European Commission grants an additional $14.21 million aid to Japan

News_Editor

European Commission grants an additional $14.21 million aid to Japan

2011-04-05 05:18:45 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRUSSELS (BNO NEWS) -- European Commission on Monday granted an additional $14.21 million (€10 million) aid to Japan's humanitarian crisis caused by the earthquake and tsunami.

This sum will add to the initial funding of $7.1 million (€5 million) for a total of $21.32 million (€15 million). The funding decision was taken to help the Japanese population cope with the massive consequences of the twin disaster.

The new funding will provide assistance to more than 30,000 people, who live in temporary shelters and rely on aid for food, water, blankets and mattresses and other immediate provisions.

"We continue to stand by a brave friend in need," said European Commissioner for International Cooperation, humanitarian aid and Crisis Response Kristalina Georgieva. "I have no doubt Japan will emerge from this disaster more resilient."

In addition, the funding will allow the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) to distribute relief items to refugees and people evacuated in need.

"While we support the affected people, we need to also draw our conclusions and prepare for a world where disasters are both more frequent, and more destructive," added Georgieva.

The EU has supported Japan since the early hours of the March 11disaster. Japan asked for the EU to coordinate civil protection and humanitarian assistance. 18 of the European Civil Protection Mechanism Participating States have offered in-kind or financial assistance to Japan.

Since March 19, a 15-member EU Civil Protection team has been working in Japan. The experts have been working on solutions for the delivery of European assistance and have been coordinating the reception and onward transport of the aid in Japan.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-05

how generous.............

Perhaps it's all they can afford with likelyhood of having to bail out Portugal and even Spain, though I guess they could get round this issue by simply printing money out of thin air. :whistling:

there are other places in the world where they do so...:whistling:

How generous??....How much aid did Japan gave to the victims of WWII, decades AFTER the war??

I personally know of people who spent their time in the Japanese concentration camps in Indonesia; I could tell a few stories about the atrocities by Japanese soldiers and why they still refrain from informing their children about theREAL truth of WWII, especially also about the so called Comfort Girls.

I know for a FACT that they didn't get a dime (after being "used", thousands of times by countless soldiers!!!) so please don't tell me about generosity.

But no, Japan only informs their children about the A-bombs on "Hiroshima and Nagasaki" ...........not what THEY did.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo