Rental Versys, First Customer Crashed The Bike

Vent to a rental-shop in koh chang a mounth ago, to see what new bikes he gotten in. The owner told me that he where getting two brand new versys in a couple of weeks time. Three weeks later I went back to see the bikes. One was rented out and the other one was crashed (with a lot of damage). First customer who rented it used the front brake to hard, so it slided and fell (don't know how fast i went when he did it), but a lot of damage. The bike had only done 700 km. Shit happens :rolleyes:

Anyone knowing the going rate for hiring a versys?

Lets guess how he crashed it... I think a guy who has never ridden a big bike before... Racing down the road, gravel in the road or some diesel spill... Slam the front brake and i do not think the abs will help you... Hope he was not to badly injured...

Probably going too fast and slammed the front brake. Bike kept going and crashed into something. When you crash into something, it is usually serious damage with or without abs.

Figured that our all by yourself did ya? :passifier:

I guess he was the renter! laugh.gif

It is not possible to lock up the front wheel of an ABS equipped mc... Wonder how he really crashed it. :whistling:

Yeah but as several of us had a discussion here some time ago, in a corner, the benefit of ABS diminishes the greater the lean into the corner. It's not the same as on a car. I.E. if your coefficient of friction due to lateral forces is approaching 0, ABS is of no use. It's great to have in a straight or nearly straight panic stop, as I have discovered on numerous occasions. :unsure:

Yeah but as several of us had a discussion here some time ago, in a corner, the benefit of ABS diminishes the greater the lean into the corner. It's not the same as on a car. I.E. if your coefficient of friction due to lateral forces is approaching 0, ABS is of no use. It's great to have in a straight or nearly straight panic stop, as I have discovered on numerous occasions. :unsure:

Older riders will remember when bikes used to stand up when braking in a corner and consequently learned to do all the heavy braking before the corner, and if necessary drag the brake back brake a bit on the way through. I still use this technique on modern bikes and tyres. New tech is great and I love my ABS, but at the same time the lessons learned on old tech taught me to be a better and smoother rider

Snowflake said guess, not figure.

Probably going too fast and slammed the front brake. Bike kept going and crashed into something. When you crash into something, it is usually serious damage with or without abs.

Figured that our all by yourself did ya? :passifier:

Older riders will remember when bikes used to stand up when braking in a corner and consequently learned to do all the heavy braking before the corner, and if necessary drag the brake back brake a bit on the way through. I still use this technique on modern bikes and tyres. New tech is great and I love my ABS, but at the same time the lessons learned on old tech taught me to be a better and smoother rider

Don't have to be older riders to pick up that habit. I always brake before the turn never in it, make more sense. ABS is there if you need it, but it's not something I want to rely on all the time. All it does is prevent the brakes from locking up, I would rather not be in a situation to cause that in the first place.

• 1 month later...

It is not possible to lock up the front wheel of an ABS equipped mc... Wonder how he really crashed it. :whistling:

That's true of car ABS too. I've managed to slide my ABS-equipped Fortuner in steep corners. The lesson learned is: If you think you're about to engage the ABS, turn the wheels straight first. ABS doesn't help you when the tires slide sideways. I think what happens is that the tires slow down and don't block, but because they're turned, and you're slowing down too much, they start sliding sideways. No ABS for that ...

It's the same on a motorcycle.

A friend of mine recently told me that what you do when losing grip in a corner is to pull the clutch and ride it out; no brakes, no acceleration. Hoping to get on a test track some day to try it out...

Edited by nikster

A friend of mine recently told me that what you do when losing grip in a corner is to pull the clutch and ride it out; no brakes, no acceleration. Hoping to get on a test track some day to try it out...

The above description is of an understeer condition. To correct ...

Apply throttle, transition to oversteer - when the rear tire comes around - now you are pointing in the direction you wish to go. Hit the throttle. Like a dirttracker.

You have to be quick tho' - or you will run out of road

Anyone that has ridden around Koh Chang knows for sure, that it isnt a road for newbie inexperienced riders on a bigger cc bike.

Even for an experienced rider, u must be extremly cautous, to avoid all the stupid first time rideres on rented bikes.

Apply throttle, transition to oversteer - when the rear tire comes around - now you are pointing in the direction you wish to go. Hit the throttle. Like a dirttracker.

Not the way he said it - he was very clear on this. No acceleration. This is for emergency use on a roadbike when you lose traction in a corner.

I suppose if you're "quick" and an experienced dirt bike rider, you can do other things - ride it like a dirt bike. But for those of us who have no dirt experience and just need an easy and safe way out pulling the clutch sounds much more practical in an emergency. Anyway I don't really know how well it will work until I've tried it...

Anyone that has ridden around Koh Chang knows for sure, that it isnt a road for newbie inexperienced riders on a bigger cc bike.

Even for an experienced rider, u must be extremly cautous, to avoid all the stupid first time rideres on rented bikes.

True going around Ko Chang on a scooter I never had the feeling it would be safe to go faster than the little Fino would go... bad visibility in most places, bad roads, the usual crazy Thai traffic (people parked behind corners etc)... not much use renting a big bike there?!

Not the way he said it - he was very clear on this. No acceleration. This is for emergency use on a roadbike when you lose traction in a corner.

I suppose if you're "quick" and an experienced dirt bike rider, you can do other things - ride it like a dirt bike. But for those of us who have no dirt experience and just need an easy and safe way out pulling the clutch sounds much more practical in an emergency. Anyway I don't really know how well it will work until I've tried it...

Depends a lot on which end has lost traction... If it's the rear you need to stay on the gas or risk a high side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPIHfg3KJEY&NR=1

I'm no expert, but here's what I've been told: Regardless of which end is sliding, proper action is to stay smooth on the throttle and reduce lean angle, either by straightening your line or by hanging off.

Of course, easier said than done and I think there's a reason why dirt riders do so well on race bikes- they've got a lot more experience with slides.

Yep, that is my way of doing business as well. Never had the pleasure of ABS, but I honestly don't need it. I've been in some pretty tricky and sticky situation and come out unscathed, some of it definitely luck and I hope to keep lucking out. Fingers crossed it stays that way :lol: :jap:

Edited by Garry

tell me about it. :annoyed: