Dead Air

ChAoS87

Hi guys, I am looking to learn a new word which captured my attention. I would imagine the word is intepreted as the atmosphere being stale, quiet and maybe even resulting to the extent of awkwardness. For example, two person inside a car but not talking to each other for the whole journey. It sounds abit like this 'เจียน' or something similar.

(บรรยากาศ) อึมครึม stale and uncomfortable atmosphere

เจียน is mean 'almost' from จวนเจียน

but you might mean 'เอียน' from สะอิดสะเอียน

I asked several people already but nobody really knows what is going on :P

Are you looking for a thai word that sounds like เจียน and directly translates to "a stale and dead moment of silence" or are you looking for a word that sounds like เจียน that one might utter during this dead air moment?

I don't know any word that is interpretable to "dead air" or the sort of atmosphere that I can lively imagine from your OP that sounds like เจียน but i might know a dozen of words that one might say during these moments. Let me know

Edit: The person above me might have the answer :) Check it out.

Edited by FireInTheSky

It's when they met Koy right ? and that boy just fell silent .

อึดอัด and อึทครึม can use in the situation like this .

but i have no idea about that sound like เจียน .....

I will do some more search

errr sorry , I watch clip no 8 f that

on 7 when those two sitting silent in the car after they kissed .

now this is completely different . อึดอัด still apply but not อึมครึม

อึดอัด is uncomfortable to talk or too intense to make a move but doesn't mean from "bad" situation

still don't know about เจียน things

Edited by uppalux

ok I listened to it and the word you are looking for (6:30 in the video) = เจี๋ยน

The subtitles are just a bit off I guess but it means -in this context- something like "to sweet huh?" or something like that I guess :)

something in this direction :) it is definitely เจี๋ยน (rising tone)

Like; is that too much huh?// sweet too much huh? :)

Hope that I could help you out :) Any other queries feel free to ask 555

Edited by FireInTheSky

No no.. The incident is after lead actress strip herself and expose her body in the ski area. Then lead actor kissed her cheek after putting on the snowcap for her. Then it's the car scene, when the atmosphere was pretty awkward.

I think u got it right but does that word really fit into the context i guessed

I think it does and -yeah- the translation is just a bit off but it is translated like that to suit the situation for English speaking people :)

There is some dead air moment and we would say like "dead air huh?" but he said เจี๋ยนนะ instead :) But that's what he said basically.

It's like she became silent for something he offered and he asks if that is too sweet (too much) or if that is too much.

Something like that I guess. From now on I will use this word too when I encounter an equal situation where a girl drops silent after I made an offer she cannot refuse or something cause eventhough I heard the word sometimes I have never used it really :)

He is going back with her. She drops silent and he asks เจี๋ยนนะ

- is that too much or what? Is that too sweet ?

and then he proceeds. It is not about the atmosphere as described in the OP but more about the offer this question is referring too.

Edited by FireInTheSky

Oh i see. If that is the case, then the previous scene definetly didnt show the part which he offered sweet stuff to her. Thanks alot, that is the part which i failed to understand

It's how I interpret this but it should be something like this for sure :) This movie looks cool by the way so I might get it on DVD tomorrow :P

as far as I'm aware, the only real use in English for the term 'dead air' is during a radio broadcast when nothing is happening, like no music and no speech. :)

In a situation like the one you describe, we would usually say something like 'wow, that was awkward huh?'

So using 'อึดอัด', is it considered too offensive to exclaim the atmosphere being 'อึดอัด', as in the thai culture. Because i once heard my thai friend said 'อึดอัด' is not too nice a word to be used in speaking conversation.

oooh wait

now I know it is เจื่อนนะ thanks to the poster above.. it makes sense

Forget my posts above.. I am sure it is เจื่อน now and I mean it. I am VERY sure now 555

edit: I asked it a native speaker to make sure I am correct and ask her why too and she said:

ก็เพราะว่ามันเงียบๆๆเหมือนผู้หญิงกำลังคิดอะไรอยู่เขาเลยบอกว่าเจื่อนนะ

I guess we got it .. I hope 55

Edited by FireInTheSky