Settlement Visa For Thai Kids

I'm english and my thai wife entered the uk on a spouse visa in march 2005. She has 2 kids aged 6 and 4 with her mum in issan. Now she is settled ok we want to bring them over but dunno where to start. We used an agent for her visa who was very good, thorough etc. The things I am pondering are such as....

1. Do we really need an agent for the kids or is it much easier to do than for my wife

2. What do we need to do

3. How do we get passport(s) for them

4. What will it cost (passports/visas)

5. What do we do

6. What criteria are the embassy looking to satisfy

7. How long will it take

I need to plan to keep down airplane costs etc

Thanks all. For anyone who remembers anything at all from a year ago we celebrated 1 year since meeting last week. Mrs is working here now and at college learning english. She still hasnt mastered he washing machine though ! :o

I'm english and my thai wife entered the uk on a spouse visa in march 2005. She has 2 kids aged 6 and 4 with her mum in issan. Now she is settled ok we want to bring them over but dunno where to start. We used an agent for her visa who was very good, thorough etc. The things I am pondering are such as....

1. Do we really need an agent for the kids or is it much easier to do than for my wife

2. What do we need to do

3. How do we get passport(s) for them

4. What will it cost (passports/visas)

5. What do we do

6. What criteria are the embassy looking to satisfy

7. How long will it take

I need to plan to keep down airplane costs etc

Thanks all. For anyone who remembers anything at all from a year ago we celebrated 1 year since meeting last week. Mrs is working here now and at college learning english. She still hasnt mastered he washing machine though !  :o

Scouse will no doubt fill you in with the finer points , but heres a few things.

My wife's son joined us in the UK just over 2 years ago , doing great btw.

1. No , now the Home office have a case it is easier by far .

2. Ask Scouse

3. Apply for Thai passports at your local Amphur, then the application needs to be submitted to the Thai Embassy, lots of paperwork required. THe most important being the permission of the Kids father, or a death certificate if he is deceased.

4. Ask Scouse - The fee changdes yearly , check the Brit Embassy w/site

5. Ask Scouse

6. They need to be sure that the kids are in your wife's custody , no interference from the ex-spouse , they need to be sure that your realtionship is still genuine , which after a year it should be. Proof of your living accomodation in the UK , enough rooms etc.

7. It took us about 3 months from the time his passport was issued to the date the visa was granted , all depends on how busy they are. My wife had to attend an interview in Bangers and the visa was given the same day.

One point of note , did your wife admit to having 2 kids in her Settlement interview? Mine did not and this caused a few problems to say the least....

Ask scouse on all of the above points as my details may be a bit sketchy.

:D

To carry on where Chonners left off:-

2. Get passports, collate your supporting evidence, fill in the application forms and make the application. This can be done either in person or by post. If you do it by post, then I advise contacting the embassy to see how they want paying.

4. Visas £260.00 per applicant (payable in local currency). I'm not sure of the cost of a Thai passport: perhaps 1500 baht per person.

5. It will probably involve some leg work by your mother-in-law, who will probably have to take the kids to BKK for an interview. Basically, make the application and await notification of an interview date.

For further info, check out this other thread.

Scouse.

Thanks both of you.

The kids were declared at my wifes interview. She separated (never legally married) 3-4 years ago she has had custody from day 1. Will it still need his consent even though never married? I think they 'get on ok but never speak!' ie no disputes etc just split and went their own ways - I dont think he's contacted wife or kids for years.

We go to Bkk in november for 2 weeks. Maybe good idea to get passports and do the app then and plan my next visit around the interview date ?

Shrek , I think the embassy will require some paperwork to indicate that the kids father doesn't have any custody , it may depend on the interviewer but best to be safe. I would email the consulate/embassy with some questions , I did this and they were helpful. I think you need to make separate applications for each child but they will/ should be dealt with in the same case.

Here's the website Embassy

:o

Shrek , I think the embassy will require some paperwork to indicate that the kids father doesn't have any custody , it may depend on the interviewer but best to be safe. I would email the consulate/embassy with some questions , I did this and they were helpful.  I think you need to make separate applications for each child but they will/ should be dealt with in the same case.

Here's the website Embassy

:o

Cheers matey.

Shrek , I think the embassy will require some paperwork to indicate that the kids father doesn't have any custody........
From How can I qualify to join my parents in the UK?
A child cannot normally go to live in the UK if one parent is living abroad, unless the parent in the UK has sole responsibility for the child, or if there are special reasons why the child should be allowed to join the parent in the UK.
Shrek, is the father named on the birth certificate? If he is not, then you should not have a problem, but if he is.............

Before issuing a visa to the children the ECO will need to see either the natural father's death certificate or sole custody papers issued by an Ampur or court. To get the papers from an Ampur both parents need to attend and give their consent. If this is not possible then your wife will need to go to court. Be warned, my wife was in a similar position and it took her nearly 2 years to get the court to grant her sole custody.

Once she has sole custody, the rest should be straightforward. You will need to make separate applications, and pay the fee, for each child, but they will be considered together. Basically, provided you show that they can be accommodated suitably (no sharing of bedroom if a boy and girl and one is over 10) and supported without recourse to public funds, then the visa should be a formality.

But you need that sole custody!