Yamaha Nouvo Elegance Or The Honda Pcxi.

howard251

I have a 4 year old Honda Airblade and have decided to get a new motorbike. The choices were narrowed down to the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance or the Honda PCXi.

The Yamaha killer for me was when the dealer told me there is no factory Yamaha alarm system for this bike and if I added one on my own, it would immediately void the warranty. It would be considered an electrical modification. Yes you can say to buy the top insurance product to protect yourself against theft and I always buy that, but I think it's a consumers right to add an alarm as a deterrent no matter how effective you think they are or not.

So now it's down to the Honda PCXi, but that too reveals a surprise when talking to the Honda dealer salesman. The 110cc engine on my Airblade can go as fast as 100 Kph on the super highway as the maximum speed. Since the PCXi has a 125cc engine I thought it would be quicker then the Airblade. The salesman said he tested the PCXi on the super highway and the top speed was 100Kph, same as my 4 year old Airblade. The salesman told me of some Thai law, not sure it's true or not. He said they stop motorbikes made in Thailand from going faster then 100Kph using a governor device, is that true?

He said the stronger engine on the PCXi will get you away from the crowd the quickest when the light turns green, but in overall highway speeds, it will be the same as my 4 year old Honda Airblade. From PCXi owners out there, is there any truth to this?

Another thing I am concerned about, as you all know, the smaller motorbike riders like to travel between the cars at red lights to get to the front of the line. The Honda PCXi is a wider bigger bike and so I am thinking it will be harder to maneuver then the smaller bikes can?

Another question, my older Airblade most of the time when I ride it is at 80% of power and that drinks the benzine out of the tank just as quick as a Fortuner SUV. It actually costs me a lot more money to ride my older Airblade because it only uses 91 benzene. I am sure if I kept the speed down to 40Kph I would experience a lot more gas savings and better fuel economy.

So another question to Honda PCXi owners. Since it's got a 125cc engine, if you keep the throttle at 80% or more, will this also make it drink gas like a big SUV? I know it can run on the cheaper E20 and 91 Gasohol and that is a savings.

I also know my older Airblade uses a carburetor and the newer bikes have electronic fuel injection, maybe that alone will give better gas millage at highway speeds?

What is the advantage of a bigger engine bike if it can't go any faster then the 110cc bikes or drink less gas?

Thanks for your input in advance to help me decide on what type of a bike to buy.

Edited by howard251

I have rented a PCX this month to test it out before I buy one. It gets great gas mileage on the highway and feels very stable. If I buy a scooter it will be this one. I love the anti-theft alarm system and idle stop, both great for Pattaya. Hate the bump thing on the seat, but removed that easily the first day(will have a custom seat made if I buy one).

But I don't and wouldn't drive any scooter anywhere close to 100 kph, thats suicide. I would consider getting a real bike, cbr250r, if you are concerned about having a top highway speed of 100kph. Don't drive like the Thais just because they do it or you'll regret it, most thai people have wicked scars and injuries from uneducated and poor driving habits.

I am have two Honda PCXs - one in Thailand and one in Switzerland. I don't know the Yamaha Nouvo.

Before buying the PCX I tried some of the scooters available here, but all them are more "mopeds" than "bikes" too me. The PCX is the first European style scooter available in Thailand. I chose it because of its style and because it has a newly developed engine. Most of the other scooters have quite old-fashioned engines. The manufactures only changes the "clothes" (plastic parts) when announcing a new model...

The top-speed of the PCX might be not the highest. I am living in the Hua Hin area where a top-speed of 100 km/h is enough. I don't drive on the motorways. Where the top-speed of the PCX might be not he best, its acceleration and performance in a hilly country-side is very good. Many friends thought the PC must have a 175 cc engine.

I also like its very stable chassis and the good brakes. It is heavier that other scooters which makes the PCX not so practical for Thai people.

The start-idling system is fantastic and extremely quick. You are always the first at a red light, even when the motor was idle! The fuel consumption is about 2.2 litres for 100 km in Switzerland and about 2.5 to 3 litres in Thailand (depends on who drives and how much full-throttle percentage).

The top speed of the PCX is governed.....I believe the figure quoted is 108 kmph. You can get around this with a modified ECU. They are available should you wish to do this.

I personally ride mine quite often at 100 kmph on some decent roads in Thonburi, Bangkok. The PCX always feels extremely stable.....more so than the 135cc Nouvo, which I have also had.

The PCX is not as 'nimble' as the Nouvo when snaking through stood trafic but I have never been 'stuck' between traffic either.

I use 91 benzine in mine. I have never really looked at the figures but I did completely fill my tank (from empty) and that cost 215 baht. I travelled exactly 220 kms on that tank with a little left in reserve.....possibly 1/2 litre.

Mine is pretty fast away at the lights......but I also have a non-standard air filter and custom 'OVER' exhaust from Japan fitted. I think the 'idle stop' on the bike is excellent. Lighting is superb at night.

All in all.......highly delighted with mine.

Edited by Phatcharanan

A scooter in Thailand... over 100kph... throttle 80% most of the time... sounds like you need life insurance more than you need theft insurance!

Seriously, test ride/hire the two. Both are good, get the one that feels most comfortable to ride for you. Get the PCX if the anti theft is that important.

If you had gone back a few threads you would have seen my shootout between the PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance that most likely would have answered all your questions with the exception of the one about theft. Fuel economy, handling, road worthiness, ride and speed issues are all there. My shootout with my Elegance pitted against my friend's PCX is on the road from Pattaya to Rayong. Per, the PCX owner has a good friend, Kjell, who often makes the same trip with him on his Air Blade rental. The Air Blade is totally outclassed by the PCX as it is by the Nouvo Elegance as well. Won't stay with either bike on the hills for once thing.

Now...as to your concerns about theft, a German condo resident here had his PCX stolen in the parking lot at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. He replaced his PCX with a Honda Scoopy after his dealership told him he'd have a big change of getting any PCX replacement stolen no matter where he parked it. As for the security alarm on the PCX the sound is hardly audible so it's virtually worthless. So as far as theft you are better off with the Nouvo Elegance without an alarm than you are with a PCX with the alarm system enabled.

If you had gone back a few threads you would have seen my shootout between the PCX and the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance that most likely would have answered all your questions with the exception of the one about theft. Fuel economy, handling, road worthiness, ride and speed issues are all there. My shootout with my Elegance pitted against my friend's PCX is on the road from Pattaya to Rayong. Per, the PCX owner has a good friend, Kjell, who often makes the same trip with him on his Air Blade rental. The Air Blade is totally outclassed by the PCX as it is by the Nouvo Elegance as well. Won't stay with either bike on the hills for one thing.

Now...as to your concerns about theft, a German condo resident here had his PCX stolen in the parking lot at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital. He replaced his PCX with a Honda Scoopy after his dealership told him he'd face a big risk of getting any PCX replacement stolen no matter where he parked it. As for the security alarm on the PCX the sound is hardly audible so it's virtually worthless. So as far as theft you are better off with the Nouvo Elegance without an alarm than you are with a PCX with the alarm system enabled.

Edited by jackcorbett

Both bikes are excellent values at their relative price points, the PCX being considerably more expensive; in fact, some dealers are charging more for them than the suggested price.

Still, you get what you pay for. The Honda is the better bike, more comfortable in cruise, quick from the line, and virtuous in many other ways, except, as mentioned, maneuvering among stopped rows of cars or parking at a mall - there, it is noticeably larger. It is true that owners compensate and come to adapt, but weaving and snaking is not so easy at all in town, no matter how much owners love them. Another consideration might be that Honda is the brand with the highest respect among Thais and might keep its value a little better.

Whichever bike you select, you will be delighted with the fuel costs. Both relish gasahol 91, and both are fuel efficient; in fact, the Elegance is surprisingly frugal for a bike without fuel injection, while the Honda's design is almost overkill in order to attain better mileage. It is, if you are interested in a cruise greater than 100, easy to modify or have modified after reading articles on this forum, using our search function. (Still, a 125 is a 125.)

The suggestion that you rent both is in my view the best of all. After all, we're talking about a 10-14K difference in price. An alarm, of course, might be worthwhile on the PCX as I'm guessing that they are favourites with thieves. There is also the consideration of the combi-brake on Honda, something of a safety feature that might, might, prevent locking the front wheel one day in an emergency.

I agree that Jack Corbett's thread is indeed informative. Accurate too in its conclusions, I believe, both times.

Edited by CMX

Yep, it's mostly all in the other thread.

This may seem an odd bit of advice but why don't you just keep the Airblade and modify it?

You could first give it a cheap overhaul: new fluids, brake pads and rotor, new variator weights, and a new drivebelt.

Then if you have lots of mileage, rebuild the cylinder with a bigbore and get a high performance carb and air filter.

Then it will be faster and nimbler in traffic than any new Nouvo or PCX.

Yet it will look old, so you don't have to care so much about it being stolen or wrecked.

If you must have only one scooter and it has to be new, buy the Yamaha and a Xena alarm disc lock (at Panda Rider).

The Xena alarms are pretty loud but a few guys can lift any scooter and throw it in the back of a pickup so chain it down if you really don't want it stolen.

I have always been a Nouvo guy, got one of the first in Phuket (i was told) and my MX i bought that one around 5 or 6 years ago, yesterday i tried the PCX for the first time, PCX is a lot better than the Nouvo MX for sure (don’t know about the 135cc Nouvo) very easy to handle, good power a little quicker than my MX , even going 100 feels much better than the MX, i could go on but no need for that, i now got the PCX and Yamaha really have to come up with something very good before i go back, never thought i should say that after so many years with Nouvo.

Now i just need it to go a little faster and quicker from 0-130KM/H :) (joke)

PCX is so much better, OK I'm biase on this one. But the seat is more comfortable than the Nouvo, being almost a cruiser style seat. I don't feel like I'm over the top of the bike as much. And I love the leg room, plenty of room to stretch your legs.

It is a little heavy to move through traffic particularly at the lights, but that weight is off-set by the power of the little 125, great of the block. however it does lack in top end speed and acceleration. Mainly after around 70kph it tends to flat line, requiring more throttle input.

As for the gas mileage. Typically I ride around 70-80kph (am in CM and mainly on the super hiway), getting around 200km for approx 160baht in gas. So not too bad at all.

I've never ridden a PCX so I can't compare comfort but I can say for a 95kg guy like me, the NE's seat is not the most comfortable on long rides. The front of the seat narrows a lot to aid its nimble behavior but comfort is the penalty. Its never been so bad that I want to change it, I just shift positions and that helps.

My friend got his NE's seat modded to be wider for only 300 baht at one of the many seat shops in BKK.

[...] Get the PCX if the anti theft is that important.

The PCX anti-theft device is a toy or gadget.

The systems horn about 10 seconds when the bike is a little moved, that's all. This can also happen when the person parking next to your PCX only touches it when driving away.

It is also interesting that the European versions of the PCX are delivered without the anti-theft system. It is not even available as an option.

I used the ant-theft system a couple of weeks but now no more.