Bangkok Carparks To Close At Midnight

george

Carparks to close at midnight

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Transit System is set to change the times for its Park & Ride service for the Skytrain from next month.

From October commuters will only be able to park their vehicles from 6am until midnight.

Previously, its parking lots were serviced around the clock.

The change is to prevent people who are not mass-transit users from leaving their cars at its carparks overnight - and limit costs.

BTS will still not charge carpark users a parking fee.

Previously, BTS has been responsible the operating expenses of the carparks. But from next month the Mass Rapid Transit Authority will pay about one-third of the costs, which include electricity and salaries for security guards. Total costs are about Bt150,000 a month.

--The nation 2005-09-26

I would be interested to know where these car parks are and if they are actually safe to park there.

I like to use the skytrain, but often end up driving all over instead of parking and using the skytrain because I don't know where to park.

In a word GREAT.... :o Well built,runs well (most days) and cool...never been dissapointed.

Only problem is that it aint really finished yet.

The Sky train has still to go over the T Bridge and if and when they finally extend it in the other direction to the new Suwanna airport , the Naval school and/or Samut Pracan then we will be talking a real system.

The underground is spot on if you wanna go from Pat Pong to Soi Cowboy (asoke)...where else? but maybe next time I will find out how far she really goes.

Many thanks about parking. I am on the other side of the river--the closest point for me is the Taksin station. If it ever comes across the river, it'll be great.

The sky train works wonderfully. I can get so much done using it rather than driving all over and sitting in traffic for hours. I try to get to the nearest one, park and then get my things done. What used to take all day, now takes a few hours or less.