What Does 2 Entry Mean?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I originally arrived in Thailand on a visa exempt entry for 30 days, obtained on entry. I then got a 7-day extension in Bangkok. I then went on to Laos and got a 60-day tourist visa with 2 entries.

The 60-day visa I got in Laos runs out soon. I am unsure what the "2 entry" means. I thought it meant I have to leave Thailand and when I return I'll get another 60-days. But someone told me that I might be able to get an extension without leaving.

Can someone please clarify what my options are?

Thanks.

You can extend once for 30 days at an immigration office. After that you can leave the country and re-enter on the second entry for another 60 days, which you can also extend for 30 more days.

Make sure you re-enter before the 'use before' date on your visa.

You can obtain a 30 day extension of stay from the nearest immigration office by filling out TM.7 form with photo and paying 1,900 baht if on the first entry of a two entry tourist visa. You should do it early as no days are lost. But check your expiration date on the visa as you will need to make your second entry before that date so you may have to leave a day or two early to take advantage of that. You can also extend your second entry.

Thanks for the information. It's good to know that I can get an extension.

The current entry (first) expires on 11th April. So I can get 30 extra days. However, I was planning on going to the UK in early June. 60-days takes me to that date, but 30 doesn't. So I am considering my best options.

If I leave the country now and don't go to immigration, will I get 30 days or 60 days?

If I go to immigration for a 30-day extension then leave and return somewhere else (such as Cambodia or Vietnam) I will get 60 days. But I will be popping back to the UK in June, which means I won't have used that 60 days. So what happens when I return to Thailand from the UK? Will I still have the extra days or does it start again at 60 days?

Sorry if it's confusing.

If you leave now and return on your second entry, you will again get 60 days.

Once you leave the country your entry expires, unless you get a re-entry permit beforehand at immigration. If you go this route, you can leave the country and return without expiring your current permit of stay. Though the days you are away will still count, you don't 'pause' your visa or move your expiration date.

I think you're best off by:

- Leaving before the end of your current 60 days, and getting the second entry activated for another 60 days.

- Go to England and while there, apply for a new double entry tourist visa for your next trip.

Edited by Jdietz

I think you're best off by:

- Leaving before the end of your current 60 days, and getting the second entry activated for another 60 days.

- Go to England and while there, apply for a new double entry tourist visa for your next trip.

Yes, I agree. Thanks for being so helpful.

Pleasure.

Also the double-entry visas obtained in the UK usually have a longer validity (180 days), so you can fully use to 60+30+60+30. The Regional visas usually have a 90 day validity on issue, causing you to lose a day or two on the first extension (or lose the second visa if you're not careful counting the days).