Excess Baggage To Thailand

JusticeFT96

Hello there,

I am about to head back to Thailand in a few weeks and bring most of my belongings with me, I usually travel to Florida and each time I have had an extra bag I have only had to pay about $75 to bring it on the plane, however when I went to book my flight just now it worked out at nearly £1500 if I want to bring 2 extra cases with me :(

Does anyone know or has used before the services of unacompanied excess baggage or anything similar? I live in Surin so I would prefer if they had a door to door service rather than me having to travel to Bangkok again to pick it up unless they are quick enough to send and I can collect from storage when I get there myself as I leave on the 27th of this month.

Can anyone offer me any advice no this please as I am at a loss here, I cant be paying £1500 for 2 suitcases but I want to bring over some things from the UK that I cannot buy in Thailand.

Cheers

Al

Post needs more details - where are you flying from, which airline; would help with replies.

IF flyingThai airways they have extra allowances of up to 20 kg for frequent flyers. Or you can cargo it on the same flight for reduced costs, but you may have to check it 1 or 2 days before the flight as cargo for that flight.

So then are you a Frequent Flyer member with any airline/s. FF's normally get 20k or min 10 k extra plus possible cheap cargo rates.

Also have you asked them, Emirates, about sending your bags cargo on the same flight ??? Some airlines allow this at a discount BUT you have to check the cargo in a day or so earlier than yourself..

Thanks for the info, I am a frequent flyer silver member with Virgin but thats no help really, I know they are associated with Singapore Air but I dont know if that would make any difference or not. I might give emirates a call and see what they can do

It depends which FF program they are affilliated with. Which Virgin is it (atlantic, America , Blue )?? Singapore Air are part of Star Alliance (as is Thai) and FF members are permitted extra baggage allowance.

Example : i have been a Thai airways Gold card holder for 10 years (thats a Star Alliance membership) and no matter I fly with Thai , Singapore airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier I have never been charged for Excess baggage up to about 30kg extra.

. Mind you the other thing about excess baggage is it relates to the fare each passenger pays for their ticket - ie: if you pay full price ticket and have a few kilos extra they are unlikely to charge you BUt if you are on a promo or cheapy ticket they will charge for sure.

But the FF membership seems to override that factor.

Oh ! as an alternative you might try calling a Cargo company and ask them as well, as often they have cheaper rates than the airlines direct. If so just tell thme which flight you want it to go on so it all arrives with you on the same plane. Or send it the flight before and tell them you will collect it at the cargo desk on arrival and it will be there waiting for you (this may be better as cargo clearance on some airlines can take a while).

Anyway good luck.

Have you considered sending your things by sea ? I do not know how long you are staying for in Thailand so it may not help. However when I moved out here I shipped four very large boxes from a shippig agent in Hull total time was just around 33 days and cost 100 pound sterling or around 160 USI picked the boxes up from customs near to swampy at no cost, I got theshipping agent from UK yellow pages it was all straight forward.

Have you considered sending your things by sea ? I do not know how long you are staying for in Thailand so it may not help. However when I moved out here I shipped four very large boxes from a shippig agent in Hull total time was just around 33 days and cost 100 pound sterling or around 160 USI picked the boxes up from customs near to swampy at no cost, I got theshipping agent from UK yellow pages it was all straight forward.

Hi, That is interesting. How long ago was that please?

jb1

How about mailing the items to yourself? We did that when we moved here with anything that wasn't breakable and would fit into a U.S. priority mail box. No duties. I don't think the boxes were even inspected. We mailed them two days before we left the U.S. and they arrived, to our hotel lobby, about a week after us. Definitely door-to-door service.

I have been onto emirates cargo and I dont know if I have filled out the form properly for a quote but its worked out at about £144 for 2 suitcases which if that is correct would be great! I am going to phone them up when I find out the exact weight of my 2 extra suitcases.

Its Virgin Atlantic I am a FF with, I am silver and have a lot of points but I was going to use them for a free upper class flight to america next year. I did look at using them on singapore air but it seems that they wont allow you to spend miles on 1st class or business class any more :(

Edited by JusticeFT96

Say what you will about dollars/pounds/euros... There is not much greater feeling than to see ALL your bags excess or otherwise pop onto the baggage carousel and then smile your way through the Green Customs Channel at BKK.