Trusting Hospitals

Phil_ne_uk

For the last 8 years I’ve had a small sort of cist/boil on my head behind my lower ear. Its not bothered me but I was going to have it removed in the UK before moving here to Pattaya but didn’t get an appointment soon enough. It’s never been a problem until 2 days ago when it got bigger, about the size of a large pea now and is sore when lying on that side. Anyway after reading some of the horror stories about hospitals here I’m pondering about whether to go to a hospital and if I can trust them! If I go, can I ask them what the cost would be for removing it before committing to anything? Are they capable and if so which hospital would anyone recommend?

Thanks

Phil

I'm not sure about Pattaya but I've had various lumps and bumps diagnosed and lasered off without problems at Bumrungrad in Bangkok. You should have no difficulty getting a cost estimate. I think the key point is to get it correctly diagnosed. This may require a biopsy and lab work. The cost would be significantly more if it has to be done under general anaesthetic.

I also recommend Bumrungrad. It's rated #1 in South Asia and my experiences has all been positive. I went there for cataract removal (actual my lenses were replaced with artificial ones). The only hospital I felt confident with. They will give you an estimate and my experience has been very good about the Doctor informing you about everything, not like some I've been to in Chiangmai.

I chose my Doctor through their website and looking at the credentials of each in the specialty I needed. Made an apointment and was quite satisfied with him and arranged the procedure.

http://www.bumrungrad.com/

Edited by tywais

See Dr. Anna at Bangkok Pattaya hospital. She's in the new wing in the back. I think she spent 10 years working at a great hospital in California.

I went to her last year. She was great and she speaks English like a American. No nonsense and very sharp.

As I remember, the initial consult is aboiut 400 baht, then she lasered two spots on me and took a biopsy for about 5000 baht. The biopsy was positive, so she had to cut a spot off my arm for another 5000 baht.

I have recently had laser CO2 to remove several skin liaisons at Vejthani Hospital and can say without a doubt it was a much more professional operation (doctor/hospital/nurse) than earlier visits to Bumrungrad. There are a number of Bangkok hospitals I would seek treatment at before returning there. But as with anything the doctor is the most important person so even the smallest place may provide excellent care if there facilities allow and a good doctor is at hand. The higher price at top line hospitals does provide more time for doctor to make decisions so for those that can afford it they are probably worthwhile.

Any doctor should provide total cost upfront before any treatment (outside consultation) is undertaken and in my recent visit total for doctor/medications/procedure was provided without asking before treatment and option was also to do at another date.

Sorry can not provide recommendation in Pattaya but you might get a list of qualified doctors from your Embassy.

I also recommend Bumrungrad.  It's rated #1 in South Asia and my experiences has all been positive.  I went there for cataract removal (actual my lenses were replaced with artificial ones). 

Hi Ty

Do you mind saying how much the cataract op cost? Did you have both eyes done?

I have just had an operation to re-attach the retina in my right eye at Bumrangrad Hospital and cannot speak highly enough of the surgeon, staff and facilities there.

The price was high but for the type of operation it was and the treatment I received afterwards I was happy to pay that much. The service by all the nursing staff was excellant. Much better than I would have received in any hospital in Australia.

Prior to the operation I had it priced in Australia at two hospitals and here in Bangkok it was about half that I would have paid there.

One satisfied customer. :o

I had a lump in the back of my neck, and it was also getting bigger. I went to Bangkok Pattaya hospital, they took me to to the outpateint surgery dept. The doctor gave me an antibiotic, and made an appointment for four days later. two days past and no improvement so i went back and they took the lump out. It was a saibasous syst. they sent it to their lab in bangkok, and it was negative. The surgery and aftercare ended up costing about 8000 baht. Took 5 stitches to close the incision, so you can see it wasn't small.

Barry