Is Airasia Totally Incompetent?

garyh

I have been trying for the last 3 hours to book tickets to return to Australia, first the web page kept resetting half way through entering my profile details. Finally I get my profile setup but it does not allow me to setup credit card details. So I enter the booking get to the payment step and and try to make payment with the credit card, nothing happens it just sits there doing nothing.

Tried the online chat the agent just disconnected after a long wait. So I rang there Bangkok office and they said I can book on the phone but the price is nearly 50% more.

So is Airasia totally incompetent?

Have been on their website all morning looking for a trip, the website seems okay to me. But am at the office so the network is okay as well.

I can make a booking right up to the point of paying for it and no go.

plus you are booking when all fares are 20% off.

System is probably struggling. No excuse for it, but I suspect a more expensive IT system would cost more, and hence, so will your fares.

Don't even bother with them these days. Go a scheduled full service carrier and save myself grief through the entire process.

And you have yet to actually board a plane....take my advice for it - not being able to book a ticket might not be a bad thing after all. I once had opportunity to experience this personally when no other airline had seats available to KL. Never again.

:whistling:

I've never been disappointed with Air Asia. Their scheduling is a bit...ambitious, so by the last flight of the day there is usually quite a bit of accumulated delay, but you would be reckless to rely upon this.

Let me understand the question again.

"I cannot book a ticket. Are they totally incompetent?" hmmmm...

You could persevere for as long as it takes, or go to a different air line. Up to you.

I think Air Asia are more interested in selling tickets, rather than whether any specific individual buys one, so to assess their competence we would need to look at how many tickets they manage to sell.

My understanding is that they do quite well in selling tickets...

SC

I've never been disappointed with Air Asia. Their scheduling is a bit...ambitious, so by the last flight of the day there is usually quite a bit of accumulated delay, but you would be reckless to rely upon this.

You could persevere for as long as it takes, or go to a different air line. Up to you.

I think Air Asia are more interested in selling tickets, rather than whether any specific individual buys one, so to assess their competence we would need to look at how many tickets they manage to sell.

SC

No matter how much I have tried I can not buy a ticket online, they will do it over the phone and it will cost nearly 50% more. No discount because I can't do it online at present turns out there is a problem with the website, doesn't matter I have got tickets with Jetstar at a similar price just have to go to Melbourne then back to Brisbane. Had a 8 hour wait in KUL with airasia anyway so travel time is not much different.

After flying for over 40 years on 6 continents and dozens of airlines I have to say that the one time I flew with them was sufficient to conclude that they were the worst experience for me. The meager savings "enjoyed" is not worth it.

SC

No matter how much I have tried I can not buy a ticket online, they will do it over the phone and it will cost nearly 50% more. No discount because I can't do it online at present turns out there is a problem with the website, doesn't matter I have got tickets with Jetstar at a similar price just have to go to Melbourne then back to Brisbane. Had a 8 hour wait in KUL with airasia anyway so travel time is not much different.

Excellent - so everyone is happy!

SC

Welcome to the modern world of automation. I could find no way of confirming my flight on Cathay Pacific and neither could my travel agent. I just went and hoped everything had not changed from when I booked 6 months previously. Fortunately, everything was okay, but I worried for a while. I had similar problems trying to book a hotel in Bangkok on line. They booked my room okay, but there was no way to contact them for a pickup at the airport. And, the booking agent didn't reply to my e-mail about it. I just took a taxi and a self drawn map to show the taxi driver.

A similar problem happened to my friend whose American bank's VISA was not recognized and there was nobody you could contact. I can rattle on and on about companies that go totally automated and there is no way to contact them. It happens everywhere. Fortunately, there are a FEW businesses who still actually employ humans.

Welcome to the modern world of automation. I could find no way of confirming my flight on Cathay Pacific and neither could my travel agent. I just went and hoped everything had not changed from when I booked 6 months previously. Fortunately, everything was okay, but I worried for a while. I had similar problems trying to book a hotel in Bangkok on line. They booked my room okay, but there was no way to contact them for a pickup at the airport. And, the booking agent didn't reply to my e-mail about it. I just took a taxi and a self drawn map to show the taxi driver.

A similar problem happened to my friend whose American bank's VISA was not recognized and there was nobody you could contact. I can rattle on and on about companies that go totally automated and there is no way to contact them. It happens everywhere. Fortunately, there are a FEW businesses who still actually employ humans.

I used to rely very heavily on Cathay Pacific's on-line booking, and found it to be excellent. Having said that, I always booked fairly simple tickets. Their counter service at the offices, whenever I have had to cause to use it (refunds, special package trips etc) - excellent. If only they flew the routes I currently use... though having said that, if I was paying out my own pocket, I might opt to fly another carrier for the sake of saving a few quid.

The Air Asia site is certainly infuriating with all its counter-intuitive 'extras' that need to be excluded. And it is frustrating not being able to pay direct debit for flights originating overseas - but we are none of us perfect and in my opinion Air Asia fully deserve the market share that they have achieved.

I suspect that Malaysian Airlines has also been prompted into substantial improvement by their competition, as well....

SC

SC

You cannot book online and they charge you 50% more to book on the 'phone. Sounds like good business practice to me not incompetance.

Like SC, I've never had a problem booking except for having to wait a little when they are experiencing heavy web traffic due to a sales promotion.

You might want to try https://mobile.airasia.com, which is sometimes more responsive than the main site during a big sale. Also, if you are having payment problems try using a debit card. This has worked for me and others.

But thanks for the link just adds to the mystery as to how companies like this can stay in business.

The ONLY reason is price. As much of a clusterfuc_k as the booking process usually is, it is still worth the trouble for the price. Just booked online this morning (as usual, they would only accept my debit card), the only competition on the route I booked was Bangkok Airways (more than double the price of Air Asia) and Thai Airways (more than triple the price, in fact I had to double check because I thought they had quoted me a business class fare :blink:

Now the Thai web site IS poor. Particularly in the fares it quotes. Generally, if you go through the travel agents' system, (i.e. via a travel agent) you will get a better fare (in my now perhaps out of date experience).

SC

SC

The only time I tried booking on-line with Air Asia I had a problem when it asked me for a contact number, put in my mobile no. and computer say No ! contact number must not contain any 0's..put in many different versions but gave up in the end and bought the ticket at the airport

You might want to try https://mobile.airasia.com, which is sometimes more responsive than the main site during a big sale. Also, if you are having payment problems try using a debit card. This has worked for me and others.

But thanks for the link just adds to the mystery as to how companies like this can stay in business.

The ONLY reason is price. As much of a clusterfuc_k as the booking process usually is, it is still worth the trouble for the price. Just booked online this morning (as usual, they would only accept my debit card), the only competition on the route I booked was Bangkok Airways (more than double the price of Air Asia) and Thai Airways (more than triple the price, in fact I had to double check because I thought they had quoted me a business class fare :blink:

Now the Thai web site IS poor. Particularly in the fares it quotes. Generally, if you go through the travel agents' system, (i.e. via a travel agent) you will get a better fare (in my now perhaps out of date experience).

SC

SC

Best price I could get from several travel agents was over 75,000 Baht, they did not offer Airasia and when I mentioned it they only tried to say why I should use the airline they first offered. Airasia price online was around 30,000 Baht, there shop front in Chiang Mai was over 40,000 Baht for the same itinerary. Jetstar price online was not much different than Airasia online in the end.

After flying for over 40 years on 6 continents and dozens of airlines I have to say that the one time I flew with them was sufficient to conclude that they were the worst experience for me. The meager savings "enjoyed" is not worth it.

Can't complain, flew them last month Udon Thani - Phuket return with wife, 20kgs registered luggage, 965THB.

I have some more similar bookings to BKK and Phuket again, all less than 1k baht for 2 pax :lol:

garyh user_popup.png

Posted Today, 11:31

Hi garyh

I just completed an online booking (7-30 PM) ------ no problems whatsoever.

Compared to the several hours and countless phone calls I invested just yesterday trying to make a booking with the ratbags at QANTAS ----- The AirAsia website was a pleasure !!!!

Your problem booking online ( compared to my lack of problem ) --- just bad luck ????

--- different internet performance ????

SC

have never had any problems with Air Asia from Cooloongatta. its probably the internet causing the problem and not the airline. I used to be a Thai Air frequent flyer but now use Air Asia all the time. Its great. And last year i had friends on Samui who flew to Stanstead one way and booked a return tkt back.

SC

SC

Best price I could get from several travel agents was over 75,000 Baht, they did not offer Airasia and when I mentioned it they only tried to say why I should use the airline they first offered. Airasia price online was around 30,000 Baht, there shop front in Chiang Mai was over 40,000 Baht for the same itinerary. Jetstar price online was not much different than Airasia online in the end.

This week Air Asia advertised one way to London ex KL for bht 7,701 this is probably why the system is 'chokkers ' right now. They do have specials all the time, it pays to watch them.

Edited by oldsailor35

garyh user_popup.png

Posted Today, 11:31

Hi garyh

I just completed an online booking (7-30 PM) ------ no problems whatsoever.

Compared to the several hours and countless phone calls I invested just yesterday trying to make a booking with the ratbags at QANTAS ----- The AirAsia website was a pleasure !!!!

Your problem booking online ( compared to my lack of problem ) --- just bad luck ????

--- different internet performance ????

The problem was not the internet, I made a booking on Jetstar with no issue, looked at Qantas but they want me to go there office in BKK to show them my credit card before confirming a booking <deleted>??????????? I'm near Chiang Mai

It really pisses me off when you try to talking to companies here and they just disconnect you instead of trying to resolve the issue, had it with Airasia, AIS and several others. Anyhow won't have to worry about it next week, i'm outta here.

The problem was not the internet, I made a booking on Jetstar with no issue, looked at Qantas but they want me to go there office in BKK to show them my credit card before confirming a booking <deleted>??????????? I'm near Chiang Mai

Oh yes --- quite amazing isn't it???

Important Information

After you have completed your booking you will need to visit our office below within two working days for credit card and signature verification. Your ticket will be issued once your credit card has been sighted.

Bangkok Office

Tour East (Thailand)#, 21st Floor, Charn Issara Tower I, 942/160-163 Rama 4 Road, Silom, Bangrak

Open hours: 8.30am-5pm Mon to Fri

Phone: +66 (2) 236 2800

#Qantas representative

Add to this absolute stupidity --- the A$60.00 per person "booking fee" if you ring them trying to avoid traveling to BKK ..... Great airline -- God bless AirAsia.

try using a different browser. Often Firefox will not be good enough......some sites are designed for use with Internet Explorer

Beat me to it. ;)

For eg, Chrome will often stutter with banking where Opera will breeze through.

Only ever booked internal flights with them mostly BKK-CM etc and never any problems and that includes signing up from over "ere. :o

Never however considered the London-BK route since I have never found a price that is even remotely a bargain...plus you have all that messing around in Malaya. :ermm:

Best I could find for this month with AA was almost £800 quid while EVA (direct) is doing a flip for 555....MKJ :rolleyes: also pref. Heathrow rather that deepest chavlands...Essex... Stansted...With me freedom Pass to T1-2-3-4-5...its ...Free.

Incid just for punters of a certain age you can get 33% off the Heathrow express ticket with a Sen Cit Card and just read that they are doing a special in April giving a 50% discount. :D to everyone who books on web.