Time For Action

MrE

I would say that quite a number of visitors DO rent bikes, and I notice that many more tourists are renting cars. I have no idea about percentage renting, just seems a lot to me.

You are right, there certainly are a lot of people renting bikes, you see them every where you go, but it's the percentage of the total, that's the important figure. Obviously, I don't know the figures any more than you do, but I would guess, that for every 100 tourists, about 5 are renting bikes (That's about 5%) And the people renting cars and hiring drivers would total less than 5 put together. As I said, I'm basing that on nothing in particular, just my gut feeling.

On the east coast.. from what i see in guesthouses and smaller hotels is that almost 100% of the guests have rented cars or motorbikes except the hippies who just spend their days walking with a plastic bag on a stick huckleberry fin style.

Yes, I have to agree that visitors staying in guesthouses and smaller (read cheaper) hotels almost always rent some sort of vehicle. Almost every visitor I meet rents a bike, a few rent a car. And I would also agree that tourist staying a the higher end hotel most likely use taxis or hired driver. So it's a mixed picture, I would hazaed a guess and say that 50% of tourists do rent a vehicle, and that number has increased due to bad publicity about Tuk Tuks.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have to agree that visitors staying in guesthouses and smaller (read cheaper) hotels almost always rent some sort of vehicle. Almost every visitor I meet rents a bike, a few rent a car. And I would also agree that tourist staying a the higher end hotel most likely use taxis or hired driver. So it's a mixed picture, I would hazaed a guess and say that 50% of tourists do rent a vehicle, and that number has increased due to bad publicity about Tuk Tuks.

:o Really? Your guesstimate is 5 times higher than mine. You think, half of all the people that step off a plane at the airport, will hire a bike or car?

So if you walk on to Patong and Karon beach in the middle of the day, half of all those people (not counting the kids) will have a car or bike parked at their hotel? Sounds really dubious to me!

Edited by BangTaoBoy

:o Really? Your guesstimate is 5 times higher than mine. You think, half of all the people that step off a plane at the airport, will hire a bike or car?

So if you walk on to Patong and Karon beach in the middle of the day, half of all those people (not counting the kids) will have a car or bike parked at their hotel? Sounds really dubious to me!

They walk for the most part or stay in their crappy resorts.

Tuktuks are used mostly by people going from karon-kata to patong. The in patong crowd who uses tuktuks have to be the lazy fatties, the eldery and the drunk crowd at night

I'm just 'hazarding' a guess based on the tourists I meet (and 90% I meet hire some sort of vehicle). I have no official data and I'm not going to make a big deal out of this. Just my opinion, you are very welcome to your opinion.

Edit// just to add, most tourists I meet are not staying in front line hotels.

They walk for the most part or stay in their crappy resorts.

Tuktuks are used mostly by people going from karon-kata to patong. The in patong crowd who uses tuktuks have to be the lazy fatties, the eldery and the drunk crowd at night

Tuk tuks and taxis are used by tourists in every part of the island. All the big hotels in Laguna, have taxi ranks near them. As do all the hotels in Bangtao, Kamala, Surin, Nai Harn, Nai Thon, Nai Yang, etc etc etc. As well as outside markets and Tescos, Big C and anywhere else there is likely to be punters.

I'm not quite sure how so many of them scratch a living, if 50% of all tourists are providing their own transport??

I'm just 'hazarding' a guess based on the tourists I meet (and 90% I meet hire some sort of vehicle). I have no official data and I'm not going to make a big deal out of this. Just my opinion, you are very welcome to your opinion.

Edit// just to add, most tourists I meet are not staying in front line hotels.

As I said, I'm only guessing as well, and I don't think anyone's making a big deal out of it, are they? I certainly wasn't.

With 50 procent renting a vehicle the parking lots at the resorts would be overflowing. Has to be far less.

I think you're right. A hotel with 100 guest and 50 of them needing to park a vehicle would definitely cause problems. Not only that, but you would definitely notice the difference on the roads as well, not only the volume of traffic, but there would be a lot more accidents, if that many people, who had no experience of Phukets chaotic roads, were let loose behind the wheel for the first time.

A huge amount of holiday makers, don't make it that far from the beach, the hotel pool and the nearest bars and restaurants. They want to relax, and can't be bothered to drive around exploring. Lots of people will do this at the same hotel, year after year. Not my idea of fun, but each to their own.

With 50 procent renting a vehicle the parking lots at the resorts would be overflowing. Has to be far less.

I think you're right. A hotel with 100 guest and 50 of them needing to park a vehicle would definitely cause problems. Not only that, but you would definitely notice the difference on the roads as well, not only the volume of traffic, but there would be a lot more accidents, if that many people, who had no experience of Phukets chaotic roads, were let loose behind the wheel for the first time.

A huge amount of holiday makers, don't make it that far from the beach, the hotel pool and the nearest bars and restaurants. They want to relax, and can't be bothered to drive around exploring. Lots of people will do this at the same hotel, year after year. Not my idea of fun, but each to their own.

exactly, they stay around, they dont use the tuktuks or if they do its only once or twice.

exactly, they stay around, they dont use the tuktuks or if they do its only once or twice.

Which is exactly why most of them don't have any issues. They only use them a couple of times, at a few hundred baht a pop. That's not going to ruin anybodies holiday is it?

Full timefor many years and have only used a tuktuk once, none of my friend have ever used one and no 1 that has visited me has ever used one. Most tourist i have talked to at the business have not used one outside of bangkok.

Theres a reason most tuktuk sit all day and are lucky to get 1 fare.. Most people do not use them unless they have no other choices and they are many many choices.

As for yourself, have you ever left the patong/karon area? Not many tuktuks.

You conveniently forgot this time to mention your run-in with a tuk tuk last year when you gave the driver the bird and after he chased you home you posted crazy tuk tuk tris to run me off the road..[see if i can find that one also and repost it...was quite funny IIRC.Didn't you also at some time propose a direct confrontation with these drivers..like a demonstation or somit?

I didn't forget. I have other stories I left out also. There is just too many to list.

It's neither here not there, but just to keep the facts straight, if you read that crazy tuk tuk thread the flipping of the bird (incredibly satisfying and, as I said then, incredibly stupid) happened after the tuk tuk tried to run me off the road, then slowed to a crawl in front of me actively blocking me from passing on eather side just because I refused to let him bully me off the road and possibly straight into the side of 7-11. Of course all the critical commentors seem to get the sequence backwards. :)

I don't recall ever proposing a direct confrontation. Afraid that was someone else.

Let's not forget the elderly French couple that parked next to the kerb in Kata Beach, were told to move, refused to move, then were attacked by a piece of wood ( or steel, can't remember) wielding tuk tuk driver and suffered many injuries.

Did that guy that works at the Kata stand ever get caught? His buddies all said he was a bit crazy and that's why he attacked the elderly couple.

You conveniently forgot this time to mention your run-in with a tuk tuk last year when you gave the driver the bird and after he chased you home you posted crazy tuk tuk tris to run me off the road..[see if i can find that one also and repost it...was quite funny IIRC.Didn't you also at some time propose a direct confrontation with these drivers..like a demonstation or somit?

I didn't forget. I have other stories I left out also. There is just too many to list.

It's neither here not there, but just to keep the facts straight, if you read that crazy tuk tuk thread the flipping of the bird (incredibly satisfying and, as I said then, incredibly stupid) happened after the tuk tuk tried to run me off the road, then slowed to a crawl in front of me actively blocking me from passing on eather side just because I refused to let him bully me off the road and possibly straight into the side of 7-11. Of course all the critical commentors seem to get the sequence backwards. :)

I don't recall ever proposing a direct confrontation. Afraid that was someone else.

You have to admit though, that your overall attitude has changed in the last 12 months. Yes you still feel the same about them, but you seem much more resigned, and seem to understand the nature of the problem much better than you used to. That very informative, long post you made highlighted that.

I'm not trying to be patronising, but you definitely seem to be able to discuss it without your head exploding these days. I used to have visions of you selling your house and beloved motorbikes, so you could fund an underground movement against them, Black Panther style :D

Let's not forget the elderly French couple that parked next to the kerb in Kata Beach, were told to move, refused to move, then were attacked by a piece of wood ( or steel, can't remember) wielding tuk tuk driver and suffered many injuries.

Did that guy that works at the Kata stand ever get caught? His buddies all said he was a bit crazy and that's why he attacked the elderly couple.

There was report that the taxi driver was arrested, but we never ever heard whether he was prosecuted, fined, or what.

There have been a small handful of events of that severity over the years, and they are obviously completely unexcusable. I don't think it's right that people always bring those in to the Tuk Tuk discussion though, because events as bad as that are very very rare, and not part of the everyday problem that's being discussed.

There have been a small handful of events of that severity over the years, and they are obviously completely unexcusable. I don't think it's right that people always bring those in to the Tuk Tuk discussion though, because events as bad as that are very very rare, and not part of the everyday problem that's being discussed.

The only reason I brought it up as you brought up SB and him almost getting run off the road,which, I guess you could argue is a day to day event of tuk tuk drivers thinking they own the road and bullying people.

Handful of events..........I think it's more like a handful of events that got reported............

The lack of affordable transport on Phuket is really having a damaging effect on tourism on the island.

Is it? Any sources for that?

There are plenty of sources, starting with me.

On principle, I don't catch tuk-tuks, therefore, I have to stay walking distance to Bangla Road, Jungceylon and the beach, because I will not drink and ride. So, to all the guesthouse/hotel/apartment/bar owners who have a business too far away to walk, sorry, you will never see my custom.

Now, all my friends, both expats and two week tourists, are the same. So, we are now talking around 30 people. These numbers are small, but, each one of the 30 advises his friends, who visit for the first time, and it just gets bigger and bigger which financially damages business where transport is needed to get into Bangla Road for a meal and a night out. First time visitors find out the hard way, but when they return, many chose accommodation within walking distance to avoid using the tuk-tuks. This is the case with many people I know and meet.

On a larger scale, you only have to read the newspaper about the American warship that was blockaded and the tourist ship last week that was blockaded as well. Neither the thousands of naval personel or the hundreds of tourist wanted to use the tuk-tuks, so, the boats were forced to sail on by and, in relation to the warship in particular, businesses never received a baht from this massive influx of visitors who were cashed up and ready to "party."

Don't you think this did some damage to the island's tourist reputation and/or economy? Or, are you suggesting these incidents never took place?

The lack of affordable transport on Phuket is really having a damaging effect on tourism on the island.

Is it? Any sources for that?

There are plenty of sources, starting with me.

On principle, I don't catch tuk-tuks, therefore, I have to stay walking distance to Bangla Road, Jungceylon and the beach, because I will not drink and ride. So, to all the guesthouse/hotel/apartment/bar owners who have a business too far away to walk, sorry, you will never see my custom.

Now, all my friends, both expats and two week tourists, are the same. So, we are now talking around 30 people. These numbers are small, but, each one of the 30 advises his friends, who visit for the first time, and it just gets bigger and bigger which financially damages business where transport is needed to get into Bangla Road for a meal and a night out. First time visitors find out the hard way, but when they return, many chose accommodation within walking distance to avoid using the tuk-tuks. This is the case with many people I know and meet.

On a larger scale, you only have to read the newspaper about the American warship that was blockaded and the tourist ship last week that was blockaded as well. Neither the thousands of naval personel or the hundreds of tourist wanted to use the tuk-tuks, so, the boats were forced to sail on by and, in relation to the warship in particular, businesses never received a baht from this massive influx of visitors who were cashed up and ready to "party."

Don't you think this did some damage to the island's tourist reputation and/or economy? Or, are you suggesting these incidents never took place?

there are approx 2.400 Russian, and 600 Scandinavian and xxx charter tourists arriving EVERY single day in the highseason in addition to ordinary tourists by ordinary flights. They cahrtertourists stay for an average of 2,5 weeks, and they ALL use tuk-tuks daily. Some rent motocy too, but most dont drunkdrive so tuk-tuk at night. Very few rent car for more than 2 days, most with driver ("taxi")

Most of them find Tuk-tuk inexpensive (Patong Kata 400 baht) and easy and have no problems at all, and I would guess these tourists contribute to 80-90% of tuk-tuks turnover.

Travellers on a low budget, often frequenting bangla every night, may find tuk-tuks too expensive or whatever, but they are actually in small numbers. These travellers and expats boykotting tuk-tuks really does not have any effect.

regulation of transport in Phuket must come from central government, and must be controlled by central government. Local Police is to involved to be able to make a difference

The use of tuk tuks has little with users financial position, just have a 24 hour look outside Holiday Inn and Le Meridian to count arriving tuk-tuks with paying passengers

there are approx 2.400 Russian, and 600 Scandinavian and xxx charter tourists arriving EVERY single day in the highseason in addition to ordinary tourists by ordinary flights. They cahrtertourists stay for an average of 2,5 weeks, and they ALL use tuk-tuks daily. Some rent motocy too, but most dont drunkdrive so tuk-tuk at night. Very few rent car for more than 2 days, most with driver ("taxi")

Most of them find Tuk-tuk inexpensive (Patong Kata 400 baht) and easy and have no problems at all, and I would guess these tourists contribute to 80-90% of tuk-tuks turnover.

Travellers on a low budget, often frequenting bangla every night, may find tuk-tuks too expensive or whatever, but they are actually in small numbers

The use of tuk tuks has little with users financial position, just have a 24 hour look outside Holiday Inn and Le Meridian to count arriving tuk-tuks with paying passengers

Are these the same Russians I see in 7-11 buying beer and walking along the street because a beer in a bar is too expensive for them? If they can afford 200 baht for a tuk-tuk to head out and 400 baht to head home at night, surely they can afford to drink in a bar.

How long do you think it takes for people to see a sign "Rent Motorbike 150 baht a day?" 150 baht for a bike a day versus 200 baht minimum journey for a tuk-tuk, hence, many motor vehicle accidents, many alcohol related.

Most on this forum don't use tuk-tuks. We all have our different reasons for not using them. I agree that many first time tourist to Phuket use the tuk-tuks, but, after being ripped off by them and they see that there are no alternatives, I think you would find many of them that return to Phuket place themselves in a position where they didn't have to use them either.

You mentioned many people use them, but, this is because of the monopoly they have. they do not allow any other transport options to start operating on the island. They would rather sit around all day and rip off the one customer per day than charge a fair price, offer a good service, work hard and make more money.

Transport in Pattaya with the baht buses make transport on Phuket a sad joke.

Are these the same Russians I see in 7-11 buying beer and walking along the street because a beer in a bar is too expensive for them? If they can afford 200 baht for a tuk-tuk to head out and 400 baht to head home at night, surely they can afford to drink in a bar.

How long do you think it takes for people to see a sign "Rent Motorbike 150 baht a day?" 150 baht for a bike a day versus 200 baht minimum journey for a tuk-tuk, hence, many motor vehicle accidents, many alcohol related.

Most on this forum don't use tuk-tuks. We all have our different reasons for not using them. I agree that many first time tourist to Phuket use the tuk-tuks, but, after being ripped off by them and they see that there are no alternatives, I think you would find many of them that return to Phuket place themselves in a position where they didn't have to use them either.

You mentioned many people use them, but, this is because of the monopoly they have. they do not allow any other transport options to start operating on the island. They would rather sit around all day and rip off the one customer per day than charge a fair price, offer a good service, work hard and make more money.

Transport in Pattaya with the baht buses make transport on Phuket a sad joke.

Yes the Russians are the same, dining at 7eleven, drinking from bottles in public and going by tuk-tuk. I was at a dinner in Le Meridian a few weeks back, and 80% of the guests where Russians. Even though they spend 15k baht a night on hotel and food, they also use the tuk-tuks daily

Frequent chartertourists use tuk-tuk every time they are here, and are happy to pay 400 baht Patong to hotel in Kata at night. The bike for rent sign they see in hotel reception and outside hotel, but they prefere tuk-tuk

Most on this Forum do not use tuk tuks incuding me. Tuk tuks live of 2,5 week tourists using their services daily while here, most without any issues.

The way they act is unacceptable, but it takes central government to realize and wanting to do something about it for anything to improve. I have given up to hate tuk-tuks, it doesnt help, I just ignore them and I do not see them. Have to mention one episode when I as Highway Police Volunteer was marshalling a group ride. One tuk tuk didnt want to follow orders, so I ran into his front with my bike to prevent accident by he going against the convoy of 80 bikes or so. He was mad as hell until I pulled out my Police ID card. he went quietly back to his beloved tuk-tuk.

Otherwise, as said I dont see the tuk tuks any more. Unfortunately central government do not see them either. Yet.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thaivisa....-tuk-blockades/

So two weeks on, something seems to be happening.

Queue the posters who claimed nothing would be done, suddenly changes their stories or claiming that the above story, will in fact, lead to nothing...

It was all your doingrolleyes.gif

A few words from a Marine policeman is not going to do much, he has no authority on the roads, only the port.