Honda Cbr 250 R Problem

ulfen

The more I read the less I understand .....

You bought the bike in Rayong, changed the oil yourself after 440 kms, then the dealer changed the oil again after 520 kms (another 80 kms); it started overheating after one week because it had no coolant, but you drove it for two more weeks before it was repaired by Honda in Yasothon; the problems re-occurred after a further 880 kms, when you went back to the dealer in Rayong who returned the bike to Honda Bangkok, and the problems are because of bad fuel in Issan and near the Cambodia border?

And now you want a new bike, even though you don't know if this one has been repaired properly or not because it doesn't look new any more?

These mileages/locations don't seem to add up.

Are you sure there's not something being lost in translation here and the problem with the naam man wasn't naam man kruang, which would explain why the piston and cylinder had to be replaced? Something seems to be missing here.

There is a Consumer Protection Board in most provinces, with a few still to be set up; the public prosecutor's office (ajakarn) acts as a moderator for most boards.

I bougth the bike in Ban Phe. After driving for a week i wanted the shop to check out the heat. This and change oil same time. I like to use the dealer in Ban Phe because i buid it there.

I have to wait for 3 days because they did not have the tool. This was the first time the engine started to have problems. The dealer altso used cold water on the engine. Smart fellow?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bougth the bike in Ban Phe. After driving for a week i wanted the shop to check out the heat. This and change oil same time. I like to use the dealer in Ban Phe because i buid it there.

I have to wait for 3 days because they did not have the tool. This was the first time the engine started to have problems. The dealer altso used cold water on the engine. Smart fellow?

As I said ulfen, what you have posted doesn't add up, and if you are seeing the consumer protection board later today maybe it should.

First you said "the engine starts to be overheated after one week" and that this was "after 520 km driving" - but you had "changet oil after 440 km. It was black allready." Then you say " the dealer forgets to fill cooling-liquid " but by that time you had already driven 520 kms - with no coolant at all?

And it was only after the dealer had changed the oil (after a 3 day wait for a basic tool?) that "This was the first time the engine started to have problems."

You appear surprised that "Temperaturscale show nothing wrong." Most conventional coolant temperature sensors only show a reading when in a liquid, so if your gauge showed a normal reading ("nothing wrong") then there was coolant.

"Honda Bangkok" say that you have used the "wrong bensin on it", and only a week later in Yasothon (quite some way from Ban Phe) when the "bike was two-three weeks old whven the engine broke first time" Honda fitted a "New fist and cylinder".

"only 880 km driving" later you're back in Ban Phe and you have the same problem, with the bike being sent to Bangkok for the same repairs, with the problem somehow being blamed on poor petrol near the Cambodian border.

I find it very hard to believe that you could drive over 500 kms without any coolant with no apparent mechanical problems, particularly in a brand new relatively small bike, just as I find it hard to believe that any motor bike shop lacks the "right tools" to change the engine oil.

I am also finding some difficulty reconciling your mileages and your locations - they don't add up.

Now the bike has been repaired, again, but you are refusing to accept it because you want either a new bike plus your costs or " the money back. ( inkl. my expences ) "

I am not doubting that you may have a genuine claim, but unless I have misunderstood something you are likely to be disappointed.

Aiakan is a free help from the justice in Thailand. Anyone can use it.

I thought Ajakarn was the prosecutor :rolleyes:

What i have read so far you dont need free legal help, you need to wait for another repair. I do not see anywhere in Hondas warranty you can claim a new bike as long as they repair your old one

As for the fuel question, do you fill up at large pumps like Ptt and Shell, or at small no name pumps or from glass bottles. The latter are well known for being blended with liquids not suited in engines. PM member Soundman to get an explanation. He runs a Ptt pump, and has to compete with the cheating fuel sellers.

If it is about 20 mill. people living in the area of Isan & among the border of Cambodia......How many cars and motorcykles are destroyed eweryday?

I use big gasstations.

Yesterday my wife and I was in a meeting in office of Ajakan Rayong.

Honda bring 6 people in uniform, two bosses, 1 counsel and two dealers from different towns.

After a lot of discussions we had a deal for payback 102800,- THB. And a box worth 3.900,- THB.

So, all in all we win the case and I have my money today payed ready in cash in Ajakan Office.

Now I close this case an have to tell ewerybody that if you have a problem with any cardealers, housedealers, landdealers and more...... Take contact with Saakaabaa, the lokale police and Ajakan. So many people can be missused in this country. Ajakan can help you witout any cost.

THANKYOU FOR BEEING INTERESTED IN THIS CASE.......and good luck for all of you who have a problem like this.:D

Wow - a really surprising outcome.

Then again the dealer probably figures he can easily sell your bike on for that price with the current price gauging and shortage for the cbr 250. Scratched parts are dirt cheap to replace. As you said everyone wins!

Excellent tip with the Ajakan I will keep that in mind.

Ulfen very good for you that they gave you so much money back.

Are you going to buy another CBR 250 or did you had enoufh?

Thankyou, but no thankyou.

I had inuff of shit from the Honda AP.

That kind of diregards they show me was more than inuff.

Aiakan is a free help from the justice in Thailand. Anyone can use it.

I thought Ajakarn was the prosecutor :rolleyes:

What i have read so far you dont need free legal help, you need to wait for another repair. I do not see anywhere in Hondas warranty you can claim a new bike as long as they repair your old one

As for the fuel question, do you fill up at large pumps like Ptt and Shell, or at small no name pumps or from glass bottles. The latter are well known for being blended with liquids not suited in engines. PM member Soundman to get an explanation. He runs a Ptt pump, and has to compete with the cheating fuel sellers.

If it is about 20 mill. people living in the area of Isan & among the border of Cambodia......How many cars and motorcykles are destroyed eweryday?

I use big gasstations.

Very happy for the outcome. All about loosing face. Confronted by only you, they tried to play you. With bosses present and Ajakarn pushing, they didnt want to loose face. they didnt admit they where unable to repair the bike, they simply gave you the money back. :)

Yesterday my wife and I was in a meeting in office of Ajakan Rayong.

Honda bring 6 people in uniform, two bosses, 1 counsel and two dealers from different towns.

After a lot of discussions we had a deal for payback 102800,- THB. And a box worth 3.900,- THB.

So, all in all we win the case and I have my money today payed ready in cash in Ajakan Office.

Now I close this case an have to tell ewerybody that if you have a problem with any cardealers, housedealers, landdealers and more...... Take contact with Saakaabaa, the lokale police and Ajakan. So many people can be missused in this country. Ajakan can help you witout any cost.

THANKYOU FOR BEEING INTERESTED IN THIS CASE.......and good luck for all of you who have a problem like this.:D

• 1 year later...

Hello there,

I bought my CBR250R last year (end of May). From the very first day, the bike got problems. While running the bike in, it was not possible to shift at low revs, no torque. I tought this was due to the sport character of that bike (the previous one was a Phantom)

I got all problems (rattle, stalling engine, petrol gauge, vibrations, clutch, loss of power). look on the cbr250r forum you will see that many people complain. there are also some positive posts, coming from Honda staff, I guess...

Mechanics from Honda came three times, the bike went twice to AP Honda. The first time, it came back with all problems solved, but it lasted less than 2 000 Km. I noticed then that something was wrong the very first days, because when the bike came back from AP Honda, it got enough torque to shift at lower revs and ran much better.Last time two people came from AP Honda and made a test ride. Altough I believe there is something wrong with the injection/valves, they came with the conclusion that bearings in the clutch were the origin of the loss of power. The first mechanic who came changed the clutch, or a prt of it, why a second time? They said they would come back with a whole new clutch. After, they changed their mind and took the bike to the factory to measure power and torque. They brought the bike back with graphs showing everything was fine. I took my bike which vibrated even more than before, nobody was there from AP, only the dealer's wife who is very nice but this doesn't help anything. The bike cannot reach the same speed as when it came back from AP the first time. Example, in fifth gear, impossible to go further than 9000 rpms, at 9000 rpms, you feel that the engine is not running well. If you ride without helmet, you can hear weird noises in the cylinder head. The bike has a programmed electronic injection and an electronic ignition but when you keep the throttle at the same level (neutral gear) the engine's rotation speed varies by itself. When you ride, and keep 5000 revs ( 4500 5000 6000 doesn't matter) you feel that the engine is not running continously. My next step will be to bring the case to the court, we could be stronger if we address the issue together.

I exclusively use Gasohol 91 (E10) as recommended.

Edited by geuda

Sell your crappy thumper and buy a Ninja 250R thumbsup.gif

I must admit the Ninja 250R is by far a better bike, looks better and I think faster, but saying that I am happy enough with the Honda, it's great around town and the odd longer trip.

I must admit the Ninja 250R is by far a better bike, looks better and I think faster, but saying that I am happy enough with the Honda, it's great around town and the odd longer trip.

It will be a hard time for the japanese brands to keep their bike factories in Thailand running at a high quality level. A motorbike isn't a computer harddisk. It needs much more manual work and much more attention to keep the quality at high standard. Very hard to achieve in Thailand if you also want to keep the prices low. But i understand that they want to avoid building up production capacities in China sad.png

Good luck, Geuda. Hope Honda will come over with a fair solution for you.

I have had mine for a few days now with no problems, the manual says 91 gasohol and Benzine also 95 is okay, just like with everything you can be very unlucky. good outcome though!!

I use normal 91 and gasohol 91 I think it runs better on the normal. But then I dont really like gasohol anyway :ph34r:

Had a few slight problems in the 1st 1000km but nothing since the engine has loosened up.

Op do you get your fuel from the same garage each time?? Could be crap fuel (had it before with PTT) I dont think the cbr comes with an inline fuel filter. Might be worth checking.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I have had mine for a few days now with no problems, the manual says 91 gasohol and Benzine also 95 is okay, just like with everything you can be very unlucky. good outcome though!!

I use normal 91 and gasohol 91 I think it runs better on the normal. But then I dont really like gasohol anyway ph34r.png

Had a few slight problems in the 1st 1000km but nothing since the engine has loosened up.

Op do you get your fuel from the same garage each time?? Could be crap fuel (had it before with PTT) I dont think the cbr comes with an inline fuel filter. Might be worth checking.

Dun think they would have replaced his clutch, twice, due to bad fuel... Sounds like he got a lemon.

sell a bike he bought a couple of days ago for an equally crap bike that costs 60% more clap2.gif

I was talking to Gueda who got the lemon from Honda.

The Kawasaki Ninja sells for 147,500 Thai Baht. Where can you buy a Honda CB'r' 250 for 60% less?!

Sure the Ninjette is a bit more expensive, but it's also a better bike. Sometimes you get what you pay for - by all accounts the Ninjette is more powerful and durable than the fragile new CB'r' 250.

I use normal 91 and gasohol 91 I think it runs better on the normal. But then I dont really like gasohol anyway ph34r.png

Dun think they would have replaced his clutch, twice, due to bad fuel... Sounds like he got a lemon.

I have no idea what faults he has BUT it does sound strange how many things he's complaing about AND how it was ok for 2.000km but ALL THE faults came back!!!!!!

My thoughts are 1st bike. Poor maintenance and thinking that single cylinder Bikes are smooth as cars!

But OP if I'm wrong. Sorry still find it strange. Also have you ridden a different cbr250 to see if its similar???

Edited by thaicbr

I have no idea what faults he has BUT it does sound strange how many things he's complaing about AND how it was ok for 2.000km but ALL THE faults came back!!!!!!

My thoughts are 1st bike. Poor maintenance and thinking that single cylinder Bikes are smooth as cars!

But OP if I'm wrong. Sorry still find it strange. Also have you ridden a different cbr250 to see if its similar???

Had the same thoughts first, maybe a "bike hypochondriac" wink.png

But dificult to say without seeing the bike first hand.

"I got all problems (rattle, stalling engine, petrol gauge, vibrations, clutch, loss of power)..."

Its all a bit vague. Some could be "real problems", some could be caused by poor maintenance, or some even not a problem at all. But we also know that some "bike professional mechanics" can cause problems here in LOS smile.png

Edit: But it reminds me of my Tiger. So many problems come and go and change, you can hardly describe it all without going mad ;)

Edited by wantan

sell a bike he bought a couple of days ago for an equally crap bike that costs 60% more clap2.gif

The Kawasaki Ninja sells for 147,500 Thai Baht. Where can you buy a Honda CB'r' 250 for 60% less?!

Sure the Ninjette is a bit more expensive, but it's also a better bike. Sometimes you get what you pay for - by all accounts the Ninjette is more powerful and durable than the fragile new CB'r' 250.

cbrs are not "fragile" except in you kawasaki adled mind

better value and faster 1-100km anyway

for 2 slow bikes ,the cbr is better equipped

cbrs are not "fragile" except in you kawasaki adled mind

better value and faster 1-100km anyway

for 2 slow bikes ,the cbr is better equipped

Although I do like the Kawasaki the Honda is great, to me 100-120kph is fast enough,of course it will go faster, very comfortable, the gears are very light a pleasure to use, brakes excellent, very good on fuel, can not find the oil filter!! the manual does not show an oil filter(does this bike have one?

Honda Cbr 250 perfect for around town, love it more each day!!

Edited by kawapower

Honda Cbr 250 perfect for around town...

Would say so too. It even has a fuel gauge :) And with ABS ... perfect for city and short trips.

I consider all "Bike X is bettter than bike Y" statements as stupid. We should be happy that there are bikes to compare and that they are different. Ninjette for the sportier guys, CBR for the people who like it more up to date. All about personal preferences.

I can't believe you traded a Z1000 for a CBR250 !

Only a couple of weeks ago you were posting dozens of comments about how it was the best bike in Thailand and how fantastic it was etc....

What changed your mind, did you scare yourself on it?

Only a couple of weeks ago you were posting dozens of comments about how it was the best bike in Thailand and how fantastic it was etc....

lol No the bike did not scare me, I am not a touring type person, I prefer shorts trips and I do like driving in and around Phuket, the trouble is if I see something that I like even though my head says no my heart usually always wins, yes I am mad and I have lost a fair bit of money on cars and bikes since being here, it has taken me 3 yrs and 2 cars to get the car I like which is the Nissan March, it has taken me 3yrs and 2 bike bikes to get to the bike I really should own considering the type of driver I am and where I live, the Z was the best bike I have ever shortly owned, but it was not good in traffic, the clutch was quite heavy and I used to get very tired driving it, it's certainly not a bike for the town, in the end I thought I should sell and give it to someone who would fully appreciate it, a nice Young Russian guy is now the proud owner so all is good, even though I say these things I change my mind often so watch the classifieds rolleyes.gif one thing I do know is that I will never buy a big powerful bike again I much prefer the smaller lighter bike which is more comfortable to drive.

Yes I am Ting Tong!!!! Certainly can not afford to lose any more money on vehicles!!

But I do love Supersports!! stop it!!!!! blink.png

Edited by kawapower

Yes I am Ting Tong!!!!

You can say that again! What did you have before your Nissan March, a BMW M5?? tongue.png

lol no Toyota Hi lux Pre runner, then the Mazda 2 Saloon. Nissan March is excellent!!

You sir are clearly mad and you definately have more money than sense. wink.png

Yes I am Ting Tong!!!!

You can say that again! What did you have before your Nissan March, a BMW M5?? tongue.png

lol no Toyota Hi lux Pre runner, then the Mazda 2 Saloon. Nissan March is excellent!!

You sir are clearly mad and you definately have more money than sense. wink.png

Absolutely apart from the more money than sense part, but oh have lots of money I would change a car or bike every 3 months maybe every 3 weeks lol

Edited by kawapower

Yeah, talk about a serious buzz kill. Z1000 to CB'r' 250... OUCH!