Best Cheap Smartphones

luxecat

Android?

Why buy here? Are you staying/living in Thailand?

Which 3G networks, specifically, do you plan on using?

There are quite a few recent, comprehensive threads running in this forum on this subject, with a lot of detail and first-person reviews.

In that price range the Samsung Cooper, Galaxy SL, WellcoM A99, HTC Wildfire, HTC Desire (closer to 15,000) have all received positive reviews.

Edited by lomatopo

I have also been looking at cheap smart phones. I am currently looking at the Motorola Quench XT502 - it's now down to 6500 baht. Opinions from you smart phone experts would be appreciated.

As I live in the middle of nowhere, I'm not interested in 3G. I've watched all the youtube reviews and although nobody raves about it for 6500 baht it seems to tick most of (my) the boxes. (apart from the terrible name).

I would love a HTC Desire HD, but I just can't justify it.

"I'll be arriving in Bangkok in May."

If you are coming from somewhere that sells them (like the UK) you may be better off buying a Blade (aka Orange San Francisco) for under 5000B before coming here.

I still cant see the point of paying 2, 3 or 4 times more for another phone (especially as you say you want a cheap one), unless you particularly want to use True 3G.

Thanks lomatopo for your prompt reply. I did just notice the other thread on the smartphones. It seems the Samsung Cooper is worth a look.

The reason I want to buy the phone in Bangkok is for my Thai girlfriend. She has an old Nokia that I got her a few years ago and is now old technology. And since I just bought an Apple 3Gs here in Los Angeles I want something to communicate with her. I'm not sure I trust the used Apple market in Bangkok, and a new one is too expensive for me. I'd like some kind of warranty. I'm not sure what 3G network she would use. This is all new to me. I assume MBK is the place to buy it.

Second hand iPhone 3GS as-new can be had for that money. Your TGF will appreciate it and it's by far the best smartphone for that price. Just need to find one that's in pristine condition, there should be many to pick from. I recently sold a brand new factory unlocked 3GS for 11k. It's a steal at that price.

Important for iPhones: ONLY BUY FACTORY UNLOCKED!!! If you don't your GF will soon own a shiny brick that doesn't make phone calls, and you will spend hours and / or money to get it working again, if it can be made to work again at all.

Thanks all for the good input.

And Nickster your are probably right. I know my TGF will love the iphone, I know I do. Where is the best place to look for a good used iphone in Bangkok? Also if I purchased one in the States could she use it in Thailand? And how much for the basic monthly service plan?

Thanks

Thanks all for the good input.

And Nickster your are probably right. I know my TGF will love the iphone, I know I do. Where is the best place to look for a good used iphone in Bangkok? Also if I purchased one in the States could she use it in Thailand? And how much for the basic monthly service plan?

Thanks

USA iPhones are not factory unlocked, so no matter what anyone tells you DON'T BUY. They can be hacked to be unlocked, but then they'll re-lock and you're screwed. Or at least you have a lot of hassle.

Buy a factory unlocked iPhone, and you never have this issue. Buy second hand any mall in Thailand, for about 11k for a new condition 3GS. Or less. Check the phone for 11k it should not have a single scratch anywhere. Plenty of choice.

Make sure it's factory unlocked.

Edited by nikster

^I have an iPhone that was bought in USA and it works fine here.

Yes - until you update it to the latest OS. Which is when it stops working. Then you have to do this, that, and that, to get it working again, but most likely you're going to be without iPhone for a few months. There's no magic trick to make it working again- you have to wait until the hackers come out with a new hack to unlock the phones again.

You could say: Don't update it. Sure - if you know what you're doing, and if you don't care about the features in the new versions.

But why would you go through all this trouble if you could just for a few 100 baht more buy a factory unlocked phone, which is officially unlocked by Apple, not hacked, and just works? It doesn't make sense to buy a USA iPhone. If they were half price I'd say - maybe; but as it is they're usually nearly as expensive as factory unlocked models, mainly because people have no clue what it means when an iPhone is jailbroken and unlocked by a hack.