharge, which still charges only 1% for international purchases -- plus rebates 1% on all purchases. With all the charging we do, mainly for accounting purposes, this is worth a nice tidy $600/year. Credit Unions also have similar deals with their credit cards, so it pays to shop around.

Normally when you have made an i.t.n booking with an e-ticket you gotta use your C.C. anyway to generate a boarding pass from the atm type (assuming they have them) e-tic machines at the airport.

In some of the latest you can also use your F.F card or type in your booking code but CC confirmation seems most popular.

I first used one of these at London City airport about 10 years ago -off on jolly to the Dam-KLM and one of the most obvious advantages of the then new techknowledgy was the ability to reserve your seat on the screen before departure. :D

BMI at Heathrow now also have them as do Thai in check in at D.M domestic (Bk -CM)

As said above it would appear mainly as part of fraud provention and would think that when the new BIO whiz bang passports and ID cards start appearing things might be easier but still a case of who are you...PROVE it. :o

um, why didnt you have the card with you? Surely you dont have that many cards that you leave the majority behind or do you just use cash abroad?

Its not that an unreasonable request as others have said to help try and prevent fraud.

It sounds as though he did have the creditcard with him, at least the creditcard that was billed. But, because he used a random generated number, (issued by the creditcard company for that particular transaction) the number on the credit card did not match the "random number" that the Airline wanted. Hence the problem.

It sounds as though he did have the creditcard with him, at least the creditcard that was billed. But, because he used a random generated number, (issued by the creditcard company for that particular transaction) the number on the credit card did not match the "random number" that the Airline wanted. Hence the problem.

That's exactly it.

No card possible for the "random" number, no boarding pass until ticket is paid using other means.

I don't mind so much to show my card at check-in.

But....

Buy 1 get one free, outbound fly on these two tickets with your partner, inbound return on different flights.

So which card can your partner show, you left already with your card? :o

Could be solved different ways.

1. You show your credit card when you both check in together, the airline notes and associates your personal details and separate itineraries with the credit card, together with a 'green light' indication, which is visible to the check-in staff when you fly back. Hence no need for them to double check the credit card. (If the systems indeed are this compatible, which I do not know. The technology to achieve it is there though.)

2. The person who leaves first on the backleg of the flight, shows the credit card and informs the checkin staff that his/her companion will be checking in without this credit card, but "his/her personal details are the following - I can vouch for her/him".

I am sure there are other ways too.

There will be no requirement to show the CC again once initially presented.

Secondly, the cardholder does not have to travel, but may need to be the one presenting the card.

Most, if not all online bookings will have this clause in the terms and conditions, though many don't enforce it in practice.

Bought somebody an Eticket for LHR- Canada yesterday through Expedia UK.

Terms are to present passport and booking reference number only at check-in, or credit card if you want to conduct your own electronic self check-in.

Otherwise the purchasing credit card had to be presented ONLY if you were travelling with one of 3 airlines (can't remember them now).

I guess this means the other airlines are happy if their check-in person can actually look at your face and see your passport.

Bought somebody an Eticket for LHR- Canada yesterday through Expedia UK.

Terms are to present passport and booking reference number only at check-in, or credit card if you want to conduct your own electronic self check-in.

Otherwise the purchasing credit card had to be presented ONLY if you were travelling with one of 3 airlines (can't remember them now). 

I guess this means the other airlines are happy if their check-in person can actually look at your face and see your passport.

The airlines can get there money from Expedia (travel agent). It is when you book direct to airline that the credit card requirement is normally a factor.

Feel like Cathay's trying to screw me over. I know that's not really their intention, but after 10 days I'm still waiting for the promised chargeback to my credit card and for someone to contact me (already I've sent two messages to their online help; I'll try calling them again on Monday).

It's difficult for me to believe that they get such high service rankings.

Finally got some sense out of Cathay. They said they "finally found my booking" and now it will be *another* 2 weeks until the funds are charged back to my credit card. (They dropped the ball the first time)

Total time for refund: 27 days (Chargebacks should only take 7 days)

Needless to say, they've lost me and my whole family as customers.