Great New Chinese Restaurant

manarak

Those who read my occasional posts know I am always on the lookout for good eateries.

I was heading to Central Festival to eat some sushi and passing through soi Lengkee.

Half through the soi the sight of that new restaurant made me hit my brakes to go read the menu.

At the same time I had a look on the other guests' plates and I liked what I saw, so I sat.

Tables have clean white table cloth on them, real cloth napkins, and the rest of cutlery and porcelain made an impression of quality.

I immediately was brought some chinese crackers.

As this seemed to be a rare find in Pattaya, I was compelled to take some pics which I will share here.

Prices on the menu were reasonable, I ordered starters mix and crispy chicken.

Portions were big and yummy, and together with the resonable prices this makes really good value.

Chang at 50 baht.

The starters were yummy, including the best spring roll I have eaten in a long time.

I took a pix, starters, 3 sauces... 140 baht.

And I must confess I would have had enough with the starters!

At the end of the meal the chef "Moon" came over for a chat.

He's a Hong Kong Chinese who has worked in UK before, and then the manager also came and I said I would make some more pix.

I haven't been paid in any way for my post, I just want this place to be successful, because the food is good, the restaurant is nice, the kitchen is clean and the prices reasonable.

I understood they open in about a week a small hotel with 12 rooms too.

post-67243-0-75342000-1302083906_thumb.j

post-67243-0-75188300-1302083918_thumb.j

post-67243-0-43161400-1302083934_thumb.j

post-67243-0-60170100-1302083990_thumb.j

post-67243-0-22506900-1302084000_thumb.j

post-67243-0-37544600-1302084014_thumb.j

post-67243-0-05240900-1302084026_thumb.j

post-67243-0-85907100-1302084064_thumb.j

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only hope what drove down other great places in the past won't happen here:

- change the chef

- price hike

- improve the gross margin through reducing quantity and quality of food

...and they should get that sign flying high above the soi, so that it can be seen from soi Buakhow

Edited by manarak

- change the chef

- price hike

...and they should get that sign flying high above the soi, so that it can be seen from soi Buakhow

Hi,

My name is Ian and I am the owner of the China Garden, dont worry our chef Moon (Hong Kong / English) will be with us for the long term (min 2 years) and we have no intention of cutting any corners in our pursuit of offering Pattaya the most authentic Western Style Chinese food.

I hope many of you come down and sample our food and I look forward seeing you.

Warm Regards,

Ian

Is there any chance of seeing a menu? Will you deliver to the Darkside?

- change the chef

- price hike

Hi,

My name is Ian and I am the owner of the China Garden, dont worry our chef Moon (Hong Kong / English) will be with us for the long term (min 2 years) and we have no intention of cutting any corners in our pursuit of offering Pattaya the most authentic Western Style Chinese food.

Warm Regards,

Ian

- change the chef

- price hike

Hi,

Warm Regards,

Ian

Oh, thanks for clarifying that it is "Western Style Chinese" as opposed to authentic Cantonese/Chinese. I was rather hoping it would be the latter.

- change the chef

- price hike

Hi,

Warm Regards,

Ian

where exactly is the restaurant located and is there easy parking????

- change the chef

- price hike

Hi,

Warm Regards,

Ian

Oh, thanks for clarifying that it is "Western Style Chinese" as opposed to authentic Cantonese/Chinese. I was rather hoping it would be the latter.

Our chef is from Hong Kong originally and his father taught him to cook, he worked in later life in restaurants in the UK so our food is a blend of both UK and Hong Kong food. I will post the menu a little later.

- change the chef

- price hike

Hi,

Warm Regards,

Ian

where exactly is the restaurant located and is there easy parking????

We are half way up Soi Lengkee, motorcycle parking is fine and usually enough room for a car

post-128824-0-50357600-1302155260_thumb.

- change the chef

- price hike

Hi,

Warm Regards,

Ian

Our chef is from Hong Kong originally and his father taught him to cook, he worked in later life in restaurants in the UK so our food is a blend of both UK and Hong Kong food. I will post the menu a little later.

Please don't post the menu here as only sponsors are allowed to promote their product on the forum.

Best of both. Sounds good. :thumbsup:

I see this place every evening on my regular nightly stroll and was following progress whilst it was being fitted-out. Since it opened it has always been pretty full whenever I pass. Very attractive wall fountain and good quality linen and fittings.

I also noticed in passing that the portions seemed quite large, though as I'm not a big fan of Chinese food (not spicy enough for me) I haven't tried it personally.

Also I'm kineow and hardly ever spend more than 100B on a meal, which rather rules it out. :whistling:

It's more or less next door to the fish and chip place.

Edited by Darrel

I look forward to trying it in next couple of days. I hope it is UK style as Chineese food in China is far inferior to their food done in the civilised world. Just the same as Indian food. I've just come back from Dehli and the Indian food even here in Thailand is much superior to the muck they sell over there!

Edited by dogtim

This new place has a website but not finished yet and no menu posted. By all means, post a menu on your website.

Also this comment from there --

Once all building work has been completed we will offer a lunch time buffet at a set price and a “take away & delivery service”

So when does the lunch buffet start?

I look forward to trying it in next couple of days. I hope it is UK style as Chineese food in China is far inferior to their food done in the civilised world. Just the same as Indian food. I've just come back from Dehli and the Indian food even here in Thailand is much superior to the muck they sell over there!

This incredible statement leaves me... speechless, krap. (You're joking, right?)

It is not, IMHO, Western style but English style Chinese

That will be why there were so many people eating there then. Lots of British farangs in that area and nearly all of them seem to like (and miss) a "proper" UK-style Chinese meal. Sounds like the owner has targeted his market well.

This incredible statement leaves me... speechless, krap. (You're joking, right?)

No duck lips or pigs uterus soup on the menu then? Cannot get a nice bit of lower colon to go with your chicken feet or sauteed spleen?:(

Beef with ginger with spring onions will do nicely and some of those spicey spare ribs where the meat falls off the bone :jap:

No duck lips or pigs uterus soup on the menu then? Cannot get a nice bit of lower colon to go with your chicken feet or sauteed spleen?:(

Beef with ginger with spring onions will do nicely and some of those spicey spare ribs where the meat falls off the bone :jap:

Ok, ok- you're right Khun Oink. There's a lot of amazing & bizarre foods in China. But, Chinese food is an unbelievable and huge menu/array of dishes, simple to complex. And great Chinese food in China is an eye-opening and fantastic cuisine everyone should try... especially before making wild generalizations. I think if you love Chinese food in your home country, and you go to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong... almost any area of China- you'll find the real thing to be super-delicious. Like any Asian country, if there are things on the menu that don't sound or look good to a foreginer, then you don't order them. Go for the beef with ginger & spring onions (best I've had was in Hong Kong, by the way).

B)

post-72929-0-22625400-1302259468_thumb.j

I would probably try a Chinese buffet.

We are taking delivery of the buffet carts on Monday but due to Songkran we will start around the 20th April, there will be 12 dishes and 2 Soups, I have not decided on a price yet.

Tha hotel will open this Friday (15th April) and we are still trying trying to finish of the website but the holidays mess everything up.

We are open at the moment 5pm until Midnight.. but we will close 18th and 19th for Songkran

That will be why there were so many people eating there then. Lots of British farangs in that area and nearly all of them seem to like (and miss) a "proper" UK-style Chinese meal. Sounds like the owner has targeted his market well.

Darrel could you explain the difference between English style Chinese and what I would expect in America for instance ?

I have eaten there twice so far, and yes, I am English.

The food was well cooked and tasty. I loved the Crispy Lamb starter. There were three of us, an Australian, a Thai and myself - English. We ordered a selection to share and everyone loved the food. The portions were good - in fact, so good that we took some home. afterwards.

The menu (which was posted on-line elsewhere) is large, with 129 items, plus a drinks menu. The menu lists the dish name with a description of what is in the dish, and the name is in Thai for your Thai companion.

The other good touch is the kitchen is behind a glass screen, which means you can watch the food being prepared and cooked, knowing it is done in the most hygienic kitchen facilities.

I ate there a couple of days ago. Overall very good. Amongst other things I ordered prawn chopsuey and received what looked to me as being prawns with mixed vegetables. I've always considered chopsuey to be bean sprouts, as that's what I've been used to getting in the UK. Am I wrong?

Edited by dogtim

For chop suey, the actual veggies in there are a (western) regional variation. Yes, bean sprouts are very common in it, but not required. As a very bland dish, not my favorite. The last time I had though was in a super old fashioned Cantonese restaurant in San Francisco's Chinatown but so long ago don't remember about the sprouts or not (but I do recall sliced western celery). In the US, this is a very RETRO dish and not so common anymore, is it on most UK style Chinese menus?

http://www.snopes.com/food/origins/chopsuey.asp

Edited by Jingthing

I have eaten there twice and have been impressed by the settings, decor, quantity of food served in a dish (the appetizers are a meal). It will take me a while to adjust to the difference in UK, Chinese and NY and mid West Chinese but I am sure I will adjust.

Don't kid yourself that this is a teaser menu and price just waiting to adjust upwards when it gets popular. Ian has put a lot of thought and money into China Gardens as he did with his English restaurant (Jolly Friar)just west of here. When he opened that a year ago and took on the Village Chippy head to head with comparable prices, a larger menu and air conditioned besides people said the same thing and his prices have remained the same and become one of the most popular restaurants on Soi Lenkee.

I would think that monthly revenue per sq. meter Jolly Friar is second only to Le Ketai and Ian is a major participant in the success of that restaurant, that has been around for years on Soi Lenkee. Good job Ian, keep up the good work and see you on Monday with my group of 20-25 diners.