Nine Killed, 65 Injured In Thai Highway Accident

webfact

I'm not your teacher - if you don't know about a subject why post on it.May I uggest you go and find out for yourself and then you'll be able to talk sensibly about it.......well maybe.

Hmmmm still not answered the question, and it isn't a case of student/teacher, just answer the question as one enquiring mind to another.

You can't can you. and resort to making belittling comments.

So, please, the question again, how is traffic engineering more important than basic driver education?

I'll answer it for you, it isn't.

I think the point being made is that no one thing can improve road safety. It starts with well designed, marked and constructed roads. Appropriate speed limits. Education of road users (cars, bikes and pedestrians). Finally the rules have to be sensibly enforced.

There are plenty of countries in the world who have better road safety figures. As an example the UK has a similar population but the number of road deaths per year is under 3000. I think in Thailand it's about 14,000. If that's wrong I'm sure someone can correct me. The expertise is out there in many countries but there are obstacles to this approach.

Firstly the government needs to accept it needs help and as we've seen recently regarding using western monitors in the forthcoming elections and the deputy PM's feeling that using them is surrendering to the west this seems unlikely. Despite the fact that western countries have a far better record in free and fair elections. It won't happen without a change of attitude.

Next you need a police force able to ensure that the rules are obeyed. I don't live in Thailand at the moment and on the 3 occasions I've been stopped they've been very professional. Most comments on here suggest otherwise.

Finally what do Thais want most? Less lives lost or to carry on doing things the way they want regardless of who gets killed or injured.

Ultimately it's down to them.

Edited by kimamey

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not your teacher - if you don't know about a subject why post on it.May I uggest you go and find out for yourself and then you'll be able to talk sensibly about it.......well maybe.

Hmmmm still not answered the question, and it isn't a case of student/teacher, just answer the question as one enquiring mind to another.

So, please, the question again, how is traffic engineering more important than basic driver education?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifSorry no takers on that.Why would anyone engage you in discussion on this when you are making statements about a traffic engineering that you have already admitted you don't know what it is?PS - how's the hangover?burp.gif

Edited by Deeral

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifSorry no takers on that.Why would anyone engage you in discussion on this when you are making statements about a traffic engineering that you have already admitted you don't know what it is?PS - how's the hangover?burp.gif

I am so happy that you are amused, small things eh.

If you would care to go back through this topic and find out where I admitted that I didn't know what traffic engineering was, you will probably find that I suggested that you pretend that I didn't know, this was to illicit a response from you, the expected response being your definition of it. This you have consistently failed to do, which as far as I am concerned means one of two things, you either are unable to answer the question or you have come to the conclusion that by answering the question your argument doesn't hold water.

And just for your benefit, I haven't had a hangover for many years now, my approach to alcohol is the same as my approach to driving i.e. a sensible one.

I am so happy that you are amused, small things eh.

If you would care to go back through this topic and find out where I admitted that I didn't know what traffic engineering was, you will probably find that I suggested that you pretend that I didn't know, this was to illicit a response from you, the expected response being your definition of it. This you have consistently failed to do, which as far as I am concerned means one of two things, you either are unable to answer the question or you have come to the conclusion that by answering the question your argument doesn't hold water.

And just for your benefit, I haven't had a hangover for many years now, my approach to alcohol is the same as my approach to driving i.e. a sensible one.

your powers of deduction seem to be on a par with your knowledge of traffic engineeringsmile.gif

I have just got back from Thailand, i was there I helped in the local Hospital, my wifes mother works there, 17 died, some where drowned when the bus overturned and went into a river/drain , some lost limbs. it was pitifully,the poor victims mostly Burmese had just finished a night shift and where on there way home, the sad thing is that most do not have the money to pay the medical bills, the Thai government will pay some but not all. the driver of the LGV ran off after he was help out of his cab, he has not been seen since, the police are looking for him, he was thought to have fallen asleep.