Three Palestinians killed in two Israeli airstrikes in southern Gaza

News_Editor

Three Palestinians killed in two Israeli airstrikes in southern Gaza

2011-04-08 21:15:22 GMT+7 (ICT)

GAZA STRIP (BNO NEWS) -- Three Palestinian civilians on Friday were killed in airstrikes by Israel Defense Forces (IDF) in Gaza Strip, in retaliation to a series of rockets fired at southern Israel.

An Israel Air Force (IAF) aircraft hit two terrorist squads at a civilian neighborhood in southern Gaza. The operation was conducted following the heavy rocket and mortar fire at residents of the Eshkol Regional Council.

The IDF acknowledged that civilians were affected by the attack but said they were only injured. However, Palestinian media reported that at least three civilians were killed and many more injured.

At about 2:00 p.m. local time, the IAF hit the Khan Younis area in Gaza, killing a mother and her daughter while injuring at least four others. About an hour earlier, an elder man was killed in another strike in the Qarara area.

Despite not admitting the civilian deaths, the IDF regretted that civilians were affected in the airstrikes. IDF blamed Hamas for operating within its civilian population and for using them as human shields.

Commander of Southern Command, Maj. Gen. Tal Russo, said that the operations carried out by the IDF in recent days have caused Hamas "heavy blows." He added that the terrorist organization "is considering all the options."

On Thursday, IDF strikes in Gaza resulted in the death of five Palestinians in response to a Hamas attack at an Israeli school bus. Gunmen fired an anti-tank missile at the vehicle, wounding two in the process.

"This kind of attack crosses a line and the IDF is doing all it can to prevent it from happening again. We will do everything in our power to bring life in the Gaza Strip back to normal and secure traffic at crossings," said Russo.

In March, terrorist organizations fired 38 rockets and 87 mortar shells at southern Israeli communities. The total 128 attacks were the highest of the year compared to 61 in February and 83 in January.

IDF holds the Hamas terrorist organization solely responsible for any terrorist activity emanating from the Gaza Strip. In March, Israel deployed the Iron Dome missile defense system to protect Israel's southern communities from rocket threats coming from the Gaza Strip.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-08

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In March, terrorist organizations fired 38 rockets and 87 mortar shells at southern Israeli communities. The total 128 attacks were the highest of the year compared to 61 in February and 83 in January.

These articles are odd, it mentioned the total number of terrorists rockets fired over a longer period, like in last month or since beginning of the year, but never is the overall damage listed or the casualties. That would be interesting to know too.

A summary of how many rockets the Israelis had fired would be nice as well. And how many terrorists/civilians/children were killed and how many injured in the last month or since beginning of the year?

Can someone add this information?

We all know that the damage and casualties are minimal from these attacks cuz thier rockets are nothing more than homemade, ineffective projectiles and mortars only have a minimal range. That and the fact that they obviously have not much knowledge in how to employ these weapon systems effectively equals minimal effect. I note they fired a AT rocket at a bus [a disgraceful act I may add] with only one person injured thankfully. That in itself shows how ill trained they must be at employing such weapons systems, as a direct hit on a 'soft target' such as the bus with an AT weapon normally ends in complete and utter carnage.

IMO right now both Hamas and the Israeli government a carrying on like a pack of school children, very immature indeed, therefore neither side can seriously be contemplating peace negotiations at this time. :annoyed:

Hamas are injuring and killing innocent civilians on a frequent basis. When their apologists whine about Hamas not killing more often it makes their protestations of "not supporting either side" appear utterly ridiculous. :rolleyes:

This is :offtopic::spamsign:

I really should brush up on my English skills. I thought the story read that 3 Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces. Not that 3 Israelis were killed by Hamas. :ermm:

How many times is it necessary to explain that intent is just as significant as the number of casualties. If the school bus was full and the fuel tank had been hit we could be looking at 50 dead and a cast lead 2 would be a certainty. As it happens Hamas have plenty of reasons to escalate matters now, the Israelis have none.

http://www.debka.com/article/20831/

Before dawn Saturday, April 9, Hamas inflicted its heaviest missile blitz yet on southern Israel. - acting now on guidelines from the Lebanese Hizballah. More than a dozen heavy Grad missiles were aimed at seven Israeli cities injuring 10 civilians. One exploded in the sand dunes of Palmahim, aimed at Israel's nuclear research reactor at Nahal Soreq, More missiles landed south of Kiryat Gat, Ofakim, Beersheba and Ashkelon. Sirens sent people running for cover in Gedera and Gan Yavneh. The two Iron Dome systems deployed last week intercepted six of the Grad missiles fired at Beersheba, Ashkelon and Ashdod. The IDF responded by targeting three senior Hamas commanders in an air strike in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younes.

I really should brush up on my English skills.

Good idea. ;)

...in response to a Hamas attack at an Israeli school bus

More way off :offtopic::spamsign: Maybe in need of some :hit-the-fan::giggle:

Edited by coma

I really should brush up on my English skills. I thought the story read that 3 Palestinians were killed by Israeli forces. Not that 3 Israelis were killed by Hamas. :ermm:

How many times is it necessary to explain that intent is just as significant as the number of casualties. If the school bus was full and the fuel tank had been hit we could be looking at 50 dead and a cast lead 2 would be a certainty. As it happens Hamas have plenty of reasons to escalate matters now, the Israelis have none.

http://www.debka.com/article/20831/

Before dawn Saturday, April 9, Hamas inflicted its heaviest missile blitz yet on southern Israel. - acting now on guidelines from the Lebanese Hizballah. More than a dozen heavy Grad missiles were aimed at seven Israeli cities injuring 10 civilians. One exploded in the sand dunes of Palmahim, aimed at Israel's nuclear research reactor at Nahal Soreq, More missiles landed south of Kiryat Gat, Ofakim, Beersheba and Ashkelon. Sirens sent people running for cover in Gedera and Gan Yavneh. The two Iron Dome systems deployed last week intercepted six of the Grad missiles fired at Beersheba, Ashkelon and Ashdod. The IDF responded by targeting three senior Hamas commanders in an air strike in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younes.

IF IF IF

IF IF IF

No "IF" about it.

Saturday, April 9, Hamas and its allies, acting now on Hizballah guidelines from Lebanon, fired 24 heavy Grad missiles and more than 50 mortars shells at seven southern Israeli towns in an expanding radius up to Palmahim in the north. Despite bomb shelters and home guard measures, 20 Israelis were injured or suffered shock.

If the school bus was full and the fuel tank had been hit we could be looking at 50 dead and a cast lead 2 would be a certainty. As it happens Hamas have plenty of reasons to escalate matters now, the Israelis have n

"If" as I put it was in response to Steely Dans highlighted sentence. Nothing in relation to Ulyssis quotes. The fact of the matter,and some have a problem with acknowleding this fact, is that 3 Palestinians were killed in THIS attack which this OP is about. I don't wish to get into the same old arguement with the same old people about the Israeli- Palestinian conflict. As you can clearly see by my original post on this thread. It was balanced and was strictly talking about the OP. However some like to highjack these threads and take them off on another direction to voice thier apparent distain towards the Palestinians and thier supporters of a free state,such as myself. Same said peoples' position in relation Palestinians and Hamas is clear. Therefore we don't need to go over it again, again and again. Do we ?? :jap:

IF IF IF

No "IF" about it.

Saturday, April 9, Hamas and its allies, acting now on Hizballah guidelines from Lebanon, fired 24 heavy Grad missiles and more than 50 mortars shells at seven southern Israeli towns in an expanding radius up to Palmahim in the north. Despite bomb shelters and home guard measures, 20 Israelis were injured or suffered shock.

Do you have a link to this incident ? I had a quick search and could not find it. Thanks.

Do we have any independent confirmation that three were killed and that they were civilians? I say this in light of belated admission by Hamas that it lost 600-700 of it's men during the Cast lead offensive as oppose to the 49 it originally admitted. Hamas have lied before and will no doubt continue to do so.

We all know that the damage and casualties are minimal from these attacks cuz thier rockets are nothing more than homemade, ineffective projectiles and mortars only have a minimal range. That and the fact that they obviously have not much knowledge in how to employ these weapon systems effectively equals minimal effect. I note they fired a AT rocket at a bus [a disgraceful act I may add] with only one person injured thankfully. That in itself shows how ill trained they must be at employing such weapons systems, as a direct hit on a 'soft target' such as the bus with an AT weapon normally ends in complete and utter carnage.

IMO right now both Hamas and the Israeli government a carrying on like a pack of school children, very immature indeed, therefore neither side can seriously be contemplating peace negotiations at this time. :annoyed:

Right. And the Hamas military wing that took credit yesterday for firing a missile into a yellow marked school bus crippling a child was just harmless fun.

Get real.

Targeting a school bus is just sooooooo very brave.

Edited by geriatrickid

Do you have a link to this incident ? I had a quick search and could not find it. Thanks.

It's on some pro Israel blogs. More objective Haaretz has different numbers. What isn't in doubt is that some kind of escalation is occurring in the Israel/Gaza conflict.

Israel always targets civilians. Israel believes in collective punishment. Israel has killed many times more civilians than any Palestinian group. The Israeli facist zionist machine is a terrorist entity, but terrorist entities that are darlings of the west arent called what they are. And there are plenty of westerners who believe all the myths and lies and jump up and down praising the murderous regime. Quite simple really. Look at things objectively and forget the propaganda and the BS your own governments and corproate owned propaganda apparatus bizarrely described as free media, force down you and the truth is so easy to see. Those who kill the most civilains are the biggest terrorists and that includes several of our own murderous governments who do it in our names and thereby endanger their own people (us) and their own countries interests.

Yeah, so the USA is the biggest terrorist. Yada, yada, yada. Let's get real here, there is a struggle between the west and the more radical extremist fundamentalist elements of the Islamic world (not Islam the religion but the radical anti-western political elements best represented by Iran's government). It would be nice if it wasn't violent, and it would also be nice if stupid mistakes weren't made, such as Bush's adventures in Iraq. But, really, which side are you on?

Edited by Jingthing

Right. And the Hamas military wing that took credit yesterday for firing a missile into a yellow marked school bus crippling a child was just harmless fun.

Get real.

Targeting a school bus is just sooooooo very brave.

You need to read my post properly and in context before ripping the 'get real' out at me sport.

Yeah, so the USA is the biggest terrorist. Yada, yada, yada. Let's get real here, there is a struggle between the west and the more radical extremist fundamentalist elements of the Islamic world (not Islam the religion but the radical anti-western political elements best represented by Iran's government). It would be nice if it wasn't violent, and it would also be nice if stupid mistakes weren't made, such as Bush's adventures in Iraq. But, really, which side are you on?

I think that's already been established, the side shouting Allahu Akbar before shooting at civilian targets. Anyway Goldstone has retracted his findings so no Israel does not target civilians, unlike Hamas who do so almost exclusively.

Same said peoples' position in relation Palestinians and Hamas is clear.

Don't worry, your position is very clear.

So can I assume that you cannot provide a link / evidence to support the :offtopic: topic claim in your previous post then ? :redcard1:

Do we have any independent confirmation that three were killed and that they were civilians? I say this in light of belated admission by Hamas that it lost 600-700 of it's men during the Cast lead offensive as oppose to the 49 it originally admitted. Hamas have lied before and will no doubt continue to do so.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article1656847.ece If you read this article it counts 6 civilians since last thursday along with 11 militants. There is alot more news articles on google. Pick one and read . Still waiting on Ullysis to get back to me with his claims. :lol:

It's on some pro Israel blogs. More objective Haaretz has different numbers. What isn't in doubt is that some kind of escalation is occurring in the Israel/Gaza conflict.

I agree 100%. The question is why? What are thier new objectives for this spike in activity ? Hamas has definately stepped up thier offensive ops on Israel. And Israel is hell bent on giving it back to them 10 times over. Hurt one of ours, we kill 10,15, or 20 of you. Not good for anybody. Something tells me that Hamas and its military wing, al-Qassam Brigades, are not singing from the same sheet of music anymore.

You could be onto something here at last Jing. One man's terrorists is anothers freedom fighter. So in Lybia they are fighting for the US, therefore they are freedom fighters. Hamas are fighting for Palestine, not the US therefore they are terrorists. Israel, like it or not, admit to it or not. But the fact is that they do conduct terrorist activities.

"The recent Israeli attacks on the impoverished Gaza Strip since Thursday, which have caused a total of 18 casualties and dozens of injuries, lit the fuse for the massive demonstration. "

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/173818.html

This might speed things up in the region.

Tiger

Is that the same Gaza strip with the shopping mall and obesity problem? We all know the current escalation in violence is a direct result of Hamas facing unrest in Gaza, just as Ahmedinajad being unpopular in Iran - Ergo bring on the age old enemy as a distraction.

So in Lybia they are fighting for the US, therefore they are freedom fighters.

The rebels are not "fighting for the US" in Libya and they are targeting the military, rather than civilians. THAT is why they are freedom fighters, rather than terrorists like Hamas. :whistling: