Buying Condo - Check List Prior To Purchase

I am planning to buy condominium in Bangkok and now consider second hand ones as the main target group, i.e. buying from private owners rather than a developer. Condo's might be of varying quality and legal issues to my understanding are not as clear as with developers.

For example, how can it be checked that there is no outstanding loan taking out on the condo you are planning to buy (once location and orientation of windows/condo is acceptable)? Is this information hold at the Land Department?

As a start of a checklist others that might come into mind in general about the condo project:

- name of developer (background check reputation)

- name of management company (background check reputation)

- land ownership status (common areas owned by condo owners)

- near-by building going to be developed

And about condo itself:

- condition of condo (any specific signs to look out for?)

- parking space owned?

- working of all electronic appliances

- etc

I am sure I am missing some important factors...

I would also request a copy of the Rule and Regulations.

Particular those Rules that deal with the behavior of the Co -owners -Tenants -Guests

And satisfy yourself that they are acceptable to you and your family and that there is an effective way(detailed in the rules) of dealing with those who choose to ignore the rules.

Also this 'effective way' must -in my opinion should have a 'Beginning -Middle -End ' within a7-10 day time frame.

If it just has a' Beginning' and and' Middle' and a 'Middle' and a 'Middle' -with no' End' in sight-then this could potentially be a recipe for un- happiness for you and your family

Request a copy of recent AGM/EGM Minutes.

This will give you a sense of the professionalism of the Management and the Committee

Their role in life is to produce Happy Customers(ie co -owners) Are they achieving this?

(committee meeting rules are typically not in the public domain _AGM/EGM should be upon request)