Non B'S At Vientiene?

I have heard some rumours that non B's are not as easy to get at Vientiene as they once were and that some people have been getting knocked back. Have always had a bible sized chink of papers so would only be a case of that famous discrimination.

Anyone experienced trouble or found it easy lately?

• 2 weeks later...

I do kind of wish a lot of these consulates would get together and outline exactly what you need for these applications.

Met a guy recently who had been sent up by his school twice to Laos and once to Cambodia to collect the non-B and both times they required something else - even though the school were informed by the consulate they had all the papers they needed. I think the school and the guy have had enough and are just going to go the illegal route now as he keeps missing too many school days.

No wonder some don't go through the whole legal process.*

It's frustrating to find exactly what you need as many departments and internet give you conflicting information.

* Must point out this is not a dig just at Thailand, many countries I expect have the same frustrations to go through the right channels.

Ok I have posted this for 10 days now with no reply.

The latest reports of getting a non b from laos in the 'Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region' are dated 2007 and 2008? Hardly latest reports.

Any feedback re this?

It's frustrating to find exactly what you need as many departments and internet give you conflicting information.

* Must point out this is not a dig just at Thailand, many countries I expect have the same frustrations to go through the right channels.

Yes, when you try to go the whole legal route, it's still illegal anyway because you are working on a work visa and waiting for the Work Permit. Technically, you have to wait for the WP before you begin, but no employer waits around for weeks-to-months on end for that to come back. WPs are expensive and most places want to see if you make it through the probation period before they go through the trouble and expense of processing a WP. This is normal in Thailand; it's no secret.

I know for a fact that the consulates can be very easy or difficult about providing a Non-B depending on who the employer is.

Honestly, the best way to do it is to come on a tourist visa and have the employer change it to a Non-B visa while in Thailand. You just have to have 21 days left before the visa expires. Then, you don't have to leave Thailand. A good employer with the right connections can get this done in one day!

There are countries with far more difficult visa restrictions, headaches and hassles: Vietnam, Saudi Arabia,, Kuwait... If you thought Thailand was bad, you haven't been working in enough countries to know how good you have it! That being said, Cambodia is a sinch!

Yes, when you try to go the whole legal route, it's still illegal anyway because you are working on a work visa and waiting for the Work Permit. Technically, you have to wait for the WP before you begin, but no employer waits around for weeks-to-months on end for that to come back. WPs are expensive and most places want to see if you make it through the probation period before they go through the trouble and expense of processing a WP. This is normal in Thailand; it's no secret.

I know for a fact that the consulates can be very easy or difficult about providing a Non-B depending on who the employer is.

Honestly, the best way to do it is to come on a tourist visa and have the employer change it to a Non-B visa while in Thailand. You just have to have 21 days left before the visa expires. Then, you don't have to leave Thailand. A good employer with the right connections can get this done in one day!

There are countries with far more difficult visa restrictions, headaches and hassles: Vietnam, Saudi Arabia,, Kuwait... If you thought Thailand was bad, you haven't been working in enough countries to know how good you have it! That being said, Cambodia is a sinch!

Spot on.

The problem some have is some employers have never employed farang before and don't have all the right connections and are faced with conflicting information and they don't know where to start.